2.0TDI 190 Engine Noise

Faults and Technical chat for the new Volkswagen Tiguan
niggly58

Re: 2.0TDI 190 Engine Noise

Post by niggly58 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:19 pm

There is another thread started by gtd184 I believe, related to noise on the DSG version of the 190 engine. Worth a read.
2016 VW Tiguan Mk2 2.0L SEL 150 4Motion Manual Diesel. Indium Grey.
Vienna Black leather, electrically adjustable. 4 heated seats. Stainless exhaust trims, K&N 33-3005 air filter. RLine pedal covers. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tyres.

GTD184

Post by GTD184 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:03 am

Paulw wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 12:16 pm
Hi just got back from dealer after checking out my Tiguan 2L tdi DSG 190 4 motion R line for the same issue
The technician agreed it was noisy booked it in for checking but didn't find any fault
They compared it with another car and informed me that had the same fault so still no wiser
If your experience is anything like the DSG debacle I am presently embroiled in then you will probably be told its a diesel engine "characteristic"!! :roll:
Delivered 03.03.2017 - Tiguan R-Line 190ps - Pure White - Leather, Dynaudio, Keyless/Electric Tailgate, Park Assist/RV Camera, Towbar, Prog Steering, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Heated O/Rear Seats, 4 Year Warranty, Service Pack & Bootliner! :D

beacon2L

Post by beacon2L » Wed May 22, 2019 4:41 pm

I read with interest your remarks on the 190 TDI. I bought a new Tiguan SEL 150 TDI 4x4 late February and immediately noticed the intrusive engine noise at low speeds. A dreadful droning noise invades the cabin when the engine is cold and under load but when the engine is hot it is fairly quiet when cruising up to 1700rpm (around 70mph) but above that speed with the engine working harder the droning noise builds up again. I have heard before that the 190 engine is more noisy and that is why I avoided it. I have tried different fuels but with no improvement. My son has the same car and it is significantly quieter than mine. I have used diesel cars for 20 years and this car is much worse that the old (late 90s)110 bhp VW engine. Does anyone else have this problem with the 150 engine?

Look forward to reading your views on this.

TMc1908

Post by TMc1908 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:04 pm

I've got a 2019 R-Line 2.0Tdi 150 4Motion DSG and I have to say I'm really disappointed. What started out so well is slowly descending into real disappointment. The engine sounds like an old van, claterring and whirring something terrible at idle and then just really rough and nasty when driving with a whiney, almost blowy noise?! I used to have a diesel Audi and it was torquey, quiet and nice and smooth (granted was manual not auto). This thing is a noisy, underpowered, flabby mess. Where the hell is the torque? You'd think I was towing a caravan?! I touch the accelerator and there's all kinds of lag and delay, the engine is whiney and noisy when accelerating and all-round it's just a miserable driving experience most of the time. I say most of the time because on the odd occasion it's lovely. Responsive, can feel torque, nice smooth gear changes etc. Then I'll park up and when driving it a few hours later it's like I'm in a transit van? What is happening? Can anyone help?

Stevie C

Post by Stevie C » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:06 pm

TMc1908 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:04 pm
I've got a 2019 R-Line 2.0Tdi 150 4Motion DSG and I have to say I'm really disappointed. What started out so well is slowly descending into real disappointment. The engine sounds like an old van, claterring and whirring something terrible at idle and then just really rough and nasty when driving with a whiney, almost blowy noise?! I used to have a diesel Audi and it was torquey, quiet and nice and smooth (granted was manual not auto). This thing is a noisy, underpowered, flabby mess. Where the hell is the torque? You'd think I was towing a caravan?! I touch the accelerator and there's all kinds of lag and delay, the engine is whiney and noisy when accelerating and all-round it's just a miserable driving experience most of the time. I say most of the time because on the odd occasion it's lovely. Responsive, can feel torque, nice smooth gear changes etc. Then I'll park up and when driving it a few hours later it's like I'm in a transit van? What is happening? Can anyone help?
I would say something isn’t right there, I have the 190 tdi and I can honestly say it’s really quiet, and when I say it goes it goes! I use to have a a4 170 tdi and I can honestly say the Tiguan out performs it in every way. I have driven the 150 tdi Tiguan on an extended test drive and to be honest I was a bit disappointed with the performance hence going for the 190, maybe a trip to the dealers might be called for
On order: R Line tech 190bhp 4motion, with Dynaudio & headlamp washers ;)

Picked up 30-5-19 and love it!!

TMc1908

Post by TMc1908 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:31 pm

Stevie C wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:06 pm
TMc1908 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:04 pm
I would say something isn’t right there, I have the 190 tdi and I can honestly say it’s really quiet, and when I say it goes it goes! I use to have a a4 170 tdi and I can honestly say the Tiguan out performs it in every way. I have driven the 150 tdi Tiguan on an extended test drive and to be honest I was a bit disappointed with the performance hence going for the 190, maybe a trip to the dealers might be called for
Ye will have to book it in...I'm driving 400 miles a week, on motorway and the noise and rubbish drive is just starting to really p!ss me off! Thanks Stevie

F2paul

Post by F2paul » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:32 pm

Glad you got this sorted. I noticed your post about the car stick. Mine is in a USB adapter in the boot socket. Out of sight and no connectivity problems.
2.0.BTDi TDi tuning , DSG , SEL 4 motion Indium Grey. Collected 31.1.18

xtrailman

Post by xtrailman » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:26 pm

I have a 190ps diesel and found the power delivery and gear selection during the first 1k miles or more poor, not a flat spot so much as being in too high a gear, also found a strange engine noise on low revs compared to the cx5 I had, don't notice it now though at over 2k revs.
2019 SEL 190ps diesel.

scrounger

Post by scrounger » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:28 pm

I’ve got the 190 and tbh it’s bedded in quite nicely. Lacked a little power for the first couple of thousand miles but now it runs like a dream. Lots of torque and will happily climb a steep hill full of kids and kit with no dramas. Great motorway cruiser as well.

Safe to say I’m glad I didn’t go for the 150.
Tiguan R-Line Tech 190 DSG 4Motion in White

xtrailman

Post by xtrailman » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:03 pm

xtrailman wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:26 pm
I have a 190ps diesel and found the power delivery and gear selection during the first 1k miles or more poor, not a flat spot so much as being in too high a gear, also found a strange engine noise on low revs compared to the cx5 I had, don't notice it now though at over 2k miles.
2019 SEL 190ps diesel.

Return to “Faults & Technical”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.