Broken fuel gauge and unresponsive radio

Faults and Technical chat for the new Volkswagen Tiguan
UnionJack

Broken fuel gauge and unresponsive radio

Post by UnionJack » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:33 pm

Not good. Only had the car around 3 weeks and it had been in at VW yesterday for a couple of niggles (broken rear central vent and wheel balance)

Anyway, set off from the dealers and put the radio on. Wouldn't let me adjust the volume or select a station. The touch screen was registering inputs, just not selecting anything, figured it was a software issue (similar thing happened on my Golf with broadly the same system).

Went to the local filling station, stuck a tenners worth in the tank as it was on 45 miles range for mrs to use. Got back in the radio came on fine, working this time, but *bong* 45 miles range 'would you like me to find you a filling station'... I pulled to one side and asked the guy who rolled up to the pump next if it had worked for him, he'd also filled up with diesel. Yeah, fine. Asked the attendant if the pump was ok. Yes, no complaints.

Went to another nearby station and stuck another tenner's worth in. *bong* 45 miles range.

Went to VW first thing this morning, they've booked it in for tomorrow thankfully. I doubt it's anything that's happened to it there yesterday and it's something that's just cropped up, but it's annoying. It's currently saying 30 miles range. I know there's diesel in there and I guess it's just extrapolating from the last reading it took from the tank, but it's very unsettling to look at.

The reason I mentioned the radio is I'm wondering if these 2 things are linked by a shared computer that's somehow crashed. Unfortunately switching it off and back on again doesn't fix it ;)

Has this happened to anyone else?

CNC

Re: Broken fuel gauge and unresponsive radio

Post by CNC » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:50 pm

Unfortunately that appears to be how the fuel gauge works, if you put too little in at a time it doesn't register you have put anything in. If you search this forum it has been mentioned several times before if I remember correctly. Try putting at least 20 litres in and it should be fine.

Read here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4093&p=42045&hilit ... vel#p42045

and here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5277&p=55572&hilit= ... tor#p55572

As far as the radio goes try a soft reset. Hold the on/off button in until the system does a reboot and try it again, hopefully this may fix your problem.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

UnionJack

Post by UnionJack » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:31 pm

In total though, stuck 20 quids worth in there, you'd have thought it would have moved at that needle, it does on my Golf and, CC that I owned prior. I'll see what VW come back with tomorrow, didn't want to put any more in incase VW drain the tank when they're diagnosing it.

UnionJack

Post by UnionJack » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:32 pm

Thanks for the radio soft reset tip, I shall go and do that now!

UnionJack

Post by UnionJack » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:59 pm

Well, you were right! VW took the rear seats out, opened the tank and had a look, sent me a video of the underside of the car, no leaks. They put in £20 of fuel and suddenly the needle jumped to half and the range was 305 miles, ie what I'd put in, plus the 20 quid (I didn't get it for free ;) )

It's not something that my dealership has encountered before, but seems as if below about 30 quids worth of fuel, the sensor doesn't read it. I'd clearly filled a bit up but below the point where it can sense and it's just extrapolating/guessing what's left since the last time it took a reading by using your current mpg.

I wonder if it's due to the shape of the tank which is kinda like a saddlebag shape. It overhangs on either side of the prop shaft and exhaust looking at the video. Sounds like the sensor is in the middle and can't take into account what's either side below it.

Problem/Panic solved. Don't expect reading unless you have about 30 quids worth in the tank. Just surprised they'd not encountered this before.

UnionJack

Post by UnionJack » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:01 pm

Good, friendly forum this btw! I do like a nice VW car forum :) Used to be all over UKMKIVs when I had my MKIV Golf!

mrew42

Post by mrew42 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:09 am

It is good in here innit.
I pop in here at least once a day to see if there are any interesting nuggets of info.
1.4TSI BMT 150 4Motion SE NAV DSG - Indium Grey
2 Year lease through Hub Leasing - Ordered 13/02/18 - Delivered 09/03/18

UnionJack

Post by UnionJack » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:21 pm

Yep, this one is great :)

It's the first time I've been on a car forum in years! UKMKIVs when I had my Mk4 Golf GTI, then Mini2.com. Both great places, and then I let it slip. Anyway I thought I need some car forum banter when we bought this Tiguan, oh look there's a UK based forum. Nice.

Can spend hours in these places....

Return to “Faults & Technical”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.