4 Motion DSG Noise upon Deceleration at low speed!

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
GTD184

4 Motion DSG Noise upon Deceleration at low speed!

Post by GTD184 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:55 am

As the subject title states - my wife's 2017 - 190ps Tiguan R-Line has a muffled grating noise when decelerating at low speed and turning into corners :shock: :? it has only covered 1,300 miles!

She has had it looked at by the selling VW dealer and although the noise has been confirmed VW technical say it is a gearbox "characteristic" which I am not happy about. The dealer has supplied a similar car for comparison which although exhibited a similar noise it was not as obvious.

The dealer informs me that until a sizeable number of reports from other owners are submitted to VW Technical they will treat it as a "characteristic"

This issue is only applicable to 4 motion derivatives so if anyone else has this grating noise your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ;)
Delivered 03.03.2017 - Tiguan R-Line 190ps - Pure White - Leather, Dynaudio, Keyless/Electric Tailgate, Park Assist/RV Camera, Towbar, Prog Steering, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Heated O/Rear Seats, 4 Year Warranty, Service Pack & Bootliner! :D

niggly58

Re: 4 Motion DSG Noise upon Deceleration at low speed!

Post by niggly58 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:08 pm

I'm not familiar with the DSG gearbox but I fail to see that any modern vehicle would have a mechanical grating sound as a characteristic. The turning into corners part suggests it is differential related. I would continue to push the dealer and VW themselves until you get a satisfactory conclusion.
2016 VW Tiguan Mk2 2.0L SEL 150 4Motion Manual Diesel in Indium Grey.
Vienna Black leather upholstery, electrically adjustable with heated seats. Stainless exhaust trims and RLine pedal covers.
Summer mpg average = 48.9 ; Winter = 45.9

Miket

Post by Miket » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:20 pm

GTD184 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:55 am
As the subject title states - my wife's 2017 - 190ps Tiguan R-Line has a muffled grating noise when decelerating at low speed and turning into corners :shock: :? it has only covered 1,300 miles!

She has had it looked at by the selling VW dealer and although the noise has been confirmed VW technical say it is a gearbox "characteristic" which I am not happy about. The dealer has supplied a similar car for comparison which although exhibited a similar noise it was not as obvious.

The dealer informs me that until a sizeable number of reports from other owners are submitted to VW Technical they will treat it as a "characteristic"

This issue is only applicable to 4 motion derivatives so if anyone else has this grating noise your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ;)
I don't think My rline 4 motion has any noises like that, but if you want to drive out to bidford on Avon you can have a ride in mine as a comparison
2.0TDI BMT 150 4Motion R-Line 5dr DSG in Deep Black pearlescent with Tyre pressure monitor, Dynaudio excite sound pack discover nav pro, Keyless entry/start/electric tailgate & Park assist with rear view camera, sunroof, heated front seats

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:29 pm

No such noise on my 2015 (mk1) DSG 4Motion

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:06 pm

Again, no grating noise coming from my DSG either.

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSI 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, but ‘17 Model).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather with memory, Keyless and electric tailgate, Tyre Pressure Monitor (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, Protection pack and HUD.

GTD184

Post by GTD184 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:19 pm

Miket wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:20 pm
I don't think My rline 4 motion has any noises like that, but if you want to drive out to bidford on Avon you can have a ride in mine as a comparison
Miket I know you are a few miles from me but I might take you up on your kind offer ;)
The noise is only evident at low speeds when coming off the accelerator approaching road junctions or corners! VW service have confirmed the noise although as mentioned VW technical believe it to be a "characteristic" as the noise was apparent in a comparison Tiguan.
Delivered 03.03.2017 - Tiguan R-Line 190ps - Pure White - Leather, Dynaudio, Keyless/Electric Tailgate, Park Assist/RV Camera, Towbar, Prog Steering, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Heated O/Rear Seats, 4 Year Warranty, Service Pack & Bootliner! :D

GTD184

Post by GTD184 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:25 pm

niggly58 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:08 pm
I'm not familiar with the DSG gearbox but I fail to see that any modern vehicle would have a mechanical grating sound as a characteristic. The turning into corners part suggests it is differential related. I would continue to push the dealer and VW themselves until you get a satisfactory conclusion.
Totally agree niggly58 I have been pushing VW but they are using the fact that another Tiguan in their demo fleet has the same "characteristic" so believe it is a common trait!

GTD184

Post by GTD184 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:42 pm

Miket I have sent you a PM!

Bhuna

Post by Bhuna » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:09 pm

GTD184 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:25 pm
niggly58 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:08 pm
Totally agree niggly58 I have been pushing VW but they are using the fact that another Tiguan in their demo fleet has the same "characteristic" so believe it is a common trait!
Absolutely disgusting how they are happy to quickly say its a common trait rather than a possible common fault without actually further investigating.

That's a bit like telling the thread of "stop b.oody braking" - its a common trait - get used to it...

To be on the safe side, start keeping a formal log of all visits etc and concerns etc and the visits and checks and their responses. If still concerned no actual proper investigation into it etc, then write a formal letter of complaint BEFORE warranty runs out.

Then if no luck with that, and warranty runs out and then something goes wrong with the gearbox because of the grinding etc and at an unreasonable period of time (ie non expected lifetime of the gearbox) - you have evidence that you logged this before the warranty run out and therefore they should be the ones paying for repair etc. Not sure if it will hold up (as I am not legally trained) but you can always try and you have kept logs etc of it all strengthening any case you might have.
Andy.

¦ Tiguan SEL 2.0 TDI 2WD 150PS 7-Speed DSG ¦ Rear view camera with park assist ¦ Urano Grey ¦
¦ Ordered: 20 Feb ¦ With Factory: 07 Mar ¦ Transit: 22 Apr ¦ U.K.: 15 May ¦ Collected on: 23 May ¦

c_w

Post by c_w » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:39 pm

The only noise I hear occasionally (depending on ambient noises, like fan/radio etc) is a slightly whine in 2nd decelerating. Hopefully this may go away as the gearbox beds in.

Return to “Main Volkswagen Tiguan chat”