Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all
As most of us are having our first real taste of proper winter, what's the verdict of any of you already in a new Tiguan on the performance in snow and ice - Already enjoyed the contributions by Slimpollack and Terrier 1964 on the subject, but interested to hear any more opinions...2 or 4 wheel drive; winter or standard tyres etc ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
was only out once yesterday the hill my street is on does not get gritted by the council as its not a bus route. cars were struggling all day to get up it. just as i was in my Tig a car was reversing down the street. i cleared the snow of my windscreen and up the hill i went. very happy with how my 2wd performed

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the 2wd variant on order and would like to know how it handles the snow? I currently drive a Ford Focus ST so i'm hoping its not as much as a handful!! :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a 2WD Tig and had no problems whatsoever last night where my previous Audi A3 would have struggled.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had some heavy now here in Iceland the last few days. Got the car 7 days ago and been driving it non-stop since. Done over 1000 miles sofar. Got the 4WD version.

Can honestly say it has perfomed splendidly so far. Yesterday there was heavy snow fall during the night and when I woke up everything was covered in snow 6-7 inches. Quite slippery on the ground and snow on top. The car coped very well with the slippery surface and heavy snow, and it neved faltered. I could feel the 4motion system working a few times correcting the car and straightening out. Stopped in a slope going up at some traffic lights and the car wen't straight up without even suttering.

Have on Nokian Hakkapeliitta SUV winter tires, not studded. Been going fantastic sofar.

·
Registered
57 Posts
4 wheel drive can help get you moving but the tyre contact patch which governs a lot of the stopping is what it is and if the tyres are summer tyres, you may struggle. I have winter tyres on my soon to be gone XC90 and they really do make a difference in keeping the car going where you want and, as importantly, stopping when you want also. Still need to be mindful of the conditions, but feels more sure footed. I'll be getting some for the Tig once it is in my grubby mitts.

A friend a few years ago treated himself to a Cayenne. Lives on a steep road, with a steep drive down to his house. The first winter with the Cayenne, he pulled onto the drive having struggled up his road only to find he struggled to stop. He did finally stop - thank heavens for that bay window! :( He then couldn't get it off the drive, eventually being towed off with the help of his wife's old Focus. Car was equipped with low profile, sporty, summer tyres. Quickly replaced with all season/winter tyres, no further problem.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Find it a bit frustrating that you don't get a choice of summer or all-weather tyres; either at the factory order, or at the dealership before delivery, given the extent of options elsewhere on the vehicle. I don't think our winters are bad enough to want to shell out on a separate set of winter tyres, but I reckon the all-weathers would be a good compromise for mostly urban or A road/motorway driving in the UK....If the weather deteriorates to that extent, then even with 4WD and the best winter tyres, you won't be able to get anywhere for all the stuck BMWs, Mercs and HGVs anyway !

·
Registered
835 Posts
KJ4x4 said:
4 wheel drive can help get you moving but the tyre contact patch which governs a lot of the stopping is what it is and if the tyres are summer tyres, you may struggle. I have winter tyres on my soon to be gone XC90 and they really do make a difference in keeping the car going where you want and, as importantly, stopping when you want also. Still need to be mindful of the conditions, but feels more sure footed. I'll be getting some for the Tig once it is in my grubby mitts.

A friend a few years ago treated himself to a Cayenne. Lives on a steep road, with a steep drive down to his house. The first winter with the Cayenne, he pulled onto the drive having struggled up his road only to find he struggled to stop. He did finally stop - thank heavens for that bay window! :( He then couldn't get it off the drive, eventually being towed off with the help of his wife's old Focus. Car was equipped with low profile, sporty, summer tyres. Quickly replaced with all season/winter tyres, no further problem.
Totally off topic...nice avatar KJ ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
My Tiguan is performing great this winter. It has performed well on wet roads covered with leaves, black ice, snow and also during heavy downpours. That said I have fitted Pirelli Scorpion winter tyres dropping a few sizes from the summer tyre to 215/65 R17 fitted on VW winter Montana alloys which has probably contibuted to the performance in theses conditions massively. Rear tailgate gets filthy quickly so glad I have the easy open function. I have also noticed quite a bit of build up of dirt under the side skirts, which is not an issue now I know to give this area more attention when washing. Heated seats and steering wheel are well worth the money. Not been suffering badly with misting of windows at all, now and again when getting into the car with wet clothes but it soon clears up so not sure why some owners have had this issue. Rubber mats front and rear are a must in my eyes during the winter months.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As I'm one of the few on here without a spare tyre, I was just wondering if there is a self-sealing 19" winter tyre. I have done a quick search and it appears no manufacturer makes them larger than 17". Just wondered if anyone on here has come across any in 19"? Used to have a Skoda Yeti 4x4 with winter tyres which was great and I know I haven't really tried this car out yet in the snow as it came and went in a day here, but just wanted to keep my options open.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Apparently Hankook have started producing Seal Guard versions of their winter tyre in 235/50r19. The standard tyre is Hancook Winter i*cept evo2 available in 235/50r19

·
Registered
146 Posts
The Continental WinterContact TS 850 P would be my tyre of choice, didn't realise it was self sealing. The tyre is rated highly in the various winter tyre tests.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the info, both these tyres look great. Can't find the Hankook's on-line yet so maybe they are too new and Continental only make the 16" & 17" available with Conti-Seal for their winter range of tyres. Maybe they will become more commonplace in the future!

·
Registered
146 Posts
VW Germany have a "Complete Winter Wheels 2016/17" catalogue which includes 19" Auchland alloy wheels with Continental WinterContact TS 850 P 235/50r19 103V XL tyres (5NA.073.229. .88Z) for the new Tiguan but the solution appears not to be available through VW UK. It's not clear if they are self sealing.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just a thought for those thinking about winter tyres, you should be aware if you intend to fit snow chains or carry them in countries where it is law to have them at hand, the new Tiguan manual stipulate you can only drive with snow chains fitted to wheel size 215/65 R17. Which is what my VW dealer recommended, so please speak with your VW dealer if you intend to have snow chains with your winter wheels prior to purchase or you could make an expensive mistake.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Interesting spot about the Tiguan manual guidance on snow chains! On that basis the SE/SEL/R-Line are supplied with wheels incompatible with snow chains :shock:

·
Registered
64 Posts
It was interesting looking at the German VW "Complete Winter Wheels 2016/17" catalogue, is it true that it's against the law if you are resident there to drive there without winter tyres fitted?
I eventually found online some 'self seal' type tyres to match the 19" standard Victoria alloys of the SEL version which are the Pirelli Scorpion Winter 235/50 R19 103H XL Seal Inside. Only thing is these have the wrong speed rating for mine and would probably invalidate my insurance plus they are really expensive at £240 each - not fitted!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought complete winter wheels for about 1600 EUR, very good price!
255/45R19 104V XL Nokian WR A4
Rims are Bossen III Matt grey (19" obviously)

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Pasquale said:
It was interesting looking at the German VW "Complete Winter Wheels 2016/17" catalogue, is it true that it's against the law if you are resident there to drive there without winter tyres fitted?
Pasquale,
In Germany all passenger cars including vehicles from foreign countries must be fitted with winter tyres or all season tyres on all axles when conditions are 'wintry'. Winter tyres (or 'all season' tyres) should be marked M+S or have the snowflake symbol on the side wall.

This means that the obligation to run a vehicle on winter tyres in Germany does not apply with reference to a particular date, but instead depends on the weather conditions.

The winter tyre obligation applies in winter conditions including ice and black ice, frost, snow and slush.

If your car is only fitted with summer tyres you
could be fined €60 just for doing so and €80 if you actually obstruct traffic. You could also be
prevented from continuing your journey unless you get the tyres changed or the weather
conditions improve.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts