2.0TDI 190 Engine Noise

Faults and Technical chat for the new Volkswagen Tiguan
red2p

2.0TDI 190 Engine Noise

Post by red2p » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:11 am

I got my TDI 190PS just over a week ago, and as I drove it off the forecourt I noticed an unusual noise from the engine - mentioned it to the sales guy who was with me and he put it down to being a brand new diesel engine. I've put a few hundred miles on it since and I'm still not happy with the noise - I'd describe it as sort of "blowing" (I don't think it's actually a blowing exhaust though - would be louder) sort of a higher-frequency slightly rattly engine note on top of the normal diesel engine (rubbish description I know). It is only there when the engine is under load - rev'ing it while in Neutral I can't hear it and the note rises and falls with engine revs, really noticeable when doing a steady 40-ish and gently accelerating around 1500rpm.

I had a 2.0 TDI 180PS A4 from new before this and never had anything like this noise.

Took it back to the dealer and went out with one of their tech guys who thought it might be injectors making the noise. As it was one of the first 190's on the road they didn't have another we could drive back-to-back to compare. We took out a TDI 150 which didn't make the same noise.

One of the things I noticed on the original test drive (in a 150PS) was how quiet the engine was - and a lot of the reviews also mention that.

So.. I guess I'm asking if anyone else has had a 190PS just delivered, how does the engine sound on yours? Anything unusual or was the salesman right and I just need to give it a few miles?

Apart from this noise I'm loving the car - the interior lighting at night is great and I'm finding my way around the tech toys. I've added a carstick for the car-net stuff (mainly the enhanced travel bits which are great) but would have liked that to be in a 2nd USB port hidden away somewhere.
Mk2 Tiguan 2.0TDI 190 SEL 4Motion Ruby Red with 20", DCC, TPMS, Keyless Entry, Electric tailgate

Terrier1964

Re: 2.0TDI 190 Engine Noise

Post by Terrier1964 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:16 pm

If this is whistling - it could be the turbo - I had this on my audi....and they found a split hose somewhere in the engine....this was replaced and the noise went away.

salmonfisher

Post by salmonfisher » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:15 pm

I don't get anything like this with my 190 TDI. It is a bit rattly when cold but disappears after a few miles. Then quieter than my A4 Allroad was.

red2p

Post by red2p » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:31 pm

Thanks for the replies - car back at the dealers tomorrow for them to do further investigation.
Mk2 Tiguan 2.0TDI 190 SEL 4Motion Ruby Red with 20", DCC, TPMS, Keyless Entry, Electric tailgate

Tigsel190

Post by Tigsel190 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:24 pm

Hi Just picked my Tiguan SEL 190 dsg up last friday.
I havent noticed any strange noises yet.
Did you get yours sorted OK.
Tiguan SEL 190 DSG 4Motion, Atlantic Blue, Vienna Leather, Electric Tail Gate, Parking Pack. :D

red2p

Post by red2p » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:16 pm

The car has been back to the dealers several times since the last time I posted - still got the issue (so far had a replacement turbo, injectors and ECU update). Since I got the car in October it's spent almost half its time there !

At the moment the suspicion is the EGR unit (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) - waiting on that being replaced and some more testing.

On the plus side I've had most of the VW range as courtesy cars while its been at the dealers - which has confirmed I'm happy with the Tiguan if only the engine on mine wasn't so noisy :D

Paulw

Post by Paulw » Tue May 23, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi just got back from dealer after checking out my Tiguan 2L tdi DSG 190 4 motion R line for the same issue
The technician agreed it was noisy booked it in for checking but didn't find any fault
They compared it with another car and informed me that had the same fault so still no wiser
White MK2 Tiguan R line 190ps DSG

Tractorboy

Post by Tractorboy » Tue May 23, 2017 2:17 pm

This may sound crazy but I had the same problem on my Ford Transit rattling under load.Our local fuel station had changed from Shell to a so called economy brand.I started filling up at a Esso garage and within 2 weeks the engine was running normally again.Probobly not the same with a new car but you never know.
Hope this may be some help
Regards
Clive
Currently -

2016 Mk 2
190 R Line
Indium Grey
Factory fitted tow bar and nearly every other extra! :lol:

Soon -

VWTiguan Allspace 190 R Line Tech
Platinum Grey
Factory fitted tow bar and nearly every other extra

wiz2003

Post by wiz2003 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:19 am

Interesting thread. I have a Seat Ateca with the same engine. I am mechanically astute having rebuilt some of my engines in the past, so I think I know a good noise and a bad noise. I have, what I consider a bad noise on the idle - hard to describe, but it is a prominent inconsistent tinny type sound - which I do not like... Anybody else experienced an irregular noise on the idle?

red2p

Post by red2p » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:14 pm

11 months on and I've finally got a resolution - the dealer and VWFS agreed to swap the car for a new one a couple of months back and I drove the replacement last week to confirm I'm happy with the noise that one makes (or doesn't :-) ), should be finalising the swap in the next few days.

During the various times mine was with the dealer I had a LOT of courtesy cars, mainly Golfs but a couple of Tiguans too and none of them made anything like the noise mine does. After my drive in the replacement last week mine seemed extra-noisy when I got back in it - amazing what you (sort of) get used to but it still niggled every morning.

Delighted this is finally sorted and it's also allowed my to tweak the spec ever so slightly (at my cost) - I've added the overhead camera view option as I've always found the parking sensors to be pretty "random" - I could drive up to a wall and be within 6 inches with not a squeak, stop and wait a couple of seconds and then it would notice the wall ! Having said that the sensors on the new one seemed to be a lot better when I was parking it back at the dealers.

wiz2003 - with mine the noise was only when the engine was under load - gentle uphill which needed a touch of throttle to keep the speed constant was when it was most noticeable, sounded fine at idle.

TractorBoy - I did wonder about fuel so for a while made sure I filled up at a BP garage with their premium diesel to see if it made a difference (no) - other than that it has had a mixture of various supermarket and big-name brands in it with no difference that I could tell.

It's taken a while but the dealers have been pretty good throughout and I'm really looking forward to the new one.

Return to “Faults & Technical”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.