Can hear water slushing inside tailgate when opening and closing

Faults and Technical chat for the new Volkswagen Tiguan
Marylatte1992

Can hear water slushing inside tailgate when opening and closing

Post by Marylatte1992 » Sat May 01, 2021 5:50 pm

Hi, I’ve booked my car in on Tuesday with VW service regarding hearing water slushing around inside the tailgate when I open and close it. It’s only obvious after very heavy rain!

There’s no evidence of leak inside the boot which is a relief but there’s definitely water getting inside the tailgate door itself. Occasionally It drains itself out through the bottom of the tailgate on opening and through the lock (drenching the top of my head along with it!) but even then I can still hear the water inside, it doesn’t fully drain.

I have the 2021 Tiguan 1.5 r line

Has anyone else had this issue?

JK-VWTiguanR

Re: Can hear water slushing inside tailgate when opening and closing

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Sat May 01, 2021 8:19 pm

That does not sound good, sounds like the rear window seal has failed, not read this issue before so keep us posted please.
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Sat May 01, 2021 8:44 pm

Does your rear window washer work? Could it be that the washer hose has become disconnected, or maybe never connected properly in the first place.
It could be this that’s filling up the tailgate with fluid.

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

Marylatte1992

Post by Marylatte1992 » Sat May 01, 2021 9:22 pm

Rear window washer works fine, but I did read online that it could be a possibility, that and something to do with the tailgate. But everything seems in tact. And no leaks inside the car thankfully.

today I didn’t hear anything when opening and closing because it seems to have drained again! But last night the slushing was very very obvious. I will keep you guys posted, I’ll see what they say on Tuesday. When I’ve done an online search it’s been really common with audis and vw’s and some never find a solution. I’m just glad that I have my warranty!

I’m due to give birth any moment so I’m hoping to get it sorted before then!

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Sat May 01, 2021 10:23 pm

Ok, you say the rear washer works, have you got the rear camera, and if so does the washer jet on this work also? It's a T pipe on the rear washer, every time you wash the rear you give the camera a squirt, could be that pipe dislodged?

Marylatte1992

Post by Marylatte1992 » Sat May 01, 2021 11:41 pm

Yeah it works absolutely fine too. It only happens in heavy rain fall 🤷🏽‍♀️ I guess we’ll find out Tuesday! (Hopefully) I just worry that it gets worse or can cause damage / rusting! But like I said I’m relieved all of this is under warranty!!

niggly58

Post by niggly58 » Sun May 02, 2021 5:40 am

Do you park the car on an incline when this happens?
The drain holes in the hatch are normally at the bottom, so a car parked on a flat surface that had water ingress, would drain naturally.
Being on an incline could cause the water to build up.
But how is the water getting in?
Rear window seals, the wiper shaft seal and around the light clusters are all possibilities.
Be interesting to see what they find....
2016 VW Tiguan Mk2 2.0L SEL 150 4Motion Manual Diesel. Indium Grey.
Vienna Black leather, electrically adjustable. 4 heated seats. Stainless exhaust trims, K&N 33-3005 air filter. RLine pedal covers. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tyres.

chrisb

Post by chrisb » Sun May 02, 2021 6:57 pm

Marylatte1992 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:50 pm
Hi, I’ve booked my car in on Tuesday with VW service regarding hearing water slushing around inside the tailgate when I open and close it. It’s only obvious after very heavy rain!

There’s no evidence of leak inside the boot which is a relief but there’s definitely water getting inside the tailgate door itself. Occasionally It drains itself out through the bottom of the tailgate on opening and through the lock (drenching the top of my head along with it!) but even then I can still hear the water inside, it doesn’t fully drain.

I have the 2021 Tiguan 1.5 r line

Has anyone else had this issue?
There is another thread with this problem, op said dealer found hairline gap between glass and boot lid!! See- “water in tailgate”
2019 SE-NAV 2WD TDI 150PS MANUAL IN TUNGSTEN SILVER, TITAN BLACK
VIENNA LEATHER.

Marylatte1992

Post by Marylatte1992 » Mon May 03, 2021 5:45 pm

Thank you so much.

I don’t park my car on any incline. I’ll definitely keep you posted on what they say!

It will be interesting to see what they say tomorrow but I will definitely call them to let them know someone else had a similar issue and it was down to that hair line gap! It’s a bad week for my tailgate with all this rain I’m glad it will be in the garage soon!

Craigc

Post by Craigc » Mon May 03, 2021 6:44 pm

67E95F36-1C50-4D5E-9AC2-2BFBD2005120.jpeg

Hi, This appeared on mine a couple of weeks after delivery, on the black area of rear window, looked like clear glue, no chip on outside or mark. Dealer tried to say that something must have hit it, but after I pointed out that there was no mark on outside and that it was behind plastic trim on the inside they agreed to change it ?? Maybe Bad batch of rear screens. Only thing now, something rolling around inside every time I open the boot, so another trip to Dealer 😬