Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Head unit upgrade and footwell LED

13K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Tetsumi 
#1 ·
Upgrade my old MIB2 to the newer version
It is just a plug and pay job and new facial is needed

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Reflex camera Audio equipment Camera lens

Old unit
Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Personal luxury car Gear shift

DeAuto Footwell LED
Purple Rectangle Violet Material property Automotive lighting
Product Sleeve Building Grey Rectangle

Hand Sleeve Finger Office supplies Gadget

Front badge overlay
Automotive parking light Car Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

Custom brake light cover
Cloud Sky Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Does the newer unit run off the same software as the original MIB2 unit?.

The reason I ask is the newer unit also has slightly better functionality than the older unit, one such change I noticed is how to input a postcode which is much easier on the newer system as you don't have to search for the 'Ptcd.' button.

#5 ·
CNC said:
Does the newer unit run off the same software as the original MIB2 unit?.

The reason I ask is the newer unit also has slightly better functionality than the older unit, one such change I noticed is how to input a postcode which is much easier on the newer system as you don't have to search for the 'Ptcd.' button.
This is only the screen , the actually headunit hasn't been changed , hence everything will look exactly the same as the old one , just the screen look like the newer version ! No coding need , only modification will be annatena plug at the back on the old unit is different, so has to trim down a little

#6 ·
Tubemonster said:
Not sure I'd want to dim the high level brake light like that! The brighter the better IMO.
This is the smoke version and I am having a non tinted version on the way and it will improve the brightness

#7 ·
NinjaTurtle said:
Does Volkswagen offer center unit replacements? I prefer having buttons but the visibility is really poor when it's sunny.
Don't think they will , they initially told me nothing could be done and I end up found this out off another Tiguan owner and it is possible to just change the screen! Apparently there is lots of people with golf has done this conversion ! When I bought the car , I was very disappointed with the car has got a newer unit just after 2 productions! So I always jealous about the more modern look of the new one ! But it's not sorted

#10 ·
JK-VWTiguanR said:
Looked on their website and the footwell LED's are 65 euros plus shipping so not a cheap option for sure.
I think I paid less than this , surely not 65, I think it was around 38 sth like that with 9 shipping in top

#11 ·
JK-VWTiguanR said:
Looked on their website and the footwell LED's are 65 euros plus shipping so not a cheap option for sure.
It was around £40+ when it all came through, they send you an extra set of bulbs in case its faulty rather than trying to send them back to the states. Not sure if you could just use another IR remote (ie the ones that control lights) if thats the case then If I find it I could sell the other set. Its the only LED lights that I could find that are don't bring up codes and change colours to match ambient lights

#13 ·
kucyk said:
Wait a sec, so the screen size is actually the same? Only buttons are flat, right?

Would you mind to tell how much did you pay for that upgrade and where can I get that screen?
yes this is only upgrading the old style 8" display to 8" newer style. as mine is 66reg (first production)

apparently the screen is only A SCREEN, the graphic and setting is all based on the unit in the glove box, therefore, nothing has changed from my original setting. the only change is the more modern/ up to date look compare to the newer production

I paid £220 for the screen as I verge on a brand new one without mark, however it you can have it as cheap as £150 etc.
the trim is off a 2019 R-line and I am luckily hold on to one with perfect condition for as less as £35
both item are from ebay, there is lots of screens, but Decent trim might have to wait for the correct timing.

Part number for the screen 5G6919605B (for satnav) or 5G6919605A(without satnav), obviously depends on you car if it already have sat nav
Tirm part number 5NN858069B

#14 ·
I didn't realise until I collected my car but the car I test drove had the old unit but mine came with the updated touch control, I guess I got lucky on that one

#15 ·
Djhannan said:
I didn't realise until I collected my car but the car I test drove had the old unit but mine came with the updated touch control, I guess I got lucky on that one
yes you are , saved a few dosh !! :cool:

#16 ·
Hi thank you all for the information on the 8" glass screen I have a 2016 model but it had the 8" standard screen and I have upgraded the screen today.
I could not fit it due to my injuries to my hands but I got a ex-halfords fitter to do the work for me.

After I showed him this post a videos on YouTube he removed the old screen and fitted the new on in 20 mins.
it is much more clearer and my app button works as it should, the standard screen had a traffic button but mine works as it should.

also does any body have any reconditions on a glass screen protector as it is already full of finger prints.

cheers
Jools

#19 ·
springbok said:
Would it be easy enough (expense aside) to upgrade so the vehicle has OEM Sat nav? i.e the head unit and gubbins in the glovebox. For example is it pre wired for sat nav/ plug and play?
1018 Model R line with digital instrument cluster.
I didn't think that you could get a Mk2 R Line without factory sat nav?
Unless you are not in the UK?

I would imagine that aside from the expense of the new infotainment unit in the glove box, you would need a new GPS aerial and the wiring to suit, probably some coding too.
Most difficult part would probably be getting someone to remove the component protection which I think all the new units have now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.