Tig slow to start up.Starter turns twice.

Faults and Technical chat for the new Volkswagen Tiguan
dave56

Tig slow to start up.Starter turns twice.

Post by dave56 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:00 pm

Hi there. On a few occasions- first thing in the morning- when I turn the key to start up, the starter motor seems to operate twice before the engine fires

When the engine is warm and I have gone a few miles -stopped and then restarted everything sounds normal. It was very cold last night and I had not used

the car for over a week. Same happened. The car has hardly been used for 9 months-covid!- but I have charged the battery a few times. Has anyone else

experienced this or knows why this happens? Many thanks David.

Essjay

Re: Tig slow to start up.Starter turns twice.

Post by Essjay » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Hi Dave, I don’t have a diesel, but I seem to remember that quite a few people have mentioned in the past that when you start a diesel from cold it’s best to operate the ignition and leave the injector heaters to warm up for a few seconds before operating the starter.

I’m sure some diesel owners will be along soon to elaborate, and correct me if I’m wrong.

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

Tubemonster

Post by Tubemonster » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:39 pm

With my keyless start, after pressing the start button, it automatically waits for the glow plug light to extinguish before firing up. I'm not sure if that automation is available with a key start and always used to be the case that you would turn the ignition on 1 click---wait for the glow plug light to go out--- then turn the key fully to start the car. This procedure is not needed with a warm engine only from cold, especially at this time of year.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TDI 4Motion 190PS 7 Speed DSG -Factory Tow bar-Keyless-Electric Boot- 360 Area View.

Wildcat

Post by Wildcat » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:15 pm

I have a diesel with a key start and I can confirm the diesel engine won't fire up until the heater/glow plugs have warmed up (light goes out) so it can't/shouldn't be because of that. I suspect it might be the battery is draining for lack of use and cold weather. I leave my battery connected to the car and charger and is now constantly on trickle charge throughout winter.
2.0 TDi SWB 150ps 4Motion SEL 6sp man in Atlantic Blue with swivelling towbar MY2019

dave56

Post by dave56 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:24 am

Hi there again. Many thanks for the replies and advice. You are quite right.It's me being impatient and not waiting for the glow plug light to go out before turning the key to start. Tried it the right way this morning and it's fine. Will give the battery a charge anyway. Regards and keep safe. Dave.

veedubnewby

Post by veedubnewby » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:44 am

Hello all,
As you will see from my ID feel free to respond as to a dost old suffer!

I also had a similar experience. When I was leaving my garage I looked back and saw that the plug-in dash cam I had on the back window was still on. I surmised then that the battery was low because the camera was draining th we battery.
With my previous motor, a Citroen C4 Picasso, the camera switched off with the ignition
Does this mean that the accessory sockets on the Tig are permanently live? It's a pain to keep going to the boot to unplug.
Any info gratefully received.

Stay safe.

veedubnewby

Post by veedubnewby » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:46 am

're my previous post. Don't trust predictive text. Dost old suffer should read DOZY OLD DUFFER.

mrew42

Post by mrew42 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:09 am

The Accessory sockets (12v - USB etc) do stay 'live' for a while after you turn off, but they shouldn't be permanently on.
I used to have a 3g dongle in the boot permanently and it would start up when I started the car.
i.e. don't worry - if it's still live when you go to start the car, then you've got an issue :)
2020 R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG in Pure White - Carista tweaks, Bumper Protector, Heko Wind Deflectors. Carshades, DTE pedal box

Tubemonster

Post by Tubemonster » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:23 pm

The 12v sockets turn off with the ignition from the factory however, you can have them “live” all the time by moving their respective fuse down (or over, can’t remember) one slot. If you bought your car 2nd hand, the previous owner, like myself, may have done this.

Did a search and fuse F40 gets moved up a slot to make your 12v sockets live permanently.

A4032E48-FCEC-4797-9F96-885B14D61416.jpeg

2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TDI 4Motion 190PS 7 Speed DSG -Factory Tow bar-Keyless-Electric Boot- 360 Area View.

veedubnewby

Post by veedubnewby » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:08 pm

Thanks folks. Tubemaster looks to have a reasonable suggestion. Will give it a go when I make time to break out from lockdown.
Old age, low temps and unheated garage mitigate against anything sooner. Will post when solution attempted.
Thanks again