Lane assist - OBD11 tweak

Faults and Technical chat for the new Volkswagen Tiguan
phope

Lane assist - OBD11 tweak

Post by phope » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:43 pm

Found out today that OBD11 (and possibly other software) does work with facelift Tiguan after all, even though it is not a supported model.

When I first tried it back in December when the car arrived, the software wouldn't make any coding changes. However, I've since found out that a security feature has been activated by VW so that the bonnet must be open when making changes.

I know that sounds weird, but with the first good weather weekend in ages, went and tried it...and it works :D

I was keen to see if any changes could be made to the settings in Driver Assistance...the lane assist in particular seemed lazy and would let the car almost drift onto the centre line, then yank it back in line. The only option in the car was to turn it on or off, but nothing to do with sensitivity of the feature.

My Arteon is much more useful, actually steering the car through the curves much more effectively and keeping the car more accurately in the middle of the lane.

Anyhow...using my OBD11 device, I did the following

Select Module A5 (Driver Assistance) ->
- Select Long Coding ->
- Select Point Of Intervention -> (it was originally shown as late, second option in the menu...makes sense, as the car was 'late' to react to lane divergence)
- Set To early_setting_over_menu.

lane_assist_adaptive.jpg

Closed and locked the car, left for a couple of minutes, then went back into the Driver Assistant settings in the MIB3 headunit

IMG_3680.jpeg

Adaptive Lane Guidance is now a selectable setting in the Driver Assistant menus...a quick test drive shows it now acts much like my Arteon and is much more effective at lane keeping :)
2020 Tiguan 1.5 Elegance DSG
2017 Arteon 2.0 TSI DSG

JK-VWTiguanR

Re: Lane assist - OBD11 tweak

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:03 am

Well done on finding out the issue with the new Tiguan and glad it now works for you and you have sorted your issues.

I am sure the bonnet open will assist other new owners.
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.

mrew42

Post by mrew42 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:14 am

Open the bonnet. lol. Good find OP.
2020 R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG in Pure White - Carista tweaks, Bumper Protector, Heko Wind Deflectors. Carshades, DTE pedal box

niggly58

Post by niggly58 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:01 am

Raising the bonnet was part of the procedure required when coding the aftermarket rear view camera I recently fitted.
It is a security feature VW introduced, presumably to stop coding changes being made when the vehicle is in motion.
2016 VW Tiguan Mk2 2.0L SEL 150 4Motion Manual Diesel. Indium Grey.
Vienna Black leather, electrically adjustable. 4 heated seats. Stainless exhaust trims, K&N 33-3005 air filter. RLine pedal covers. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tyres.

Tammma

Post by Tammma » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:46 am

Are these features ever available stock on a Tig? Ie...do you need to have some sort of comfort/safety option pack before they are turned on by default?

I mean you already have the lane assist in the car, why aren't these menu options available to be configured? I'm a little unsure whats to be gained by having it hidden...

Does anyone know?

phope

Post by phope » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:25 pm

Only VW can answer that properly

Certainly, on the facelift Elegance and R-Line, the Elegance gets the Driver Assistance Pack as standard, whilst the R-Line gets Assistance Pack Plus as standard. Both are entirely optional on the two lower trims.

There is a £50 (yes, fifty!) pounds option price to upgrade the Elegance to the Assistance Pack Plus which suggests the upgrade involves no extra hardware, but is down to software changes and codings.

My car has the Assistance Pack and comes with full parking sensors/parking assistant, blind spot detection/side assist, etc but not the Assistance Pack Plus with all the features

I think what I've done here is activate the full level of Traffic Assist as described in the latest brochure, but NOT the Emergency Assist feature...I believe that is not just a coding flip/change, but also needs additional software/firmware properly installed and calibrated to function (and not something that dealers can offer)

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 12.17.23.png

2017 Arteon 2.0 TSI DSG

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:51 pm

Another change easy to do is auto main beam. Many of the higher models already have the hardware, camera which is there fir lane assist also, and if the dip/main beam switch is momentary: I.e. Returns to middle position when operating dip or main beam (other stalks stay forward for main beam and have to be toggled back towards you for dip).

In this instance a few lines of code and you get an option that on the price list is chargeable.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:23 am

phope, I asked my dealer if the upgrade to Driver Assistance Plus on the Elegance was just a software upgrade and was told no, it has to be done at the factory at time of build.

phope

Post by phope » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:16 am

Yes that’s the case.

All I’ve done is unlock a setting for adaptive lane guidance which was otherwise unavailable on the standard Driver Assistance package
2017 Arteon 2.0 TSI DSG

chillyman50

Post by chillyman50 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:52 pm

phope wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:43 pm
Found out today that OBD11 (and possibly other software) does work with facelift Tiguan after all, even though it is not a supported model.

When I first tried it back in December when the car arrived, the software wouldn't make any coding changes. However, I've since found out that a security feature has been activated by VW so that the bonnet must be open when making changes.

I know that sounds weird, but with the first good weather weekend in ages, went and tried it...and it works :D

I was keen to see if any changes could be made to the settings in Driver Assistance...the lane assist in particular seemed lazy and would let the car almost drift onto the centre line, then yank it back in line. The only option in the car was to turn it on or off, but nothing to do with sensitivity of the feature.

My Arteon is much more useful, actually steering the car through the curves much more effectively and keeping the car more accurately in the middle of the lane.

Anyhow...using my OBD11 device, I did the following

Select Module A5 (Driver Assistance) ->
- Select Long Coding ->
- Select Point Of Intervention -> (it was originally shown as late, second option in the menu...makes sense, as the car was 'late' to react to lane divergence)
- Set To early_setting_over_menu.

lane_assist_adaptive.jpg

Closed and locked the car, left for a couple of minutes, then went back into the Driver Assistant settings in the MIB3 headunit

IMG_3680.jpeg

Adaptive Lane Guidance is now a selectable setting in the Driver Assistant menus...a quick test drive shows it now acts much like my Arteon and is much more effective at lane keeping :)
excellent stuff, i hope it is Carista. cheers :)
===================================================================================
TIGUAN SEL 190PS TDI-4 MOTION, white metallic silver, DCC, Dynaudio, Voice,Leather/electric seats, Camera, Headlight wsh, sidescan, swivel towbar, added immobiliser,others