Shocked into how bad the SatNav is!!!

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Browny

Shocked into how bad the SatNav is!!!

Post by Browny » Sat May 19, 2018 3:17 pm

I feel a huge disappointment into how bad this system is. Coming from Audi which I thought there’s is very good to this...
Simple routes it goes the worst way possible. It just because the mileage is the least.
It comes up with 3 possible routes but there all the same? What’s that all about!!
I even have it connected to carnet this makes no difference what so ever!! It seems do everything possible to avoid dual carriageways(nothing has been selected to avoid).
I am honestly shocked about this system... :|
I didn’t want to use carplay because I did want to use the satnav in the dash🙁 oh well..
2.0 Tdi 150 , DSG , R-Line 4 motion Pure White - Keyless/Auto Boot/Dynaudio/Reverse Camera

pobk

Re: Shocked into how bad the SatNav is!!!

Post by pobk » Sat May 19, 2018 3:33 pm

Did you read the manual? Have you modified the settings? Have you checked and if required updated the maps to the latest? Are you simply expecting a piece of software to magically detect what you want of it?

Frankly I never have and never will use any built-in satnav unless theres a catastrophic failure of all other mechanisms I use... It would be a last-ditch item to use before falling back to hardcopy maps. The built-in things tend to be old software, old algorithms, limited input from external sources of information, limited in map updates.

Use carplay. Simples. Plenty of SatNav apps out there that will work with CarPlay.

~ Rich

CNC

Post by CNC » Sat May 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Browny wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 3:17 pm
I feel a huge disappointment into how bad this system is. Coming from Audi which I thought there’s is very good to this...
Simple routes it goes the worst way possible. It just because the mileage is the least.
It comes up with 3 possible routes but there all the same? What’s that all about!!
I even have it connected to carnet this makes no difference what so ever!! It seems do everything possible to avoid dual carriageways(nothing has been selected to avoid).
I am honestly shocked about this system... :|
I didn’t want to use carplay because I did want to use the satnav in the dash🙁 oh well..
I use the built in sat nav pretty much every working day, and having now covered just over 19k miles in 7 months it's had a fair amount of calculations to do and I find it pretty good, not perfect, but very good. I never select the shortest route as it can include country lanes barely wide enough to walk down let alone drive down.
No sat nav is perfect and never will be, sometimes you have to use your common sense and ignore it, but it has never failed to get me to my destination - yet.
Sometimes the 3 routes are the same, sometimes they are completely different, and sometimes I want to go my own way so I do that, and it re-routes as expected, but it has never let me down.
Connecting to Carnet greatly improves the traffic avoidance feature.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

182_blue

Post by 182_blue » Sat May 19, 2018 4:36 pm

Coming from a Audi I find the VW system just as good if not better!
Mk2 R Line , DSG 180 petrol

JK-VWTiguanR

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Sat May 19, 2018 5:02 pm

The only hing I find strange is you can not enter the post code of the address.
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.

Gixermark

Post by Gixermark » Sat May 19, 2018 5:12 pm

Yes you can use post code!
Took me some time but :
When you see the city press the city and the postcode screen comes up : ptcd ( bottom Left ) .... enjoy ....😉

20180519_180706.jpg

20180519_180714.jpg

20180519_180725.jpg

Ordered Oct17 / Built week 49 / arrived UK 25/11 ... Collected 16/12/17 😁 :D : 240 R Line, Extra's -Keyless+Tailgate,Area View+Park,Voice Activation,Headlight Washer, HUD,Tyre pressure Monitor. Running Boards :D

Miket

Post by Miket » Sat May 19, 2018 5:18 pm

What pee’s me off is the three options, the colours don’t match
2.0TDI BMT 190 4Motion R-Line tech 5dr DSG metallic silver

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Sat May 19, 2018 5:33 pm

Routing is pretty dreadful on the whole, I have a TomTom and that is far better, but then it ought to be as it's a dedicated unit. Car-net though is useful for confirming what TomTom thinks are delays through its Live Traffic function.
Tiguan 2.0 TDi BMT 190 4Motion SEL 5dr DSG in Tungsten Silver
Trailer Assist including rear view camera
Swivelling Towbar

Browny

Post by Browny » Sat May 19, 2018 5:51 pm

Also I used carnet on my laptop to check the route. Then once I send it to the car it doesn’t even do that route!!!? :oops:
2.0 Tdi 150 , DSG , R-Line 4 motion Pure White - Keyless/Auto Boot/Dynaudio/Reverse Camera

CNC

Post by CNC » Sat May 19, 2018 6:16 pm

Gixermark wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:12 pm
Yes you can use post code!
Took me some time but :
When you see the city press the city and the postcode screen comes up : ptcd ( bottom Left ) .... enjoy ....😉
The newer system just accepts the postcode straight from the beginning, just put in whatever it is and it finds it. Are you running the latest software?. I seem to remember the postcode option was on the early version.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged