Shocked into how bad the SatNav is!!!

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
veedubnewby

Re: Shocked into how bad the SatNav is!!!

Post by veedubnewby » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:49 am

Hello, calling all triggers out there,
Can anyone tell me how long a satnav update takes to upload to the car?
Had terrible trouble get something on to the card. Don't know if it will even upload.
Appreciate any info.
Stay safe

mrew42

Post by mrew42 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:57 am

Couple of things veedubnewby....
What year is your car and what 'Discover' system do you have?
Has a bearing on the answer :)
2020 R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG in Pure White - Carista tweaks, Bumper Protector, Heko Wind Deflectors. Carshades, DTE pedal box

Tubemonster

Post by Tubemonster » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:08 am

I’m about to do it this afternoon when my new SD card reader arrives. I’ll let you know how long mine took.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TDI 4Motion 190PS 7 Speed DSG -Factory Tow bar-Keyless-Electric Boot- 360 Area View.

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:18 am

It will also depend on which version of the update(s) you choose as there are several, all covering different regions, hence different sized files.

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

Tubemonster

Post by Tubemonster » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:29 am

Essjay wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:18 am
It will also depend on which version of the update(s) you choose as there are several, all covering different regions, hence different sized files.

Steve
Good point Steve. I was toying with Europe 2 but decided to stick with what I had, Europe 1 which is 13.9Gb. As a side, I won’t be reinstalling the speed cameras.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TDI 4Motion 190PS 7 Speed DSG -Factory Tow bar-Keyless-Electric Boot- 360 Area View.

Tammma

Post by Tammma » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:54 am

Tubemonster wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:44 am
Are you comparing like for like with the two? My Google maps is set to “fastest” for every trip whereas the cars satnav gives you three choices. Waze is my go to choice these days purely for the extra info it can give you that other users have entered such as obstruction in the road or police up ahead and car broken down etc etc.
Yes - like for like.

Always go for fastest.

I ignore blue which is the eco route, and orange which is the shortest as I understand it.

Red gives me the quickest ETA and will still route me via the A20 rather than say the A2 when coming off the m25 being a bit more specific with the example I was referring to above. Googlemaps will give me the A2 into London...VW I just ignore and keep driving.

KBEE

Post by KBEE » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:20 pm

Tammma wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:54 am

I ignore blue which is the eco route, and orange which is the shortest as I understand it.
The other way around - Blue is shortest route and Orange is “Eco”.

I use Red (quickest route) the vast majority of the time, but Blue can sometimes shave several miles of distance off for just a couple of minutes extra time, so it’s worth checking what the system says.

I pretty much never use Orange.

I find the VW system to be pretty good. It’s certainly vastly better than the one in my wife’s Mercedes (MBUX) which is really terrible - it is poor at both route finding and getting you to the right destination.

Thankfully as more cars offer wireless CarPlay / Android Auto I think most people with just default to Google Maps or Waze or whatever.

I don’t have a HUD so I do like having the map in the digital dash. That’s probably the main reason I tend to stick with the VW system tbh.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 1.5 Petrol DSG, Indium Grey

Tammma

Post by Tammma » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:27 pm

Got it. The point is I never use orange or blue and always go for the red route with the shortest ETA.

Still VW will give me a bumsteer more often than not. On the odd occasion I have ignored it only to drive into massive congestion that it was clearly trying to route me around. Why google maps was not routing around the same congestion I don't know.

For the most part, VW does the job but if I could get android auto going via the head unit with my s9 I would be using that as my primary nav...

Tubemonster

Post by Tubemonster » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:55 pm

veedubnewby wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:49 am
Hello, calling all triggers out there,
Can anyone tell me how long a satnav update takes to upload to the car?
Had terrible trouble get something on to the card. Don't know if it will even upload.
Appreciate any info.
Stay safe
Revisiting your post, it looks like you mean uploading to the discover pro. I have the discover media and just have to put the maps onto a SD card which then goes into the slot in the car so the length of time that takes is probably of no relevance to you.

Edit: If anyone's interested, total time to back up the car's satnav SD card before deleting and then putting on updated maps (Europe 1 13.9Gb) was 50 mins. Different PC's will be faster or slower.

Nicolestephenson

Post by Nicolestephenson » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:16 am

Just bought an SD card from VW so I can use the satnav but when you go on to images to select the SD card it’s not there and it looks like it’s just not reading it, can anyone help? I have a VW Tiguan 2017