VW Assist with DPF Sensor Fail

Faults and Technical chat for the new Volkswagen Tiguan
tmg349
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:16 am
Location: Wiltshire

VW Assist with DPF Sensor Fail

Post by tmg349 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:48 am

I was impressed with VW Assist today......had an Engine Management Fault light come up. Tried to book into local dealer to get the fault checked out only to find they could not book me in until the second week of October. They suggested I call VW Assist, who would be able to diagnose the fault and recover to the dealer if necessary. This would then be treated as an emergency breakdown and get the car looked at as a priority, thus circumventing the long wait to get seen.
As it happens VW Assist arrived at 8am this morning and replaced the DPF Sensor, so no need to head to the dealer. The DPF Sensor failure is a known problem if the sensor is from a certain manufacturer. Not a recall but changed when fails, why this is not done at a service is beyond me, rather than wait for the fault to occur.
1.5 Tsi DSG 150, Elegance, Nightshade Blue, Area View, Harmon Karden Sound, Discover Pro, Wireless Charging, Heated Windscreen and Ergo Active Seats. Ordered 19 Nov 20 Delivered 30 Jan 21. PrevIous 2.0 Tdi DSG 150 SEL

CNC
Posts: 2563
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: VW Assist with DPF Sensor Fail

Post by CNC » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:41 am

Which sensor was it?. I had a G505 pressure sensor replaced roughly a month ago although I did have to wait two weeks once it was diagnosed to get it fitted. This sensor has two ports, one connected to either side of the DPF so it may or may not have been the same as yours. In my case it was done at cost by the dealer as I had exceeded the two year warranty.

I wouldn't say it was a known problem, relatively few people on this forum have had to have one replaced, and they aren't going to replace something that isn't broken and may not fail at all hence not done at service time.

If you had a yellow warning light then no big problem, it's just saying something needs looking at, if you had a red warning light then its best not to drive it too far. I drove mine for about 1500 miles with the yellow warning light on, so no real problem with the wait to get it looked at.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

xtrailman
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Re: VW Assist with DPF Sensor Fail

Post by xtrailman » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:08 pm

Sounds risky to me driving with the sensor faulty that looks at whether the DPF is blocked.
2019 SEL 190ps diesel.

CNC
Posts: 2563
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: VW Assist with DPF Sensor Fail

Post by CNC » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:29 pm

xtrailman wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:08 pm
Sounds risky to me driving with the sensor faulty that looks at whether the DPF is blocked.
Mine was the yellow emission control/engine management light.

If you get a yellow warning lamp it is advisory that something needs attention as soon as you can get it fixed, if you get a red warning lamp don't drive.

This is not the same warning light that says the DPF is becoming blocked, but a more general 'something' needs looking at, it seems this particular light covers a whole host of potential warnings, and you only know exactly what the problem is by plugging in the diagnostics.

In my case it was the G505 pressure sensor which plugs in to the exhaust either side of the DPF but not in to the DPF itself.

Here you can see mine is at tickover with the warning light on:

Image
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

User avatar
teefster
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:30 pm

Re: VW Assist with DPF Sensor Fail

Post by teefster » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:57 pm

tmg349 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:48 am
why this is not done at a service is beyond me, rather than wait for the fault to occur.
The cynic in me says cash strapped VW are happy to let as many of their customers foot the bill for this defective part outside of warranty whatever possible.
2017 (MY ‘18) Tiguan SEL 2.0 TDI
150hp 2Motion Manual in Atlantic Blue
RaceChip GTS (+38hp +89Nm) & DTUK Pedal Box

xtrailman
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Re: VW Assist with DPF Sensor Fail

Post by xtrailman » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:37 pm

CNC wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:29 pm
xtrailman wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:08 pm
Sounds risky to me driving with the sensor faulty that looks at whether the DPF is blocked.
Mine was the yellow emission control/engine management light.

If you get a yellow warning lamp it is advisory that something needs attention as soon as you can get it fixed, if you get a red warning lamp don't drive.

This is not the same warning light that says the DPF is becoming blocked, but a more general 'something' needs looking at, it seems this particular light covers a whole host of potential warnings, and you only know exactly what the problem is by plugging in the diagnostics.

In my case it was the G505 pressure sensor which plugs in to the exhaust either side of the DPF but not in to the DPF itself.

Here you can see mine is at tickover with the warning light on:

Image
A sensor connected across the DPF is there to detect blockage, thats the danger driving with a risk that the filter is above the safe level.
2019 SEL 190ps diesel.

CNC
Posts: 2563
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: VW Assist with DPF Sensor Fail

Post by CNC » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:40 pm

xtrailman wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:37 pm
CNC wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:29 pm
xtrailman wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:08 pm
Sounds risky to me driving with the sensor faulty that looks at whether the DPF is blocked.
Mine was the yellow emission control/engine management light.

If you get a yellow warning lamp it is advisory that something needs attention as soon as you can get it fixed, if you get a red warning lamp don't drive.

This is not the same warning light that says the DPF is becoming blocked, but a more general 'something' needs looking at, it seems this particular light covers a whole host of potential warnings, and you only know exactly what the problem is by plugging in the diagnostics.

In my case it was the G505 pressure sensor which plugs in to the exhaust either side of the DPF but not in to the DPF itself.

Here you can see mine is at tickover with the warning light on:

Image
A sensor connected across the DPF is there to detect blockage, thats the danger driving with a risk that the filter is above the safe level.
Had the DPF warning light below been activated indicating the filter was above the safe level I would have stopped driving it until repair, that wasn't the case.

Image
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

KKOB
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:36 am

Re: VW Assist with DPF Sensor Fail

Post by KKOB » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:39 am

I've just had the same fault diagnosed on mine. How much did it cost you for a replacement sensor ?

CNC
Posts: 2563
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: VW Assist with DPF Sensor Fail

Post by CNC » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:40 am

KKOB wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:39 am
I've just had the same fault diagnosed on mine. How much did it cost you for a replacement sensor ?
£199.97 @ VW dealer
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

tmg349
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:16 am
Location: Wiltshire

Re: VW Assist with DPF Sensor Fail

Post by tmg349 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:01 pm

KKOB - no cost for mine, VW Assist did the job on the driveway
1.5 Tsi DSG 150, Elegance, Nightshade Blue, Area View, Harmon Karden Sound, Discover Pro, Wireless Charging, Heated Windscreen and Ergo Active Seats. Ordered 19 Nov 20 Delivered 30 Jan 21. PrevIous 2.0 Tdi DSG 150 SEL

Post Reply