Water ingress leak in rear roof lining into boot

Faults and Technical chat for the new Volkswagen Tiguan
KGG

Water ingress leak in rear roof lining into boot

Post by KGG » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:42 pm

Hi All,
We had a really heavy downpour today and when I opened the boot there was quite a lot of water in my boot tray coming down the rear drivers side pillar and when I checked inside the car the rear drivers side roof lining was very wet, see pictures. I've got it booked into VW on the 11th Nov 2019 for investigation to find the leak so I'll report back.
Anyone else had a leak in this area? It looks like it's directly below the rear roof bar mounting.

sketch-1571946069401.png

sketch-1571946002692.png

sketch-1571945897664.png

Sep 2017 Tiguan SEL 2.0 TDI (150PS) 2WD DSG Indium Grey :)

Beancounter27

Re: Water ingress leak in rear roof lining into boot

Post by Beancounter27 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:15 pm

Yes, we had a similar problem after our Tig had been back to the dealer for recall work on the sunroof. I found our back seat was soaking wet after a heavy rainstorm the day after the car came back. The dealer said the recall related to rerouting the wiring at the front so couldn’t have affected the rear of the sunroof. However when I took it back they said they cleared some drainage channels, and it worked.
Indium Grey 180 TSi SEL 4wd DSG, Heated screen, wireless charger, heated steering wheel, 230v boot socket, tow bar, no badges, power tailgate

KGG

Post by KGG » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:32 pm

My car is with the VW dealer now for warranty repair of the roof leak but there's a delay on parts availability so I'll report back ASAP.

scrounger

Post by scrounger » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:58 pm

This is a common fault on Macans. Its the roof bar seals that are either not fitted correctly or have become brittle.

Its all a possibility the sunroof drains are blocked.
Tiguan R-Line Tech 190 DSG 4Motion in White

KGG

Post by KGG » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:59 pm

Well after 10 days at my VW dealer I finally have my Tiguan back after the roof leak.
They had to replace the sunroof frame, front roof glass and the inner roof lining so glad it was under warranty.
It took so long as the first roof liner they ordered was damaged so they had to get one from Germany which took 7 days!

When I went to collect the car today I noticed the front and sides of the roof lining hadn't been fully clipped into place and one of the rear upper pillars was scratched and also the opposite lower rear boot liner was also marked, at least they replaced them both today and fitted the roof liner correctly then delivered my car this afternoon. All is good now but no further guarantee on warranty repairs according to my dealer - is that right?

KGG

Post by KGG » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:41 pm

Just found the answer to warranty repairs on https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/war ... -car-terms ...

'Any part which is replaced becomes the property of Volkswagen. Any replaced parts are covered for the unexpired period of the vehicle warranty.'

nickymartin

Post by nickymartin » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:53 pm

Glad to hear you got sorted. I would think they would have to stand over the work they carried out, otherwise they could just say they fixed it, then wash their hands if anything further happens.

It’s a fairly basic requirement that a car shouldn’t leak when it rains, especially with one with so much electronic equipment, which is sensitive to water damage.

Unfortunately mine is still leaking (front drivers side, water coming down above the boot release lever). It hadn’t leaked since it was supposedly fixed in June. It’s going in next week and this will be the 5th time I’ll be going back to try and get it sorted.

I love my Tiguan, but this one has been no where near a reliable as my last 2. It would certainly make me think twice about buying another one.
2017 Volkswagen Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TDI 150 4Motion DSG - Keyless Entry - Westfalia Detachable Tow Bar - Indium Grey

Return to “Faults & Technical”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.