Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Painting brakes

9K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Russboy 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of painting the brake calliper but very undecided what colour to paint them, the cars pearlescent black and was thinking ether yellow or red, what's your thought?

#2 ·
I had pondered the same thing- given how scruffy the calipers look after such a short time. I am more inclined toward a silver or gunmetal colour as I think red or yellow might look even worse when dirty than they do unpainted.

#5 ·
I had my wheels hubs done by the detailer

I picked silver for the hubs and red for the callipers.

I am delighted with the results, the callipers and not that big on the Tiguan, but I did not want them to stand out too much

I can recommend red callipers and silver hubs.

I would not go for any loud colours as most likely you will go off them eventually

The only reason I got mine done it I did not want them looking years old after a few months of rust etc

Attachments

#6 ·
neelytom said:

I am delighted with the results, the callipers and not that big on the Tiguan, but I did not want them to stand out too much

I would not go for any loud colours as most likely you will go off them eventually

The only reason I got mine done it I did not want them looking years old after a few months of rust etc
Looks great!

#7 ·
They look good neelytom. Is it something you could do yourself with the right paint (spray or brush on ?? ) just get the wheel off etc..or is it more complicated than that? I notice you had your detailer do it. And finally, how long are you expecting to keep them pristine for and are there any top ups necessary ?

#8 ·
neelytom said:

Nice one. Was thinking of doing the exact same thing. Nice to see the pic... Any warranty concerns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
ChocolateBear said:
neelytom said:

Nice one. Was thinking of doing the exact same thing. Nice to see the pic... Any warranty concerns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello

the hubs and callipers were painted on the car without removal so no warranty concerns. VW confirmed this.

I am really pleased how they turned out. Its heat resistant paint, could not trust myself to do a perfect job so left it to the dealer

#10 ·
DPStratMan said:
They look good neelytom. Is it something you could do yourself with the right paint (spray or brush on ?? ) just get the wheel off etc..or is it more complicated than that? I notice you had your detailer do it. And finally, how long are you expecting to keep them pristine for and are there any top ups necessary ?
Hi there

Im a perfectionist and could not trust myself not to spill paint or have a nice finish, so as the car was getting detailed and it was something they offered I got the detailer to do it.

As far as I know they were painted on the car without the need of the calliper removal, and they were painted with a heat resistant calliper paint with a small fine brush.

When I was enquiring he already had a BMW in for a new ceramic coating it was approx 5 years old and had the callipers painted when new. they still looked pristine thats what sealed it for me.

as well as getting the callipers painted he painted the hubs (centres of the brake discs) so they would not rust the car went to the detailer straight from collection so there was no rust already on the callipers or hubs, if you want a perfect finish any rust would need to be removed I'm sure a wire brush etc is used.

I would definitely recommend doing it either yourself or by a detailer.

I really hate when you look at a new car and after a few months they caliper/hubs look years old because of rust.

#12 ·
Bringing this post back to life as I've noticed surface rust on my hubs (not the braking surface). Car is 16 months old with 4600 miles but prob not relative.

Might as well paint the calipers at the same time and thinking red, with silver for the hubs.

Any suggestions for the heat resistant paint to use?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.