4WD or 2WD

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
hazibo12

4WD or 2WD

Post by hazibo12 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:53 am

Hi there,

Look time lurker here.

We are looking at a used R-line and originally we were going to go for 4WD, the car will be used for urban and some motorway driving so I figured perhaps 2WD will be better for combined rather then the 4WD. We currently have a Golf TDI (2010) and need to upgrade to a larger car with two children.

For looks I love the R-line but for price the SEL is quite appealing - I haven't test drove either yet.

As owners, what are your thoughts on 4WD/2WD. R-line or SEL?

Thanks
J

JBS2472

Re: 4WD or 2WD

Post by JBS2472 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:06 am

Hi, I have recently upgraded from the SEL to an R Line Tech and absolutely love the car.

However if cost is an issue there is nothing wrong with the SEL and ticks all the boxes for me as a great family car when I changed from my Audi A3, and there is enough tech in the car along with the LED lights, sunroof etc to make it feel a special vehicle.

As for 4wd/2wd and having owned various Audi’s and driven Quattros etc I have never felt the need for 4wd but some others swear by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SEL Indium Grey 2.0Tdi 150 DSG

F2paul

Post by F2paul » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:16 am

I have arthritis and a back problem that meant a 67 plate Leon left me in agony after more than an hour of driving. My dealer let me have extended drives of the SEL and R Line and although the R Line was better than the Seat , the SEL has proved a more comfortable choice . I have been driving 400 miles plus with no issues . 4 v 2 wheel drive. Well the Seat and Mondeo sport I had were pretty damn good handling cars plus various ST Fords my sons have but having been in situations where I needed to push on over country roads in wet conditions I am impressed by the Tiguans system and have made for more secure passage than colleagues in BMWs 3 and 5 along the same roads. I have used the car in snow and to traverse muddy fields and the car made it effortless.
2.0.BTDi TDi tuning , DSG , SEL 4 motion Indium Grey. Collected 31.1.18

JaiCee

Post by JaiCee » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:20 am

hazibo12 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:53 am
Hi there,

Look time lurker here.

We are looking at a used R-line and originally we were going to go for 4WD, the car will be used for urban and some motorway driving so I figured perhaps 2WD will be better for combined rather then the 4WD. We currently have a Golf TDI (2010) and need to upgrade to a larger car with two children.

For looks I love the R-line but for price the SEL is quite appealing - I haven't test drove either yet.

As owners, what are your thoughts on 4WD/2WD. R-line or SEL?

Thanks
J
We specifically avoided 4WD on our Allspace (which I would completely recommend for kids - the boot is so big). We live in a flat city and are unlikely to get snowed in. We are likely to get winter tyres though as in the wet, snow and ice they make a 2WD more capable than a 4WD on summer tyres.

Richy

Post by Richy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:49 am

Hi all. I'm about to pick up a 2WD Tiguan. I live in Scotland and can get quite a bit of snow and ice, but with winter tyres on I've always made it home (so far....). Winter tyres on a 2WD car are much, much better than a 4WD on summers. So unless you are planning on towing or regular going offroad, or onto slippery conditions like fields then a 2WD car will be fine. I'm going from an A3 as i want something higher up, and with better ground clearance (last years blowing snow was a bit too much fun in the Audi). The R-line seemed pretty comfy to drive in, ride seemed good, so i opted for that one. Can't wait to pick it up...
Tiguan R-Line Tech 1.5 EVO DSG - Indium Grey.

hazibo12

Post by hazibo12 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:07 am

Thanks for the replies so far, great information, I think general consensus is 2WD.

We live in a cul-de-sac down a very slight slope so come snow, its a little treachurous but generally its gritted so for the sake of 2 days its not worth 4WD and will get winter tyres as suggested.

I think if our budget stretched to an Allspace this would be on our list, but even used prices it's just a bit over our budget.

I have my heart set on the R-line but I think if an SEL came up with lots of "optional extras" fitted I could sway and upgrade to R-line in another few years time.

Thanks again!

milligan

Post by milligan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:30 am

If you have a good search through this forum I think the general consensus on ride comfort falls to the SEL as the RLine has a stiffer suspension and 20" wheels. So if comfort is a factor then the SEL is a better choice. Also, I noted when I got my SEL that there was little, if any, difference in the Tech package between an RLine and the SEL.
Tiguan SEL 2.0 TDI 4M 190PS DSG, Tungsten Silver, TPMS
Ordered 11/6/2018
handover 11/01/19 :D :D Only 214 days!! Old AID fitted :roll:

hazibo12

Post by hazibo12 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:36 am

milligan wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:30 am
If you have a good search through this forum I think the general consensus on ride comfort falls to the SEL as the RLine has a stiffer suspension and 20" wheels. So if comfort is a factor then the SEL is a better choice. Also, I noted when I got my SEL that there was little, if any, difference in the Tech package between an RLine and the SEL.
Thanks that great, I have had a little search through. I will definitely need to test drive both to test comfort etc . When looking in the showroom the sale assistant did advise the spec closet was the SEL as they didn't have the R-line on show.

I don't suppose you happen to know about the "front assist'? I have heard that at times it can stop you from pulling out in gaps which would be safe to do so but the car feels unsafe to do so won't allow it.

I have so many questions as I want to be 100% sure, and I thought best to ask those who have one!

Henry11

Post by Henry11 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:44 am

Had 4wd for years, 5 yrs in the Tiguan , this is my first 2wd and not an issue at all. If weather was that bad I wouldn’t go out! Handling still impressive and less components to go wrong!
1.5 tsi evo DSG Match 150 ps. Crimson red, debadged, Kingston alloys, ergo seats and electric boot

mrew42

Post by mrew42 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:07 pm

@hazibo12
Front assist won't stop you pulling out in traffic. That one's completely on you :)
Here's some info
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology ... ont-assist
1.4TSI BMT 150 4Motion SE NAV DSG - Indium Grey
2 Year lease through Hub Leasing - Ordered 13/02/18 - Delivered 09/03/18

Return to “Main Volkswagen Tiguan chat”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.