Looking to buy a Tiggy

New to the Tiguan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Madmatt2002

Looking to buy a Tiggy

Post by Madmatt2002 » Mon May 03, 2021 7:52 am

Hi All. Normally join forums after buying the car, but have a question before I splash the cash.
I’ve found a lovely 67 plate r-line 2.0D that’s up for £22k with 28500miles on it. It’s to replace the wife’s qashqai so is quite an upgrade. :)
Questions I have are
1. Are there any common problems for me to check on/look for
2. Is the diesel the right choice? It’s for the wife and she does about 8k miles a year of urban driving.
3. Should I look to buy new instead? I’ve always got a loan in the past, never done pcp, but dealers say this is the way forward? I’d have about 5k to put down on this (Please note I hate buying cars and change every 8 years in general due to hating losing loads in depreciation)
Thanks for answers and advice in advance.

Tammma

Re: Looking to buy a Tiggy

Post by Tammma » Mon May 03, 2021 8:10 am

On PCP, it's the way forward because he makes a margin on the car and an even bigger commission on the loan he sells you.

I am not saying dont take out a PCP loan, but you need to assess whether it's right vs your own circumstances. Close to 10pct APR is robbery in my view in today's low rate environment. Yes you get an extended warranty and other stuff thrown it like 'free' servicing, but you're basically just paying for a service plan through the high rate, again locking you into dealer servicing. You can see why it's a win win win and the way forward for the dealer. Is it necessarily the way forward for you? PCP is a great product if used correctly. I personally would never PCP a used car. Others may have different views, again just IMHO.

Could you just take out the 20grand from the mortgage paying single digits and pay back the mortgage at the same rate you would've paid back the PCP loan?

On the car itself, I'm sure it'll be great, especially if it's got a clean service record. I am low mileage urban and specifically opted for a 190tsi instead. You'll find plenty that prefer the diesel for the fuel economy however.

T

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Mon May 03, 2021 8:16 am

I can't answer 1) for you as I've only had mine since March & been unable to drive it for the last month, post surgery. I'm sure there are much more knowledgeable owners who can though.

2) I my opinion, Diesel is not the best choice. Unless your wife is going to be doing longish runs on dual carriageways, petrol will probably be a better solution. You then have no worries with DPF's to clear etc. The 1.5TSI matched with the DSG gearbox I cannot recommend highly enough.

3) I bought mine outright as I'm intending to keep it for a long time. It might be worth having a chat with a dealer about what part ex they can offer you. Have a look at the trim levels and see which one you fancy. Life at bare minimum is worth a look. If your not bothered about adding options, you can have a brand new car within 4 weeks. There's plenty of stock cars about.
2021 Tiguan Elegance Deep Black Pearlescent 1.5 DSG Petrol

Scorpion

Post by Scorpion » Mon May 03, 2021 11:58 am

From what you have said I would not be worried about any issues as most people don’t experience any.

I would buy a petrol engine model, not too old and from the main dealer. Oh and pay cash not pcp.

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Mon May 03, 2021 1:24 pm

Yes, as has been said, with the low mileage your wife is doing she’d be asking for DPF troubles with a diesel, so a petrol is the way to go.

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Mon May 03, 2021 1:25 pm

Firstly the car: £22k sounds high for a 4 year old car, you don't say what spec or what engine, the 2l diesels come in 2 power versions, 150 ps or 184 ps at that year. For that price it'd have to be top spec model and engine.

I'd concur about the choice of diesel, 2 reasons for buying a diesel, either you do a lot of mileage and concerned over fuel cost, or you tow and need the torque. Otherwise the 1.5 petrol's are excellent cars.

Tiguan mk2's were introduced in 2016, and the spec was limited at the beginning, and there were some issues (search for car braking by itself) These were largely resolved with later models, have a good long test drive to check.

Paying cash: Everyone would like to, but not everyone has that amount of cash spare, and it doesn't necessarily get the best deal.

PCP for used cars the interest is high, yes you offset the amount you're paying interest on, but the payments on a personal loan on the whole amount at a much lower interest may not be too different.

PCP for new cars is much more attractive, interest rates are much lower, you get a contribution from VW, and of course your repayments are only on a proportion of the capital cost, with the balance payable at the end or hand back. This is a guaranteed final value, so you know what it'll be from the start. From my viewpoint this means if the market value at the end if the deal is very low (lower than the final value) you can hand it back and walk away. Also if it's been troublesome, you can walk away.

If the final payment matches the book you can choose to take a personal loan for the balance. This is what I did for mine. You might also find the trade in offered at the end is higher than the final payment so you can swop up, which is what we did with the misses swopping from Polo to T-Cross.

Lots to consider, but hope this helps you.

Madmatt2002

Post by Madmatt2002 » Tue May 04, 2021 8:39 am

The model I was looking at is here- https://www.parkroadgaragebedford.com/u ... volkswagen
It seems quite a good price to me? Would hope to get for around 20500 Mark after ‘aggling
Am now very much thinking petrol as totally get the dpf problems (had them in the past) but concerns about the petrol being underpowered? Deffo want an r-line though with as many extras as I can find.
Thanks for all your replies

mrew42

Post by mrew42 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:01 am

Madmatt2002 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:39 am
The model I was looking at is here- https://www.parkroadgaragebedford.com/u ... volkswagen
It seems quite a good price to me? Would hope to get for around 20500 Mark after ‘aggling
Am now very much thinking petrol as totally get the dpf problems (had them in the past) but concerns about the petrol being underpowered? Deffo want an r-line though with as many extras as I can find.
For that age Tig there's only a 2.0 180PS Tsi available, so it's more powerful than the 150PS Tdi.
And looks like its more expensive too
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search ... ype=Petrol
2020 R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG in Pure White - Carista tweaks, Bumper Protector, Heko Wind Deflectors. Carshades, DTE pedal box

Madmatt2002

Post by Madmatt2002 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:30 am

mrew42 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:01 am
Madmatt2002 wrote:
For that age Tig there's only a 2.0 180PS Tsi available, so it's more powerful than the 150PS Tdi.
So makes the one I was looking at quite a good price then? Do they all have internal door/roof led’s? Or just all r-lines, or is this an optional extra?

mrew42

Post by mrew42 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:36 am

Madmatt2002 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:30 am
mrew42 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:01 am
Madmatt2002 wrote:
So makes the one I was looking at quite a good price then? Do they all have internal door/roof led’s? Or just all r-lines, or is this an optional extra?
Used to be standard on the R Line, it had some issues and got 'disabled' as part of a recall, then a fix. Not before they removed it completely from new orders. Mine (My20) doesn't have it.
And yes, that's not a bad price.
2020 R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG in Pure White - Carista tweaks, Bumper Protector, Heko Wind Deflectors. Carshades, DTE pedal box