Paint Repair

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Papalazarou

Paint Repair

Post by Papalazarou » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:19 pm

Hi all,

I went to Longleat Zoo, skipping the Monkey enclosure, but a deer hoofed the driver side door of my car. It wasn't too bad but, there were swirl / surface scratches - not deep enough to feel anything to the touch.

So a local valeting friend of a friend came to clean the car, and tried to get the scratches out using S40 compound and an electric buffer.

Unfortunately he has overdone it on the handle - perhaps not realising how thin the paint was on it, or just a genuine mistake.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I live South East London. I could take it to VW garage, but they outsource their paint work anyway.

'Chips Away' have quoted £50 plus VAT, but I have no idea how good they are. "We would take the handle off the car to paint it so we can paint around the edges to save any future issues with they paints key. We would mix the paint to the specific paint code of the car",
Last edited by Papalazarou on Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19-Plate 1.5 Tiguan R-Line TECH EVO: Indium Grey / Leather / NavPro & DynAudio / TPMS / Debadged
Lead time from March19 was 3 months. Collected June19.

Papalazarou

Re: Paint Repair

Post by Papalazarou » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:20 pm

53650159-115C-411C-8145-B0BB5212C762.jpeg

19-Plate 1.5 Tiguan R-Line TECH EVO: Indium Grey / Leather / NavPro & DynAudio / TPMS / Debadged

scrounger

Post by scrounger » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:44 pm

sounds about right for a paint job.

Personally I've found chips away to be pretty good. You could always try a bodyshop but you may well loose the car for a couple of days while they do it.

Failing that, ask your salesman who they use for SMART repairs and go to them.
Tiguan R-Line Tech 190 DSG 4Motion in White

NoHopeNoFear

Post by NoHopeNoFear » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:58 pm

Was the monkey enclosure good? We skipped it during our visit because the car was so new, and I am a bit protective of my paint

as for the sanding, Wow, that's a pretty bad mistake. Given he was just trying to take a tiny bit of clear coat off, the fact he managed to go through the clear coat and all of the paint down to the plastic is shocking, and shows a real lack of experience. I would be expecting him to pay for at least some of the repair here.

Personally I wouldn't be getting a national company like chips away to do it, they won't be employing the best people. I would get a recommendation from a local professional I trust (I asked my detailer for a recommendation to get a dent out). Or ask your dealer for a recommendation? The other option is to get the handle replaced, which might be a little more in parts/labour, but you will know it is perfect.

Personally I would just spring for a new handle and try to get some of the cost back from Handy Andy

Arrived: Tiguan SEL 2.0 Petrol DSG, Heated steering wheel, heated windscreen, wireless charger, keyless entry/tailgate, Tyre Monitor, Park Ass w/ camera, Sports Pedals

Papalazarou

Post by Papalazarou » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:58 pm

We skipped the monkey enclosure. That's why I was extra peeved. Did the right thing, and still managed to get the car damaged!!

We're not having a good run since getting the car in late June. We had a front left wheel recut due to my wife kerbing it, a smart repair on front bumper when someone reversed into her at traffic lights, A deer hoof swirl on the drivers side, and now a door handle!! :lol:

I have asked the VW garage, and will see that they say about just replacing the handle vs their quote to repair.

Point taken on chips away - I'll see a personal recommendation for a body shop.

Fastbuck

Post by Fastbuck » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:05 pm

I have used chipsaway on several vehicles with excellent results. It’s a franchise of self employed people. If they were crap they wouldn’t be in business long.
2019 Tiguan 2.0 TSI 4Motion 190 PSI DSG R Line Tech in white

JaiCee

Post by JaiCee » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:36 am

NoHopeNoFear wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:58 pm
Was the monkey enclosure good? We skipped it during our visit because the car was so new, and I am a bit protective of my paint
It is quite good but you almost certainly will end up with a monkey on your car. Possibly several. There are hundreds in the enclosure and they are quite happy to come right up to the cars.

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:50 am

I’m afraid I have no desire to allow my precious Tiguan to become a primates plaything, or indeed any other of nature’s wild creatures, so driving around a safari park is never going to happen!.

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

Pinky1959

Post by Pinky1959 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:03 pm

if they still do it you can go round Longleat in their land rovers and get into all areas and the Monkeys are hilarious pulling bits off cars , wipers , rubbers from roofs etc etc and hanging from rear wipers on 4 x 4 vehicles.
Andy who looked after the Giraffes did our tour(Don't think he is there any more ) as the other guy was off sick , we had a Giraffe stick it's head in the window , we were right next to Lions while the cars were 15 m away and we could touch a rhino while in its pen .
A totally fantastic tour was had and we enjoyed it so much we went on a Safari the next year which was brilliant as well.
I would just get a new handle if it comes painted .

Papalazarou

Post by Papalazarou » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:59 am

The new handle route I have been quoted as £153.88 inc VAT.

Smart repair from VW is £60 too. So although it's outsourced, I'd rather go through them than my local Chips Away franchise as I've never used them, and if something goes wrong I'd rather be chasing VW.....