How to hardwire a dashcam

Post by Hillbilly » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:49 am

This is how I do mine and have done for several years in VW's and other makes

Here is the Tiguan fuse box

Tiguan fuse box.jpg

Buy two of these

addafuse correct.jpg

MINI size

Put one in a spare slot in the top row for permanent power and One in the bottom row for switched power if you want it to only go on with ign

If need parking you use both

Then get one of these

cigarette-lighter-inline-socketImageMain-300.jpg

and hook the original plug into it. Then you can remove gear later and its all there

Also if the camera is a 5V one the stepdown is in the ciggy plug so dont cut it off

Work out where you going to put camera and work back down to fuse box from there and then you can tuck extra cable in the dash

This is a good tutorial https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufac ... m-install/

If you want parking and use a PMP just follow the tutorial

Russboy

Re: How to hardwire a dashcam

Post by Russboy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:32 pm

This is what I have for my Blackvue front and rear cameras but i'd be interested to know what the fuses i am piggy backing off of control in the car, not sure those in the green boxes above are called out in the manual?

Reason I want to know is with the hardwire kit for my camera my stop start doesn't seem to work, even though I have set the camera to shut off once down to 12v. Can take the car on a decent 45 mile journey and still it won't switch off when i'm at a red traffic light.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 petrol 230ps

Hillbilly

Post by Hillbilly » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:17 pm

Russboy wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:32 pm
This is what I have for my Blackvue front and rear cameras but i'd be interested to know what the fuses i am piggy backing off of control in the car, not sure those in the green boxes above are called out in the manual?

Reason I want to know is with the hardwire kit for my camera my stop start doesn't seem to work, even though I have set the camera to shut off once down to 12v. Can take the car on a decent 45 mile journey and still it won't switch off when i'm at a red traffic light.
Well in my manual there is a picture of the fusebox showing how they are numbered and a list beside it with what they are and in fact I used a spare slot in the top row as they have power to the TOP side which is all you need Looking at the bottom lot there are ones like lighting and inconsequential things that you can put a addafuse into. Using one correctly shouldnt make any difference to the circuit you plug into as the power just splits between the two.

Make sure you have it in the way shown in my pic so that the power doesnt go through both fuses to get to the camera.

Do you mean the CAR wont switch off or the CAMERA wont switch off at a red light.

I had mine in a Passat with stop start and it worked perfectly even with two separate full cameras running off the PMP

Not all fuses are designated as the manual is a generic one for all models and some are different depending on the spec but there are some that are standard right across models like interior lights and similar. DONT use aAIRBAG or ABS fuses

Terminator

Post by Terminator » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:28 pm

Hillbilly wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:49 am

Here is the Tiguan fuse boxTiguan fuse box.jpg

Buy two of theseaddafuse correct.jpg MINI size

Put one in a spare slot in the top row for permanent power and One in the bottom row for switched power if you want it to only go on with ign

If need parking you use both

Then get one of these

cigarette-lighter-inline-socketImageMain-300.jpg and hook the original plug into it. Then you can remove gear later and its all there

Also if the camera is a 5V one the stepdown is in the ciggy plug so dont cut it off

Work out where you going to put camera and work back down to fuse box from there and then you can tuck extra cable in the dash

This is a good tutorial https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufac ... m-install/

Thanks. I am going to instalkl one soon.

One question i have is if i use the 12v switched fuses will the camera turn off/on along with the stop/start..
I would like this to remian on until the engine is physically switched off not everytime t shts down because of coming to a stop at lights.

Hillbilly

Post by Hillbilly » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:47 pm

Terminator wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:28 pm
Hillbilly wrote:

SNIP

One question i have is if i use the 12v switched fuses will the camera turn off/on along with the stop/start..
I would like this to remian on until the engine is physically switched off not everytime t shts down because of coming to a stop at lights.

What is this obsession with stop start nothing else turns off when engine stops does it except what is programmed to do so in certain situations

If you install it as i and autoinstruct show you nothing will happen as I said in my previous post. Jumper it off fuse like I said and it wont affect anything.

If you cant work it out I suggest you get an expert to fit it for perhaps 75 pounds or whatever currency you have

Read my prev reply about fuses and what to do

Terminator

Post by Terminator » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:00 pm

Hillbilly wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:47 pm
Terminator wrote:
Hillbilly wrote:

SNIP

What is this obsession with stop start nothing else turns off when engine stops does it except what is programmed to do so in certain situations

If you install it as i and autoinstruct show you nothing will happen as I said in my previous post. Jumper it off fuse like I said and it wont affect anything.

If you cant work it out I suggest you get an expert to fit it for perhaps 75 pounds or whatever currency you have

I have installed it before using this same method but never on a vehicle with stop/start, not usre if there was a certain fuse you had to avoid as it woould turn off/on with the stop/start feature.

Thanks

Hillbilly

Post by Hillbilly » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:26 am

Terminator wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:00 pm
Hillbilly wrote:
Terminator wrote:

I have installed it before using this same method but never on a vehicle with stop/start, not usre if there was a certain fuse you had to avoid as it woould turn off/on with the stop/start feature.

Thanks
Doesnt your manual have a list of the fuses Mine does ANY ONE in the top row thats spare is good to use as always has power and nothing connected to it.

I have F13 spare which is the second from the right in top row Use that for perm power

F48 between the blue one and the ciggy lighter one is where I took ACC power for it to be on with ign Both are full size fuses so buy the correct addafuse You can see which spares have power as they have the little metal clip in one side and is visible

I actually use these but cant buy them any more in AUS but you may be able to in UK at an electronics hobby store

full size 10amp.jpg

Russboy

Post by Russboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:48 am

Hillbilly wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:17 pm
Russboy wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:32 pm

Well in my manual there is a picture of the fusebox showing how they are numbered and a list beside it with what they are and in fact I used a spare slot in the top row as they have power to the TOP side which is all you need Looking at the bottom lot there are ones like lighting and inconsequential things that you can put a addafuse into. Using one correctly shouldnt make any difference to the circuit you plug into as the power just splits between the two.

Make sure you have it in the way shown in my pic so that the power doesnt go through both fuses to get to the camera.

Do you mean the CAR wont switch off or the CAMERA wont switch off at a red light.

I had mine in a Passat with stop start and it worked perfectly even with two separate full cameras running off the PMP

Not all fuses are designated as the manual is a generic one for all models and some are different depending on the spec but there are some that are standard right across models like interior lights and similar. DONT use aAIRBAG or ABS fuses
I'll check which way round I had the fuses and reinstall this weekend.

I'll also look through the manual again but fairly sure there was nothing specific on these fuses but as you say they can be different for different models so maybe that's why.

I piggy backed off of the same fuses as per here: https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufac ... m-install/

I mean't the car wouldn't switch off at a red light, wouldn't expect or want the camera to switch off. With the settings I have on the car it should only switch off when the battery drops to 12v or less.

Russboy

Post by Russboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:54 am

Hillbilly wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:26 am
Terminator wrote:
Hillbilly wrote:

Thanks
Doesnt your manual have a list of the fuses Mine does ANY ONE in the top row thats spare is good to use as always has power and nothing connected to it.

I have F13 spare which is the second from the right in top row Use that for perm power

F48 between the blue one and the ciggy lighter one is where I took ACC power for it to be on with ign Both are full size fuses so buy the correct addafuse You can see which spares have power as they have the little metal clip in one side and is visible

I actually use these but cant buy them any more in AUS but you may be able to in UK at an electronics hobby store

full size 10amp.jpg
No spares on my top row

Hillbilly

Post by Hillbilly » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:04 am

Russboy wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:54 am
Hillbilly wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:26 am
Terminator wrote:

Thanks

full size 10amp.jpg
No spares on my top row

DID YOU PUT ORIGINAL FUSE IN ADDAFUSE as well as the new one and have you looked in the manual. I could type all night but not going to if you dont answer questions

Return to “Faults & Technical”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.