4WD or 2WD

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
PokeItWithAStick

Re: 4WD or 2WD

Post by PokeItWithAStick » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Some would disagree, but 4WD offers no cornering or braking advantages over a 2WD, so I'm deeply sceptical of most 4WD drive cars - unless you need to drive across wintry fields, the Himalayas etc. They're heavier and thirstier

Get 2WD and good all-weather tyres. The Michelin Cross Climates are summer tyres with additional winter rating and are excellent.
Tiguan Allspace 1.5 TSI DSG SEL 2WD. Black, grey leather seating, Dynaudio.

SkyJawa

Post by SkyJawa » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:25 pm

braking advantage not really, but cornering absolutely does. Depends on the context.
2019 Tiguan SEL 2.0 TSI 230
30/05- ordered, 06/06 - with factory, 08/06 - confirmed - week 27, 05/07 - left factory, 05/07 - in transit - 5a
09/07 - shipping - 5b, 13/07 - near UK - 5c, 16/07 - in UK - 6, 19/07 - arrived - 7, 25/07 - collection!

CNC

Post by CNC » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm

SkyJawa wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:25 pm
braking advantage not really, but cornering absolutely does. Depends on the context.
Cornering https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/anyth ... eral-drive
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

Still Game

Post by Still Game » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:41 pm

I've just came from 2 quattros Q5 then RSQ3 to a 2wd Tiguan R Line tech and I can definitely notice the difference in cornering, acceleration ( torque steer ) and overall handling

Everyone has their opinions, budgets and reasons for car choice

But if your budget allowed it then I'd go for the 4wd every time, never mind this talk of going through muddy fields or up dirt tracks or towing tonnes through snow and ice

A simple example of everyday driving is if you drive round your local roundabout at 30 mph in both variants there is a noticable difference in the overall grip and drive of the car, add a little rain to make the surface greasy and its even more so, again add a little more speed and again its noticeable

It doesn't make the 2wd bad by any means, but there's no point pretending there isn't a difference! , it just makes the 4wd a bit better and you feel more stable and confident that the car is going to end up in the direction you want it to

Never got wheel spin or torque steer in my quattros but again these are things you'll need to get used to in the 2wd, not the end of the world but def worth mentioning, you'll notice it if your stationary on a hill or St the lights/roundabout etc and want to pull away quickly

As for the mpg, it's meant to be around 10mpg better off being in the 2wd variant, but I've never bought a car based on its mpg tbh, there are much better economical cars out there if mpg is your main focus and I don't think 8 or 10mpg is anything to worry about compared to having a car that feels more planted to the ground beneath me

I'd rather drive a car that felt like it has a real firm and planted grip of the road for everyday general driving, especially in the wet and it's wet here a helluva lot! So after having the 2wd for 5 weeks or so, I'm still struggling to adapt to these things I've mentioned coming from those 4wds I'd had previously

If you are coming from a 2wd then you are not going to miss anything, but if you are coming from a 4wd system like me then I feel these differences are big enough to mention you know?

Anyways good luck with your decision 👍🏻

CNC

Post by CNC » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:07 am

Still Game wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:41 pm
A simple example of everyday driving is if you drive round your local roundabout at 30 mph in both variants there is a noticable difference in the overall grip and drive of the car, add a little rain to make the surface greasy and its even more so, again add a little more speed and again its noticeable

It doesn't make the 2wd bad by any means, but there's no point pretending there isn't a difference! , it just makes the 4wd a bit better and you feel more stable and confident that the car is going to end up in the direction you want it to
AWD, 4wd, 4motion, Quattro or whatever you have does not provide more 'grip'. Grip is provided only by the tyres you have, a 2wd and 4wd with the same tyres have the same grip.

What AWD/4wd provides is traction, not grip, so it might drive differently but you have no more grip and if push your luck too far it won't end well.

Many people make this mistake believing they have more grip which gives them more confidence, myself included when I had a Discovery a few years ago. Luckily both myself and the Discovery were fine but it could have ended very differently.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

xtrailman

Post by xtrailman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:12 am

What still game said. Plus you do get more braking , engine braking.
2019 SEL 190ps diesel.

SkyJawa

Post by SkyJawa » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:26 am

CNC wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm
SkyJawa wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:25 pm
Cornering https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/anyth ... eral-drive
Which talks about once on the move. I simply responded to the comment there is no cornering benefit.

I can assure you that when I am at a standstill and need to take a right angle corner onto a busy road while applying plenty of throttle that 4wd beats 2wd any day, even more so when it’s wet. As I said it’s all about the context.

Also if there is no benefit why have all top class rally cars been 4wd since the Quattro! ;) must do something or they would be 2wd.
2019 Tiguan SEL 2.0 TSI 230
30/05- ordered, 06/06 - with factory, 08/06 - confirmed - week 27, 05/07 - left factory, 05/07 - in transit - 5a
09/07 - shipping - 5b, 13/07 - near UK - 5c, 16/07 - in UK - 6, 19/07 - arrived - 7, 25/07 - collection!

hazibo12

Post by hazibo12 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:40 am

Thanks again for all replies.

We've decided on R-line purely for looks, still unsure on 2WD/4WD. Never owned a 4WD so I have no first hand experience I can compare to or miss.

All the information has been great and will def take into consideration. We are just waiting or the perfect one to pop up now :D

Still Game

Post by Still Game » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:50 am

Grip/traction

Shite/jobby its the same thing in the context we are all talking about here

Let's not get too technical before we start pulling out diplomas and my best friend is... 🙄

R line tech is by far the nicest looking out of the tiguan range in my eye so you've made a fine choice

And if you've never had a 4wd then you'll never miss anything by sticking to 2wd so you can't lose

But if u have then you'll know there is def a difference

Wolfsburger

Post by Wolfsburger » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:05 am

2 v 4 WD is essentially a budget issue. IMHO...
If you can afford it get 4WD. Every time.

Arguably it's even "safer".

But of course, nowadays, there's also your carbon foot print to think of...
But a bit like mpg/economy issues, if that's of any REAL concern, maybe you should be in a 10 year old Fiesta or even a Nissan Leaf, rather than hauling the kids about town in a largish new SUV?

Luckily we are all free to choose...at least for now!?!
SE Nav, DSG, 4 Motion, Diesel 150, keyless with electric tailgate, after market towbar (Whitter)

Return to “Main Volkswagen Tiguan chat”

VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Our VW Tiguan MK2 Forums are free to join and open to all.