Shocked into how bad the SatNav is!!!

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Paul85

Re: Shocked into how bad the SatNav is!!!

Post by Paul85 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:03 pm

All satnavs take some getting used to. When I moved from Garmin to TomTom, I thought the TomTom really clunky but, with use, it became intuitive. The same with the VW satnav. At first I found it counter-intuitive but again, through use find it OK, not brilliant, but adequate for my use. I also use CarNet to find locations and send them to the car so all my destination are 'online destinations' and that works well. I have found that the traffic avoidance provides acceptable detours both in the UK and in France. By no means perfect but OK. The handbook, however, is not very helpful - too many cross references.

JK-VWTiguanR

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Mon May 21, 2018 6:55 am

MJW wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:38 pm
Hi, I took delivery of my Tiguan R line, in November, and from day one I had problems with the Map freezing whilst on a route, and the only way to overcome this was to stop the guidance and restart the route. It went into Johnsons at the end of November to be told it was a recognised problem and they were awaiting an upgrade. This eventually came in April, but despite the upgrade, the Sat Nav had the same problem, losing the route, and map freezing, or not recalculating alternative routes,but dialogue continued. Car went back in the end of April, and was told it needed a new Sat Nav unit. This , allegedly, was fitted on the 10th May, but first long trip I used it on it failed again twice so it is still not fixed, it is doing exactly the same thing. So it has got to go in again. I am wondering if the problem is more about the unit losing the Satellite signals, ie an aerial problem. We shall see, but I agree the inbuilt unit is pants. Anyone else having similar problems ????
MJW.
What head unit have you got in the car as i have not had a single issue with mine, touch wood.
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.

Psshaw

Post by Psshaw » Mon May 21, 2018 1:52 pm

Yep I agree you press new destinations and type it in. Or if you’ve got the voice package the very posh lady will accept the post code. I took the advice of another member and knocked of the dynamic tick box and just have it on fastest route then I should avoid cobbled tracks etc. No guarantees of course. Unless I know some of the route I do what I tells me. As of today I start it up and and don’t turn anything off, I’m on about auto start hill hold etc. It’s what it’s supposed for to do so swim with the tide.

GGove

Post by GGove » Mon May 21, 2018 2:07 pm

I find it best if you have an IPhone to open up maps before you enter the car, punch in location (address or postcode) and when you go in the car plug in Apple Car Play and it brings up the maps straight away, with your destination already there, press start and away you go and it is in the screen not only that if you get a text when driving it will show up on screen and you can reply by speaking.
Ordered 16-8-17 TIG 2.0 TSI SEL, DSG, Indium Grey, Vienna Leather, Side Scan, Wireless Charger, Keyless/Elec Tailgate, Area View, HUD, Voice Control-Delivered 16-10-17

Shiv_P

Post by Shiv_P » Mon May 21, 2018 2:59 pm

You guys having to go into a postcode menu... for me it just works putting the postcode into the main search bar
Ordered 30/7/17 SEL 1.4T DSG | Tungsten Silver | Vienna Black Leather | Powered Tailgate | Rear Camera w/ Park Assist |
Dispatched from factory 06/09/2017!!
Picked up 26/9/17

CNC

Post by CNC » Mon May 21, 2018 5:08 pm

Shiv_P wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:59 pm
You guys having to go into a postcode menu... for me it just works putting the postcode into the main search bar
That's how I do it, much simpler than using the full address then having to select postcode.

For those that haven't tried it press:
Nav
New destination
Select option: POI/address
Enter postcode and off you go.
Simple!.

Use this page:

2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

Ron Dobson

Post by Ron Dobson » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:32 pm

GGove wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:07 pm
I find it best if you have an IPhone to open up maps before you enter the car, punch in location (address or postcode) and when you go in the car plug in Apple Car Play and it brings up the maps straight away, with your destination already there, press start and away you go and it is in the screen not only that if you get a text when driving it will show up on screen and you can reply by speaking.
No good if there isn't a mobile signal!

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:46 pm

You're replying to a 3 year old post! Not sure if the OP's even still around.

Tammma

Post by Tammma » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:32 pm

I have to say, I still don't trust VW sat nav routing 100pct of the time.

On many an occasion it'll route me through an A-road with a max speed limit of 50 rather than go around the outside on a 70limit motorway, at a cost of 5 extra miles on a 50 mile journey.

The time saved in not sitting Iights idling is more than made up for than having to travel a few extra miles at full speed. Google gets it right, whilst VW still leaves a lot to be desired...even with live traffic turned on.

Sometimes I have both Google maps and VW guiding me, and many a time the two will contradict each other and I'll let google overrule VW. I can't say I feel like I've ever been hard done by with that policy...now if only android auto would work on that headunit...

Tubemonster

Post by Tubemonster » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:44 am

Are you comparing like for like with the two? My Google maps is set to “fastest” for every trip whereas the cars satnav gives you three choices. Waze is my go to choice these days purely for the extra info it can give you that other users have entered such as obstruction in the road or police up ahead and car broken down etc etc.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TDI 4Motion 190PS 7 Speed DSG -Factory Tow bar-Keyless-Electric Boot- 360 Area View.