Water leak near bonnet release lever

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
ExAudiSi

Re: Water leak near bonnet release lever

Post by ExAudiSi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Tubemonster wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:50 pm
If I never open the sunroof (bald head 🙄) is the drainpipe likely to ever get blocked?
Yes, as the outer seal on the sunroof is not meant to be watertight. Water and fine dirt can still get into the drain tubes and block them over time.
67 Plate, Pure White Tiguan 2.0TDI 4 Motion manual, electric tailgate, Miramar Grey 20" alloys and sports suspension.

Tammma

Post by Tammma » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi

For anyone following the FB Tig forums over the last few days a few helpful guys have posted detailed how to's on removing the so called 'spider trap' rubber plugs on the end of the panroof drainage tubes. interestingly my front ones had already been either removed by the previous owner or by VW during a service or previous flood perhaps.

I removed the rears and found the driver side one filled with gunk and moisture. The Tig lives under cover and the last moisture it saw was when I had taken it out for a wash a full 10 days earlier.

I would highly recommend removing these to prevent any pan roof blockage problems in future....

20200906_171656.jpg

20200906_171813.jpg

hteepee

Post by hteepee » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:58 pm

Yes those flaps are most likely the culpris and where the build up of debris and subsequent water ingress into the car originates. I posted the remedy of removing them a while back, but to date I have not fathomed how to remove the OSR flap which is above the Adblue tank (190 ps TDI). The chap at MOT last week while car was on ramps said he could feel the end of the tube but couldn't grip the flap. So far removing the other three is working.
R-Line 190 4Motion DSG White. Swivel Towbar Running Boards.

thejanners

Post by thejanners » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:19 pm

Could anyone advise where the front ones are located?

Could see anything from underneath, so are they located under the front screen similar to the MK 4 Golf?
Tungsten Silver R-Line Tech, DSG, Petrol 230 BHP, Mudflaps, Towbar. :D

Breezer

Post by Breezer » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:59 pm

There's a video on a Facebook group "Tiguan Owners UK" showing the locations. I tried to include a link but it's a closed group.

I removed all 4 off mine today.

Worth noting - there's two clips that hold the front scuttle in position. If you've got skinny arms, you can reach in without removing them. If, however, you have forearms like Popeye (like me), best to remove them first because they will ping off under pressure and could get lost. If you have an AdBlue tank, the rear offside one is obscured. I'm not sure if it can be reached.
SEL 2.0 TSI 4WD DSG
Ruby Red+Area View with Park Assist +DCC +Electric Tailgate & Keyless Entry +Heated Windscreen +Wireless Charging +Tyre Monitor +Leather Seats
Ord: 20/02/17 | Built: 03/04/17 | Landed: 21/04/17 | Rec: 02/05/17

thejanners

Post by thejanners » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:02 pm

Breezer wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:59 pm
There's a video on a Facebook group "Tiguan Owners UK" showing the locations. I tried to include a link but it's a closed group.

I removed all 4 off mine today.

Worth noting - there's two clips that hold the front scuttle in position. If you've got skinny arms, you can reach in without removing them. If, however, you have forearms like Popeye (like me), best to remove them first because they will ping off under pressure and could get lost. If you have an AdBlue tank, the rear offside one is obscured. I'm not sure if it can be reached.
Cheers Breezer, my 2 rears ones came off easy as it is a petrol model
Obviously the fronts may be a bit harder as I have popeye arms as well being mechanical
Tungsten Silver R-Line Tech, DSG, Petrol 230 BHP, Mudflaps, Towbar. :D

Tammma

Post by Tammma » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:04 am

Interesting, I didn't even notice the clips. There was a foam insert holding the weather shield down to the chassis. I jiggled that out of the way and just stuck my arm in.

Fyi the drain pipe is really far in, behind the wiper arm. I ended up with scratches from my bicep down from the plastic leaf/weather guard...

But it was wasted effort. They had already been removed as many others in the group had reported. I made sure the drainage area was dry and free of dirt and left it.

There's was a theory that the fronts are now being removed at a service or are meant to be removed at PDIs...

John27

Post by John27 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:29 am

I know a number of members have mentioned that the drain pipes on the sunroof block but one of the other problems is the pipes get kinked during assembly and so any water flow is restricted or non-existent. My previous Mk2 Tig was leaking in both front footwells and needed both front drains replaced as they were kinked. However, 8 months later, the leak returned on the passenger side and that pipe was found to be kinked again. Total repairs, under warranty, in the region of £3k. Not great.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TSI 230 4Motion DSG - White with Vienna Leather, Head-up Display, TPMS, Side Scan & Voice Activation

Tammma

Post by Tammma » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:35 am

Kinky pipes...there you go. Didn't even know they were replaceable.

John27 hope the car is OK after that ordeal!

John27

Post by John27 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:57 am

The car was fine afterwards (as far as I know) but I sold it shortly after the second fix and bought another Tig. This one also has a sunroof - fingers crossed.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TSI 230 4Motion DSG - White with Vienna Leather, Head-up Display, TPMS, Side Scan & Voice Activation