Water leak near bonnet release lever

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
nickymartin

Re: Water leak near bonnet release lever

Post by nickymartin » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:29 pm

Did you get your leak sorted? Mines in on Thursday, so fingers crossed they can fix it
2020 R-Line Tech 2.0 TDI 150 DSG - Vienna Leather - Indium Grey

------------
2017 Volkswagen Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TDI 150 4Motion DSG - Keyless Entry - Westfalia Detachable Tow Bar - Indium Grey

Paulinderby

Post by Paulinderby » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:07 pm

Would love to here from any of the other leaking sunroof people who’s car have been fixed mine had same problem that got into electrics caused fault codes on dash said it was blocked drainage pipe and wasn’t covered by warranty

rgrc29

Post by rgrc29 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:46 pm

Equally, is this leak only affecting cars with a sunroof?

Henry11

Post by Henry11 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:25 am

Think it easy for dealers to blame blocked drainage. Being a bit cynical, I wonder if there is a problem with some roofs, as my rejected car had, with the sunroof frame. My leak was identical to pictures shown on here, and the sunroof frame had broken and needed to be replaced. The car was only a few months old, and certainly not caused by blocked drains. Are they trying to get out of warranty claims?
1.5 tsi evo DSG Match 150 ps. Crimson red, debadged, Kingston alloys, ergo seats and electric boot

iggy

Post by iggy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:28 pm

nickymartin wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:29 pm
Did you get your leak sorted? Mines in on Thursday, so fingers crossed they can fix it
yes, apologies for not updating the thread

It went in last week and the dealer reckoned they had found a blockage in one of the panoramic roof drains

fingers crossed they've sorted it

Tubemonster

Post by Tubemonster » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:50 pm

If I never open the sunroof (bald head 🙄) is the drainpipe likely to ever get blocked?
Tiguan SWB R-Line Tech 2.0 TDI 4Motion 190PS 7 Speed DSG - Tow bar
Ordered 11/08/18 ///Build date 21/01/19///In Transit 19/01/19 (early)///Arrived in UK 24/01/19
Collected 16/2/19 🎉

JK-VWTiguanR

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:05 pm

Is this issue only with earlier models, does anyone with a 2019 build with the new AID screen have this issue?
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.

Match19

Post by Match19 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:40 am

I had this issue back in the 80s with a sun roof and is the reason I never spec them! You would think it wouldn't be a problem today in the 21st century!
Hope everyone gets it sorted ok.

hantshog

Post by hantshog » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:19 am

I think the drain tubes that thread there way down the roof pillar supports and discharge out of harms way are the problem.
The ends of the drain tubes are a bit like the shape of a blown up balloon when you pull the mouth piece together and let the air out to make a fart sound (wow that simile was drawn from childhood memories :D ) ...end of a fart cushion...you get what I mean. This traps any debris and eventually blocks it entirely, backing up into the roof lining.

The old Audi a4 had terrible plenum chamber problems where water got trapped and ruined the brake servo.....the same drains design (allowing water away from the chamber) had flattened ends which got blocked. Audi took ages to sort the problem and in the end, they just cut the ends of the drain tubes off to get rid of the flattened end.

The reasons for having the flattened ends was supposedly to stop road spray travelling back up the drain tubes into the car.

So I guess the remedy is to find the end of each sunroof drain and make sure the ends aren't like a fart cushion.... ;)

VW service book, when in for service, also states to clear the sunroof drains to make sure they're clear. I guess with compressed air from underneath when up on ramps.
Indium Grey, 190 R line

iggy

Post by iggy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:27 pm

bit of an update ........

Had this leak problem again a few times and the car as been back twice but the dealer hasn't been able to locate the leak.

Last week I took it in again and thankfully due to the torrential rain we've had they found the leak, it's been traced to the panoramic roof seal, not the seal where the glass sits, but the seal where the pano roof units sits in the car roof, this has been changed (big job apparently ) and the roof water tested.

hopefully this is the end of this problem

Just thought I'd share