Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Water in tailgate

11K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Tiguan326 
#1 ·
Went to open tailgate the other day, noticed sound of water sloshing around. Pulled out small grommet at bottom and water flooded out, thought it shouldnt have been there. Appreciate anyones advice /experience.
Car is 2019.

#2 ·
Are you getting water out of the rear washer jet when you use it? Not uncommon for washer tubes to come lose and fill up the boot lid with water.

#5 ·
ivortheengine151 said:
Rear washer jet working 100%.

Behind the lock there are three small grommets, each about 4 mm diameter. My wife's golf has one centrally.
On Sunday night car was parked on a slope during torrential rain. Cant think how it would access exept round the lights.
Perhaps some way under the rear window glass could be another access point or under rear spoiler if you have one fitted.

Just looked and mine has all three rubber grommets.

#6 ·
The seal around the light clusters, the joint between the rear screen and the tailgate, or the rear wiper shaft seal. These are all possible areas for water ingress. Best investigated by a dealer as it's under warranty.

#9 ·
pinman said:
Ironically I have exactly the same problem with my 19 plate VW Tiguan.

At the moment I am waiting on the dealer to confirm a date for it to go in for water testing!!

Did you get a satisfactory outcome in the end ivortheengine151?
The member opening this thread has not been around for a month so maybe send them a PM to ask.

#11 ·
Just wanted to give an update on this just in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

After several days with the dealer and numerous water tests, it turns out that there was a hairline gap between the rear window glass and boot lid.

They replaced and re-sealed the rear glass and thus far the problem appears to have been resolved.