Water marks on ceiling

Faults and Technical chat for the new Volkswagen Tiguan
as03.uk

Re: Water marks on ceiling

Post by as03.uk » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:06 pm

Having thought about this all night, I decided to take a look and discovered the headliner is held in place at three points by VW metal trim clips. These slide back on a rail and disconnect quite readily to release the board. (This is different to the numerous Mk1 videos show a separate plastic trim board).

Now a brief update on the original post: I booked the car into VW to have the front left pillar stain investigated and they drench tested it for a few days before finally discovering a very elusive leak located on the drainage tube itself. (A split perhaps) This took a long time to find, so I assume it was caught at an early stage. While this test was carried out, the headliner board was totally removed adding a lot of time and cost to it. A new expensive tube was ordered and installed, and everything reassembled.

However having had the car back, I have since noticed another water stain on the rear driver side pillar! :cry: As I have only had this pre-owned car for a year, I didn't mind paying VW to repair the tube. I also had some other minor routine things done, and the bill came to 4 figures. Now having seen another stain, I will of course call them, but dread to have another issue associated with the infamous sunroof.

Having now been able to see the rear tubes for myself, they look in quite good shape! I can even see the plugs are zip tied onto the roof bracket, which differs from the other posts and videos. Perhaps this was added at the garage. However returning to the issue, I cannot see any deformation or issue with the tube. The new stain is located at the start of the rear driver side pillar, which could mean any leak would deposit water and run down the curved board to this point. Looking under the headliner at the tube, the green driver side tube looks to have no staining around it or residue. Having addressed the first stain, VW checked the tubes for blockages.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the cause?

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 13.04.53.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 13.04.59.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 13.05.03.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 13.05.07.png

hteepee

Post by hteepee » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:03 am

20200709_174607.jpg

To answer your question wrt "whether I have cleared the blocked drain tubes with wire and hot water flush"... I am reasonably confident that the drain tubes are now coping with water flow. Since doing the work we have had some serious prolonged periods of rain and I have not seen any further water ingress.
I propose to repeat the 'cleaning' routine at least a couple of times a year from now on.

The ends of the front drain tubes are in the plenum area, l found nsr by 'feel' behind rear wheel arch, but not the osr (think it might be the Adblue tank preventing access). At the end of the tube there is an elongation on one side which the rubber flaps are located on. They just pull off. Certainly mine had lots of silt and silver birch seeds behind them! The US Tiguan site suggested removing the flaps, describing them as only there to stop spiders climbing up the tube or possible water ingres.
My theory was/is that while the roof is open silt and seeds could get in the sunroof channels then water draining off the closed sunroof wash the debris into the tubes. It had taken 2.5 years to result in blocked tubes, hence my belief of open sunroof possibly resulting in blockages. Attached shows yellow wire emerging from drain tube in driver's side plenum box. Best I could manage for view.

Sorry I've only just responded, but after my previous reply the topic 'black holed' (for me); the mystery of the forum??

HTH.
R-Line 190 4Motion DSG White. Swivel Towbar Running Boards.

hteepee

Post by hteepee » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:12 am

Now found a clearer picture of nearside plenum with yellow wire inside blue tube exiting the drain tube..

20200709_165706.jpg

R-Line 190 4Motion DSG White. Swivel Towbar Running Boards.

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:52 am

I have no positive answer but the water is only drained by gravity and any small amount of debris could stop that happening. If the roof gutters that deliver the water have any debris at all in them when it begins to rain then it is a reasonable assumption that the debris could block the tube entry. If the car was parked in such a way while it was raining that caused the water to be drained by one tube that tube might not have had enough capacity to drain the water. I would want to push some low pressure compressed air through the tube(s) to see if there is any debris in them and even then that might not be the total answer which is of course to remove the tube and either replace it or confirm it is completely clear. No matter what, if it rains and there is debris in the gutters then the tubes will lose their full flow capacity and to have the gutters clean at all times seems a bit of wishful thinking. Again without seeing one it sounds like the gutters might not be deep enough and the tubes aren't big enough to do the job seeing how many complaints there has been. Take all the above for what it is worth and that is purely conjecture and guesswork on my part.
White 162kw/217.246hp, DSG

as03.uk

Post by as03.uk » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:46 am

Thanks so much for your replies, especially the plenum wire photos (I had always wondered where they emerged from).

An update from my visit this morning to VW - the "new" stain was actually pre-existing, and the area/ tubes showed no sign of fault during the long drench test. Therefore it is assumed it occurred during the time of a previous fix/ owner. I suppose if I was lazy and left the water stain from the recent front passenger side repair, it would cause a similar concern for the next owner.

I even asked about the tube seals, and the mechanic said he already removed them! I guess thats the advantage of having an expert who has worked on a fair few of them (and paying for it). He even properly concealed by front and rear dash cam wires when reinstalling the headboard and A pillar!

On a side note, there was apparently some staining on the retractable sun shade which can be caused by debris sitting inside the seal/ frame itself. If the car is parked on an incline, the debris can prevent the water from draining towards the appropriate tube and cause ingress. This is why they offer the clean and lubricate service for £70 ish every 2 years, that some other forum users have mentioned. I have seen the lubricant online and wonder about attempting this myself in the future.

For now I will watch out for parking under trees and make an effort to strimmer wire the tubes as many of you have mentioned.

as03.uk

Post by as03.uk » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:52 am

Incase these prove a useful reference for others, here are 2 screenshots from my major service video which shows the rear drainage ends and the position behind the rear wheel.

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 10.48.08.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 10.47.32.png

JK-VWTiguanR

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:25 am

I am still amazed that these issue are happening, sunroofs have been around for decades and surely should be so well designed that these issues never happen, i could expect an old car back in the eighties or before having this issue but in 2020, come on VW you really need to be ahead of the curve not chasing it.
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.

Chris

Post by Chris » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:48 am

I wouldn't put a sunroof in a car if they gave me money to do it.
White 162kw/217.246hp, DSG