Electronic Handbrake

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Headbanger

Electronic Handbrake

Post by Headbanger » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:52 pm

Hi all

Took delivery of my Tiguan Monday, my first VW & well impressed (so far).

When I test drove the R Line back in March I swear that when the vehicle came to a stop the electronic handbrake came on automatically & that the salesman specifically made mention of this.
Mine doesn’t do this & there’s no mention of it in the handbook, it’s not a problem but did I dream this or is this something they used to offer & no longer do so?
Tiguan R-Line 1.5TSI EVO DSG, white, head up display, DynAudio & tyre pressure monitor.
Ordered 9th April ‘19
Delivered 8th July ‘19

niggly58

Re: Electronic Handbrake

Post by niggly58 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:07 pm

The electronic handbrake only comes on if you manually operate it when you come to a stop. The only time is applies itself automatically is when you park and turn off the engine.
What you have got is a facility called Auto Hold. When it is activated- shown by the Auto Hold switch being illuminated- as you come to rest by braking, the car will maintain the brake pressure on all four wheels, effectively holding you still. A green P symbol will light up on the display. As you go to pull away, this will release. This all operates independently of the electronic handbrake, which is applied by electric motors on the rear calipers. It's a great system when it works correctly....
2016 VW Tiguan Mk2 2.0L SEL 150 4Motion Manual Diesel. Indium Grey.
Vienna Black leather, electrically adjustable. 4 heated seats. Stainless exhaust trims, K&N 33-3005 air filter. RLine pedal covers. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tyres.

Still Game

Post by Still Game » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:15 pm

I'll second that, I've only had mines a couple of days but the auto hold feature is magic 🤘🏻

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:22 pm

The only time I ever switch off Auto Hold is in tricky parking manoeuvres, so that you're not always fighting the brake.

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, but MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather with memory, Keyless and electric tailgate, Tyre Pressure Monitor (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, Protection pack and HUD.

niggly58

Post by niggly58 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:35 pm

Steve,
Try turning off Manoeuvre Braking in the menus to see if this helps when parking.
Vienna Black leather, electrically adjustable. 4 heated seats. Stainless exhaust trims, K&N 33-3005 air filter. RLine pedal covers. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tyres.

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:31 pm

niggly58 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:35 pm
Steve,
Try turning off Manoeuvre Braking in the menus to see if this helps when parking.
That’s not a bad idea, but I’m mainly thinking about using ‘Park Assist’, where Auto Hold tries to fight it all the time, and it certainly makes fine use of the accelerator virtually impossible.

Steve
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather with memory, Keyless and electric tailgate, Tyre Pressure Monitor (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, Protection pack and HUD.

niggly58

Post by niggly58 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:35 pm

I've got park assist, but she sits in the passenger seat :o :D

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:42 pm

niggly58 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:35 pm
I've got park assist, but she sits in the passenger seat :o :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve

iggy

Post by iggy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:30 pm

Essjay wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:22 pm
The only time I ever switch off Auto Hold is in tricky parking manoeuvres, so that you're not always fighting the brake.

Steve
exactly the same for me, great feature though

Headbanger

Post by Headbanger » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:27 am

niggly58 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:07 pm
The electronic handbrake only comes on if you manually operate it when you come to a stop. The only time is applies itself automatically is when you park and turn off the engine.
What you have got is a facility called Auto Hold. When it is activated- shown by the Auto Hold switch being illuminated- as you come to rest by braking, the car will maintain the brake pressure on all four wheels, effectively holding you still. A green P symbol will light up on the display. As you go to pull away, this will release. This all operates independently of the electronic handbrake, which is applied by electric motors on the rear calipers. It's a great system when it works correctly....
I must have have been getting Auto Hold muddled up.
Do you leave Auto Hold on permanently?
Tiguan R-Line 1.5TSI EVO DSG, white, head up display, DynAudio & tyre pressure monitor.
Ordered 9th April ‘19
Delivered 8th July ‘19

Return to “Main Volkswagen Tiguan chat”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.