All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Wolfsburger

Re: 4WD or 2WD

Post by Wolfsburger » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:34 am

JaiCee wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:48 am
As far as safety goes appropriate tyres are far more important than 4wd
[/quote]

4x4 is also available with "appropriate tyres"!
Nett result must therefore be even better?
...go on, admit it? :D

I would also submit that most real "premium" SUVs (which my Tig is not, imo) such as Range Rover/Porsche even dare I say VAGs Audi are predominantly 4x4. Why is this? Sureky they could just fit appropriate tyres? :?
Its only the cheaper wannabees that have 2wd options. T Cross anyone?

My 4x4 very rarely sees snow or ice, but does see a lot of wet, muddy lanes and the occasional field, towing a trailer...

Luckily, it's still a free world/personal choice...but maybe not for much longer?
Tig 1. 2017. SE Nav, DSG, 4 Motion, Diesel 150, keyless with electric tailgate, after market towbar (Whitter)
Tig 2. 2020. As above, but "Match" trim.
Both leased.

JaiCee

Post by JaiCee » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:55 am

Wolfsburger wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:34 am
4x4 is also available with "appropriate tyres"!
Nett result must therefore be even better?
...go on, admit it? :D
This is definitely the best combo for safety but realistically I think it is overkill if you are driving in urban/motorway routes predominantly. If I lived in the countryside or was still in Scotland at the top of a hill I would be evaluating 4WD as being more necessary in such a heavy car.

As to why premium SUVs are 4WD I am sure it is mostly down to style preferences and the market. Look at the adverts they are being advertised as do it all adventure machines and are selling the aspiration that even though you might spend 95% of your time on the motorway or doing the school run if you really wanted to you could take your car off road green laning and fording rivers. Also do Land Rover even sell a car that isn't 4WD it is pretty much their brand selling point. Then once you are say Audi competing with cars like this you pretty much have to include it.

The real question I would say is if 4WD is so great for safety why do all cars not have it?

Matchbox

Post by Matchbox » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:28 am

The biggest problem in adverse/slippery conditions is going downhill. 4WD is of little or no help. Good or winter tyres make all the difference.
Ordered 3rd March. Build week 13 - 27/03/17. Delivered 26/04/17 (dealer pre-order)
2.0 l SEL TSi DSG 4motion. Keyless, park assist, electric tailgate. Atlantic blue.

PokeItWithAStick

Post by PokeItWithAStick » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 am

SkyJawa wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:26 am
CNC wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm
SkyJawa wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:25 pm
braking advantage not really, but cornering absolutely does. Depends on the context.
Cornering https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/anyth ... eral-drive
Which talks about once on the move. I simply responded to the comment there is no cornering benefit.
ven more so when it’s wet. As I said it’s all about the context.

Also if there is no benefit why have all top class rally cars been 4wd since the Quattro! ;) must do something or they would be 2wd.
I think we can exclude rallying from this discussion. A 4WD rally car on a dirt track corners by different method to a normal 4WD car on tarmac. The former corners by setting up a slide, the point of which is to direct as best as possible the 4 spinning wheels towards centre of the "turning circle". These spinning tyres provide the necessary centripetal force

A normal 4WD car however, just like a 2WD derives it's centripetal force from the friction interaction between tyre and tarmac, whether the tyre is under power or not. A wheel does not need to provide power to corner.
Tiguan Allspace 1.5 TSI DSG SEL 2WD. Black, grey leather seating, Dynaudio.

xtrailman

Post by xtrailman » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:46 am

CNC wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:19 pm
xtrailman wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:45 pm
For those that don't think awd has no cornering benefits have a look at the Bmw xdrive videos, or the Mazda torque hectoring videos.
I don't think Mazda have torque vectoring, Mazda point out themselves on their own website they have G-Vectoring (or GVC) which is different to torque vectoring, or so they say https://www.mazda-romford.co.uk/news/in ... ol-system/
My point was it improves cornering.
2019 SEL 190ps diesel.

SkyJawa

Post by SkyJawa » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:59 am

PokeItWithAStick wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 am
SkyJawa wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:26 am
CNC wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm

Cornering https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/anyth ... eral-drive
Which talks about once on the move. I simply responded to the comment there is no cornering benefit.
ven more so when it’s wet. As I said it’s all about the context.

Also if there is no benefit why have all top class rally cars been 4wd since the Quattro! ;) must do something or they would be 2wd.
I think we can exclude rallying from this discussion. A 4WD rally car on a dirt track corners by different method to a normal 4WD car on tarmac. The former corners by setting up a slide, the point of which is to direct as best as possible the 4 spinning wheels towards centre of the "turning circle". These spinning tyres provide the necessary centripetal force

A normal 4WD car however, just like a 2WD derives it's centripetal force from the friction interaction between tyre and tarmac, whether the tyre is under power or not. A wheel does not need to provide power to corner.
There are tarmac stages too.

This is a pointless discussion as I've always seen whenever its posted on whatever forum, exactly the same arguments every time. I have had many 2wd (fwd and rwd) and 4wd cars over the years and know the characteristics that each give me. Lets just leave it there and let us all decide ourselves which we prefer.

Neither is better then the other, but to our own requirements we will lean to one or the other which is better "for us". Simple answer is try for yourself and decide.

And I'm out....
2019 Tiguan SEL 2.0 TSI 230
30/05- ordered, 06/06 - with factory, 08/06 - confirmed - week 27, 05/07 - left factory, 05/07 - in transit - 5a
09/07 - shipping - 5b, 13/07 - near UK - 5c, 16/07 - in UK - 6, 19/07 - arrived - 7, 25/07 - collection!

Keithp

Post by Keithp » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:25 am

Why keep going on about the tyres. At the end of the day if both cars have the same tyres, not matter what type the 4WD is going to give better traction and have less wheel spin, and if you are happy to pay the extra for 4WD (or don't have the option depending on model) and don't mind sticking a little more fuel in then happy days. if not have the 2WD and know it wont have quite as much traction, simple.
Indium Grey R-line Tech 230

PokeItWithAStick

Post by PokeItWithAStick » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:39 am

Going back to the rally car argument, it should also be noted that F1 cars are 2WD
Tiguan Allspace 1.5 TSI DSG SEL 2WD. Black, grey leather seating, Dynaudio.

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:34 pm

PokeItWithAStick wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:39 am
Going back to the rally car argument, it should also be noted that F1 cars are 2WD
In that case, maybe all Tiguan’s should be 2wd (rwd) with 20” wide tyres, 2” ground clearance, and only allowed on perfectly smooth roads in the dry! ;)
I’m beginning to think this argument has run its course!

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

xtrailman

Post by xtrailman » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:04 pm

PokeItWithAStick wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:39 am
And are useless in the wet, but entertaining watching the numerous spin offs.
And not great on gravel.
2019 SEL 190ps diesel.