Traffic Jam Assist Activation

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Chris
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:44 am
Location: Australia

Traffic Jam Assist Activation

Post by Chris » Fri May 04, 2018 7:57 am

I have received a PM asking for the details of activating TJA as I have mentioned it before and he wanted the details of how to do it. It was done by a member of this forum (Kamold) http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au and the details can be seen here http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ ... jam+assist

I suggest you contact Kamold and ask if he can arrange it because the person who cracked it is in Holland and it was he who did my car by remoting in from Holland.

I am replying to the PM via this post as I am sure others would be interested in having it activated. The important bit is VCDS alone will not do the job. I would bet money there are people out there who have TJA and are not aware of it as the education surrounding its use and limitations is woeful to say the least so if you don't know how here is how to confirm that.

ACC must be active and set.

The car must exceed 67kph and when that happens the two parallel green lines appear on the dash.

When following another vehicle and it begins to slow down your speed also drops at the same time

If the two green lines stay green and do not turn orange under about 67kph and continue to stay green down to zero then TJA is active

The only difference between TJA and no TJA is that self steering is active down to zero speed

There is no switch or control to turn on TJA apart from the ACC switch and no other indicator apart from the two green lines.

If when you slow down you use the brake ACC will kick out and TJA will be turned off. It requires the driver to allow the car to control itself and the driver to oversee what is happening. You gotta have faith!!!
Last edited by Chris on Fri May 04, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White 162kw/217.246hp, DSG


Tradewinds
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:27 pm

Re: Traffic Jam Assist Activation

Post by Tradewinds » Fri May 04, 2018 9:00 am

Good post.
Exactly how mine works.
It brings the car to a complete stop and then a message appears saying acc ready to go.
Press resume and away you go when the traffic moves or the lights changes.
Tiguan 2.0TDI 190 4Motion R-Line DSG Tungsten Silver
Keyless Entry and Start with Electric tailgate. Park Assist with Rear View camera. Swivel Tow bar.
Navigation Pro with 9.2inch screen.Vienna Leather. Towing a Coachman Pastiche 565.


User avatar
Essjay
Posts: 2244
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:25 pm
Location: West Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Traffic Jam Assist Activation

Post by Essjay » Fri May 04, 2018 10:21 am

Tradewinds, with respect, what you have just posted is a classic example of getting ACC confused with TJA.
What you have described is the exact function of ACC, which will bring your car to a standstill, and then indicate it is ready to restart.
TJA adds to this, as Chris has already explained above, by combining with Lane Assist, and controlling both the distance and steering to a standstill.
As Chris has said, if your Lane Assist indicator on the dash changes from green to orange at speeds below 67kph, then I’m afraid you do not have TJA.

To reiterate, NO Tiguans destined for the UK market have TJA activated by the manufacturer.

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, but MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather with memory, Keyless and electric tailgate, Tyre Pressure Monitor (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, Protection pack and HUD.


Chris
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:44 am
Location: Australia

Re: Traffic Jam Assist Activation

Post by Chris » Fri May 04, 2018 1:32 pm

Essjay wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:21 am
Tradewinds, with respect, what you have just posted is a classic example of getting ACC confused with TJA.
What you have described is the exact function of ACC, which will bring your car to a standstill, and then indicate it is ready to restart.
TJA adds to this, as Chris has already explained above, by combining with Lane Assist, and controlling both the distance and steering to a standstill.
As Chris has said, if your Lane Assist indicator on the dash changes from green to orange at speeds below 67kph, then I’m afraid you do not have TJA.

To reiterate, NO Tiguans destined for the UK market have TJA activated by the manufacturer.

Steve
Is that still the case? The first shipments of cars into Oz did not have it so everyone got stuck into VWA and they enabled it at the first production change after they promised on a stack of bibles that it would never be enabled in Oz cars.
White 162kw/217.246hp, DSG


bignick8t3
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:31 pm

Re: Traffic Jam Assist Activation

Post by bignick8t3 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:36 pm

Afternoon All,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just wanted to let people know that I have successfully activated TJA on my Tiguan with the assistance of Kamold of http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/

Have lane assist work all the way down to a stop and then from start works well when in traffic.

Nick


JK-VWTiguanR
Posts: 1981
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:36 pm

Re: Traffic Jam Assist Activation

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:47 pm

May help others,



2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.


Carl_L
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: Traffic Jam Assist Activation

Post by Carl_L » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:53 pm

bignick8t3 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:36 pm
Afternoon All,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just wanted to let people know that I have successfully activated TJA on my Tiguan with the assistance of Kamold of http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/

Have lane assist work all the way down to a stop and then from start works well when in traffic.

Nick
Does it really? Or is it just placebo?

Having lane assist remain operable down to a slow speed doesn't really help in a jam, does it?........surely you're so close to the car in front that the cameras can no longer see the lanes?

True TJA relies on being able to follow (& trust) the car in front at really slow speeds.

I'll leave it to the individual to decide on whether a simple hack of the parameters is worth the effort. (Edit: Yes, I can see benefit of staying active a little bit below 67kph, just can't see that it can really control steering in nose-to-tail)
Ordered 2.0 TSI SEL 19/8/18, to be delivered a week & a bit after hell freezes over - Good job I've chosen 4Motion :lol:

Tungsten Silver, Side Scan, 230v Socket, Dynaudio, Voice Control, Area View + Park Assist, Progressive Steering, TPS, Tow Bar


bignick8t3
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:31 pm

Re: Traffic Jam Assist Activation

Post by bignick8t3 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:37 pm

All I can is after using it I have no issue with it.

Like any of the automated systems on these cars its down to the driver to monitor what the car is doing, so I see looking at what TJA does the same as Lane Assist and ACC.

Each to their own at the end of the day :D


Chris
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:44 am
Location: Australia

Re: Traffic Jam Assist Activation

Post by Chris » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:09 am

Carl_L wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:53 pm
bignick8t3 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:36 pm
Afternoon All,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just wanted to let people know that I have successfully activated TJA on my Tiguan with the assistance of Kamold of http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/

Have lane assist work all the way down to a stop and then from start works well when in traffic.

Nick
Does it really? Or is it just placebo?

Having lane assist remain operable down to a slow speed doesn't really help in a jam, does it?........surely you're so close to the car in front that the cameras can no longer see the lanes?

True TJA relies on being able to follow (& trust) the car in front at really slow speeds.

I'll leave it to the individual to decide on whether a simple hack of the parameters is worth the effort. (Edit: Yes, I can see benefit of staying active a little bit below 67kph, just can't see that it can really control steering in nose-to-tail)
It actually works fully as you would expect, follows the car in front, maintains speed, holds side spacing from other vehicles, starts and stops within stated limitations of ACC and under 12kph does not need any steering input at all as the 3 seconds requirement is suspended.
White 162kw/217.246hp, DSG


cardriver29
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: Traffic Jam Assist Activation

Post by cardriver29 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:17 am

My UK 66 plate definitely does not have that. Had a little play with ACC in this mornings jam and there is no lane assist.

I think I would pay to have that enabled but it seems to depend on the model of front camera which might only be there in MY17.

I wonder how you can check what part number of front camera you have
Tiguan SEL 2.0 TSI. 66 Plate. White. Vienna Leather. Storm grey. DSG. Side scan, Park assist with Area view, TPMS, DCC, Towbar, Electric tailgate, Voice, Dynaudio. Headlight washers. Heated steering wheel. HUD


Post Reply

Return to “Main Volkswagen Tiguan chat”


VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.