Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Side Scan vs Emergency Assist

20K views 44 replies 16 participants last post by  ozone456 
#1 ·
Does anyone know why you cant have both of these options in the VW configurator?

And if you can have only one, which would you pick?

Thanks

#5 ·
I'm not sure. That article refers to side assist, not side scan. And given its from 2017 might be different with 2019 cars given the differing names. I'll get the dealer to check and report back. Can't see why you'd have side scan in the emergency assist for only £5 more. Makes zero sense. Just offer the emergency assist.

#6 ·
You get all the options apart from Side Assist as standard on the Match model upwards, they are listed as each item under the standard specification listing..

The side assist is a paid extra on all models.

Tiguan Match upwards standard spec,
Adaptive cruise control (ACC)
Front assist
Lane Assist
Park Assist with parking sensors front and rear
Park Assist with rear-view camera

#7 ·
Dealer confirmed today they are separate things which you can't pick together and the emergency assist does not contain side assist. Don't think I'll bother with either as I only really wanted lane assist and hadn't realised that was standard anyway. Thanks for the input guys.

#10 ·
It's within the configurator (option "Fahrerassistenz Paket Plus"). It only shows that it is (technically) possible to have Side Assist and Emergency Assist together. Of course it could be that for whatever reason VW UK have decided not to allow both being combined.

Here the description text (in German):
"Emergency Assist", Stauassistent, Ausparkassistent sowie "Side Assist Plus" inkl. "Lane Assist"*1
Er kann im medizinischen Notfall Leben retten: Der Emergency Assist erkennt - im Rahmen der Systemgrenzen - eine Fahruntüchtigkeit des Fahrers. Wird keine Lenk-, Brems- oder Beschleunigungsaktivität erkannt, kann das System das Fahrzeug in der Spur halten und zum Stillstand abbremsen.

Der Stauassistent ermöglicht ein komfortables Folgefahren in Stausituationen und hilft, typische Stauunfälle zu vermeiden. Das System hält das Fahrzeug in der Spur und steuert selbsttätig Gas und Bremse.

Beim Spurwechselassistenten „Side Assist" überwachen im Rahmen der Grenzen des Systems Radarsensoren im Heckbereich den rückwärtigen Verkehr. Sollte sich während des beabsichtigten Spurwechsels ein vom Radar erfasstes Fahrzeug im nicht einsehbaren Bereich befinden oder sollten sich Fahrzeuge schnell von hinten annähern, warnt das System den Fahrer optisch über eine Anzeige im Außenspiegel. Bei Gefahr beim Spurwechsel wird der Fahrer zusätzlich durch korrigierenden Lenkeingriff gewarnt.

Der Spurhalteassistent „Lane Assist" kann im Rahmen der Grenzen des Systems die Aufmerksamkeit des Fahrers mit einem korrigierenden Lenkeingriff zurück auf das Fahrgeschehen lenken, sobald das Fahrzeug droht, die Spur unbeabsichtigt zu verlassen.

#11 ·
Thanks for that. I think it may be just in the wording. Emergency assist refers only to 'side assist' and not 'side scan'. I think by side assist they are maybe referring to lane keep assist which makes sense in the context of the car performing a safe stop.

#14 ·
In Belgium Side scan, side assist is included in the package with emergency assist.

#16 ·
cyrix2000 said:
It's really weird in the UK as the Sidescan package and Emergency assist package cost nearly the same but exclude each other (so you can only order the one or the other...).

and nobody seems to be able to confirm what each package consists of.
I've ordered Side Scan with my Tiguan R Lin Tech. As far as I understand I'm only gaining Blind Spot monitor which for some silly reason is not standard on an R Line Tech imo.

#18 ·
I think side assist is the lane assist system - side scan is the lane departure warning (yellow blinking light on wing mirror) with the bling spot monitor. I stand to be corrected by anyone.

#20 ·
ZaheerUK said:
I think side assist is the lane assist system - side scan is the lane departure warning (yellow blinking light on wing mirror) with the bling spot monitor. I stand to be corrected by anyone.
I have 'Lane Assist', but none of the others. Lane Assist recognises the white lines on either side of the carriageway and will attempt to keep you in lane by making small adjustments to the steering. It's a very effective system, but if you rely on it too much by taking your hands off the wheel it will remind you to take control after a few seconds. It will 'learn' your driving style and preferred lane position after a while.
You can temporarily override the system for overtaking by using your indicator to pull out and then back in again.

Steve

#21 ·
cyrix2000 said:
It's really weird in the UK as the Sidescan package and Emergency assist package cost nearly the same but exclude each other (so you can only order the one or the other...).

My car made its appearance and I had ordered Emergency Assist. Though I have not experienced the Emergency Assist functionality I did noticed visual warning via light in door mirror housing when ever a vehicle is in my blind spots. This would imply the radar sensor controlled warning system for lane changing and blind spots (Side-Scan) is part of Emergency Assist package - unless they've built my car incorrectly and I have Side-Scan and not Emergency Assist.

#23 ·
ozone456 said:
cyrix2000 said:

My car made its appearance and I had ordered Emergency Assist. Though I have not experienced the Emergency Assist functionality I did noticed visual warning via light in door mirror housing when ever a vehicle is in my blind spots. This would imply the radar sensor controlled warning system for lane changing and blind spots (Side-Scan) is part of Emergency Assist package - unless they've built my car incorrectly and I have Side-Scan and not Emergency Assist.
Ozone - Do your orange indicators in the mirrors flash if you indicate and there is a vehicle detected in your blind spot by the side scan? Mine do and I have the side scan option.

In the current VW options list Emergency Assist and Side Scan are now the same price at £410 - you can't have both according to the options / configurator.

Less easy to check if our vehicles have Emergency Assist functionality!

#25 ·
From my read of the manual Emergency Assist is just an extension on Lane Assist.
Usual lane assist, after alerts and prompts (braking) to get you to take over steering, goes into "passive mode". Believe that's where, on the dash/instrument cluster, the lane assist light appears yellow meanin "Lane Assist is on but NOT active"...Better grab that wheel then as car is not in control!

If you have Emergency Assist , it does not go into passive mode. Instead an attempt is made to control the car, to take into account its surroundings via the Adaptive Cruise Control/Lane assist functions, weave the car, turns on the hazard lights (basically warning other users) and brings the car to a controlled stop.

There is a second generation Emergency Assist that adds Side Assist functionality to the mix and will even move the car into the slow lane. Believe it's on latest Passat, Arteon and Touareg but not seen any discussion/comms to say it's on the latest Tiggy's .
@ Rich-O yes I get as you described hence the thought I may have Side Scan.
Someday, I'll discover if it's true Emergency Assist I have - I'm old school though so letting the car take control still weird (still not used Park Assist 😉)

#26 ·
Rich-O said:
Ozone - Do your orange indicators in the mirrors flash if you indicate and there is a vehicle detected in your blind spot by the side scan? Mine do and I have the side scan option.

In the current VW options list Emergency Assist and Side Scan are now the same price at £410 - you can't have both according to the options / configurator.

Less easy to check if our vehicles have Emergency Assist functionality!
So early morning errand, too early but that's another story, one finds a quiet long stretch of dual carriageway which gave an opportunity to check if Emergency Assist is there.

Yep I do have Emergency Assist.

After usual lane assist prompts/beeps/braking, to get me to take the steering wheel, the Emergency Assist notification appeared on the instrument cluster, hazard lights engaged, and further braking to slow/stop my car. It's at this point I took over the wheel and all went back to normal.
I didn't want to take it further, just in case it triggers a automatic emergency call- it's the section of manual I've not read yet.
As such no checks carried out to see if it's the latest version of Emergency assist as shown in this video for the Arteon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.