Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My new Tig should arrive on Friday next week :)

I'll be driving to Germany in December and according to German law I need to have winter tyres.
My dealer advised to buy new set of wheels+tyres instead of just changing tyres as I'm leasing the car and if they scratch the alloys I'll have to pay at the end of lease.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
If it's just for one trip you would be better off just renting a car.
Plus if they strach a wheel you would make the tyre company replace it.
Buying a full set seems an expensive option unless you will use them over a few winters then sell them on.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
A proper tyre place will use the correct tools (not metal) these days to change tyres as most cars have alloys. I have a friend who always goes back to Germany summer & winter hols to visit family and they put his winter tyres on about now and VW store his summer ones. (tyres that is not wheels) until March. I think this is a bit of a sales gimmick to buy new wheels. Having said that, if I was intending to go off road a bit then maybe I would think of getting Steel wheels. I could be wrong but is it not just certain area's that it is law to have 'winter' tyres in Germany and other area's use can use 'All weather' tyres....just a thought but I'm not clued up on the law over there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
yetirider said:
If it's just for one trip you would be better off just renting a car.
Plus if they strach a wheel you would make the tyre company replace it.
Buying a full set seems an expensive option unless you will use them over a few winters then sell them on.
+1 :!:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts