Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Dashcam - Which fuse? Help

26K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  toxic 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Today I finally got around to installing my dash cam following the excellent instructions from Lordjik on this thread https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=497&hilit=dash+cam&start=40

Everything is installed and working fine except it doesn't power down when the car is turned off and locked!

I tried powering from Fuse F10 to start with but the dash cam just stayed powered when I locked to car. I've tried various other fuses with the same effect and I am now wondering what I am doing wrong, most of the fuses I would expect to power down when the ignition is off and the car locked :roll:

Does any one have any ideas please?

Thanks,

Andy

#2 ·
I hard wired a dash cam in my previous car: a Skoda Yeti. I connected the cam to the fuse for the rear wipers and that worked fine. If you can identify the fuse, it should work for the Tiguan. I have yet to fit a dash cam in mine but intend to buy one soon. Good luck.

#3 ·
I hard wired mine into the Tiguan and it was fuse F40 I piggy backed, in the fuse box behind the glove box. You'll know if you look in the manual as it's the one that powers the cigarette/12v socket. Comes on and off with the ignition

G
#4 ·
If you look at the attached drawing of the fuse panel, which is behind the glove box, fuse F40 is the one that supplies the cigarette lighter sockets.

With F40 shown in the drawing position, it only supplies power when the ignition is on. If you pull it out and move it up one slot so that it is in line with fuses 38, 39, 41 and 42, it is live at all times.

Fit a piggy back fuse to F40 and ensure its in the lower position (as on drawing) if you require the dash cam to power down when you switch the ignition off.

Attachments

#6 ·
Thanks all, connected to F40 and all now works as it should:)

G
#7 ·
Would one of you electrical experts please help me before I loose the will to live, as I cannot understand what I'm doing wrong.

The background first. I've made fuse F40 (cigarette lighter) supply power all the time by moving it up one slot in the fuse box. This supply powers my rear dash cam as I want the power on to it all the time to enable the parking mode.

So far so good, every thing working OK.

I now wanted to provide a supply to the front dash cam which only supplies power when the ignition is on. The logical supply fuse (to me) is fuse F47 which is the supply to the rear wiper. Used a piggy back fuse onto this supply point and wired up the front dash cam.

Everything appeared to be working OK. Job done, thought I'd finished.

However....................., when driving along and then coming to a stop, the start/stop system stops the engine, BUT the front dash cam then powers down. It does not start up again until the start/stop starts the engine again.

I thought I had used the wrong fuse, but it was the right one and when removed the rear wiper doesn't work.

Now here is the thing that's driving me mad, when the dash cam powers down from the start/stop, the rear wiper still works. How the hell does that happen? If it's got supply on to the rear wiper, why does the dash cam shut down, what has it got to do with the start/stop system?

I know that one solution is to switch off the start/stop system each time, but (unlike a lot on here) I actually quite like the start/stop system, it makes for a very relaxing drive.

Please can someone help, as what's going on appears completely illogical to me.

#8 ·
rtigtony said:
Would one of you electrical experts please help me before I loose the will to live, as I cannot understand what I'm doing wrong.

The background first. I've made fuse F40 (cigarette lighter) supply power all the time by moving it up one slot in the fuse box. This supply powers my rear dash cam as I want the power on to it all the time to enable the parking mode.

I now wanted to provide a supply to the front dash cam which only supplies power when the ignition is on. The logical supply fuse (to me) is fuse F47 which is the supply to the rear wiper. Used a piggy back fuse onto this supply point and wired up the front dash cam.

However....................., when driving along and then coming to a stop, the start/stop system stops the engine, BUT the front dash cam then powers down. It does not start up again until the start/stop starts the engine again.

I thought I had used the wrong fuse, but it was the right one and when removed the rear wiper doesn't work.

Now here is the thing that's driving me mad, when the dash cam powers down from the start/stop, the rear wiper still works. How the hell does that happen? If it's got supply on to the rear wiper, why does the dash cam shut down, what has it got to do with the start/stop system?

I know that one solution is to switch off the start/stop system each time, but (unlike a lot on here) I actually quite like the start/stop system, it makes for a very relaxing drive.

What your saying doesn't make any sense. If the wiper is moving during the stop/start it's got power. Are you sure it's not a setting on your dash cam I.e the dam cam works when the engine is running? I would swap the power supplies to both cameras and check if the back camera does the same thing. This will prove if it's a camera setting or a power issue. It does sound like a power issue but how is the back wiper still working?

Where have you grounded the cables?

G
#9 ·
Ed1,
I agree that what I'm saying doesn't make any sense, hence the plea for help.

There is no setting on the dash cam regarding only working when the engine is running. How would it know if the engine was running or not anyway?

I will try swapping over the cameras to see if I get the same situation, but I suspect that I will.

I have earthed the power supply to a bolted connector adjacent to the fuse box and it is a good earth. Without an earth it wouldn't work at all so I don't think that is the problem.

As I said previously, this just doesn't make any sense but I just can't see how the start/stop system can stop the dash cam working when the rear wiper continues to work and is on the same circuit.

#10 ·
rtigtony said:
Ed1,
I agree that what I'm saying doesn't make any sense, hence the plea for help.

There is no setting on the dash cam regarding only working when the engine is running. How would it know if the engine was running or not anyway?

I will try swapping over the cameras to see if I get the same situation, but I suspect that I will.

I have earthed the power supply to a bolted connector adjacent to the fuse box and it is a good earth. Without an earth it wouldn't work at all so I don't think that is the problem.

As I said previously, this just doesn't make any sense but I just can't see how the start/stop system can stop the dash cam working when the rear wiper continues to work and is on the same circuit.
Also check and recheck all your electrical connections to the dash cam. It might be possible you have a poor connection and you are getting a slight volt drop when the engine stops causing you dash cam to shut down.

#13 ·
rtigtony said:

I am a little late to the party, but... I have the same issue.
Tried 4 always on fuses, o the top row F4 to F10.
All OK in parking mode, but when driving, the camera turns off / on... reboots, It's driving me insane and I think I will soon lose my minds.
Tried also one OBD-II USB power supply, this is even worse.
I have done the hard wiring to take advantage of the Viofo A129 parking mode, but if things will continue like this, I'll reuse the cigarette lighter power supply. Exposing all those ugly cables.

LE: It's about Tiguan Allspace, not that this really matters.

#14 ·
I've got my Nextbase connected to a switched fuse (power with ignition on) The dashcams internal battery gets charged when I'm driving and has enough power to last when off for parking mode. Faultless, no reboots or anything like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.