Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Volkswagen Parts Details

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  tiguanrline 
#1 ·
Hi,

Is there a way to find out the serial number of the original part which was fitted to the vehicle at manufacturing stage?

This is the scenario. A customer takes the car in for repairs, and the repairer claims he replaced a faulty part. How can the customer determine whether the part was truly replaced, if the former doesn't have a record of the serial number of the part which was replaced. In this scenario the repairer claims he has the old part but he doesn't want to provide the customer with the serial number of the old part either. Sounds odd.

Thanks,

Tiguan R-Line

#2 ·
From my time as a parts guy spare parts as a general rule do not have any individual serial numbers but some assemblies such as a transmission might have. Certainly some parts have to be coded to the car via the workshop computer system for them to work. All parts of course have ID numbers for stocking purposes, windscreens for the Tiguan would have a number and each variation of windscreen would have a different number.

#3 ·
The parts list would be massive, every small item that it takes to build the car.

I would suggest if you do not trust the repair center, try a different one you can trust.

Any decent repair center should if you ask show you the part that was replaced if you ask them but there is still no guarantee its yours.

What are you really trying to ask as i feel this question has a some what meaning to it?

#4 ·
Hi JK, Chris,

Thank you for your feedback.

My question stems from the fact that I had to take my car in for troubleshooting several times. After almost a year, the repairer suspected a faulty camera control unit. When the appointment was scheduled I discovered that there were some issues with the order of the new part.

Eventually, when I took my car in for the module replacement, the repairer informed me that they had some trouble making the new module work. At the end they said all was fine.

Few days later I found two hole plastic rivets https://www.vehicleclips.co.uk/6mm-hole-plastic-rivets-volkswagen-n90359101/ in the door pocket. Well at the time I thought probably the tech at the repairer had forgotten these in the door pocket, so I kept them there just in case.

The interesting part of it all is that few days ago I was cleaning the upholstery and had to move the driver seat forwards and backwards. There was a loose plastic cover beneath the seat which later transpired to be the cover protecting the camera control unit. Lo and behold, the two plastic rivets which were meant to secure the plastic cover in place weren't there. The cable leading to the module was loose, and I had to do the extra work myself; playing with the rivets which I had found earlier in the door pocket until everything was properly in place. I noticed that some prints (numbers) on the module label was kind of worn out, so my suspicion is that the part was not replaced at all.

So, I'm trying to figure out if there's a way I can be sure that the faulty part (intermittent fault apparently) was replaced with a new one.

#5 ·
Maybe the fault was not with the Camera Modules after all and they found something else and did not feel the need to replace the item.

Have you ask them?

#6 ·
When I asked about the serial number (or batch number) of the part, they replied that the parts all have the same number. They said they found the old part that was changed and that the "serial number" which is printed on the label is the same. Then I asked if I could visit the workshop to see the old part but no reply was forthcoming ;-)

#8 ·
Hi Tricky,

Thank you for your feedback.

Something which I didn't mention here is that I made it clear to them that the number they were saying is the same is the "part number" which for this type of module is 5Q0 907 556. When I asked them for the serial / batch number I was referring to the number encircled in red below. I have also sent them the picture as an example. When I asked if they could simply take a photo of the label on the old part and send it to me (which btw they say is still in their possession) , they were reluctant. They are also reluctant to show me the old part. That's why I'm a bit suspicious.

Rectangle Font Gas Parallel Circle

Attachments

#9 ·
If it was replaced under warranty they will have the old part, if it was a retail sale to you it is long into the bin. My parts years were when computers were first being introduced but I going to make a few deductions on what I see. The bar code is the part no. so stock control is done by scanning to avoid errors. The B at the top indicates the part has been what is called superseded and that has happened twice to this part since they began production. The original production with no suffix, the A version and now the B version. The other numbers could be the numbers Valeo use but whatever they are it is for stock control somewhere in the system, they could be for just the case minus the parts for instance.

When cars are put together these days the parts are generally picked and taken to the production line assembly point for that part by a robot and they do it using the bar code because it is all done by automation on a just in time basis. This avoids having a huge amount of parts at the production line and I guess makes it a cleaner operation. If I had found what you came across I would have taken the vehicle back and possibly during the conversation the truth if it hasn't been told might have come out.

I'm inclined to think that they found an external reason to the module for the problem when they worked on it which is not uncommon. I honestly don't understand the angst, if it is working and continues to work then it is job done and if it did not need a new part the questions become irrelevant. If the part has not been replaced they should have told you but human beings try to cover their backside and then find they can't remember to whom they told what lie. I quickly worked out when I was in the industry that telling the truth was way easier than trying to lie my way out of a problem but others don't take that view.

#10 ·
I guess the question that needs to be answered here is this. 'Did the OP have to pay for the repair''? If it was done under warranty then as Chris above asks, what is the angst, however, if you were charged for the replacement module then it is a reasonable concern that the module was indeed replaced.
If I was the stealer carrying out warranty work on a car and the owner of the car kept asking for details about the original module then I guess they will be a bit pissed at the continual questions about their work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.