How is your DSG gearbox performing?

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Ekhangel

How is your DSG gearbox performing?

Post by Ekhangel » Fri May 01, 2020 12:54 pm

With my 1.5 TSi engine I find the gearbox operation a little underwhelming, to be honest. One time it will shift super smooth, other times some minor clunking and jerking can be heard/felt when downshifting. Also, when accelerating I sometimes feel the car going forward with very small but noticeable stutter. Again, all those symptoms are intermittent. The car is 1 y/o with 11k km mileage.

Coming from Audi A6C6 with Tiptronic it's a little disappointing TBH, but driveable so far. Hopefully these are not the first signs of a future failure though.
'19 Tiguan Allspace 1.5 TSI; apologise for non-native language flaws

JK-VWTiguanR

Re: How is your DSG gearbox performing?

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Fri May 01, 2020 12:56 pm

Must admit in the 230 version I have none of the issues you mention.

Maybe its the 1.5 TSI engine that does this?
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.

TIGeRLine

Post by TIGeRLine » Fri May 01, 2020 2:00 pm

I am currently looking for a T6 Transporter to get converted into a camper van and have therefore joined the T6 forum.
There is a very well respected trade member on there who can do a DSG remap which apparently transforms the way the gearbox works.
I don’t know how much he charges, and I have no affiliation with them but I’ll put the link up for anyone that may be interested.
When I find my Transporter I will most likely pay them a visit myself.

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/bmvs-tv ... ler.17456/
2018 R-Line 240 Bi-TDI 4Motion.
Discover Nav Pro.
KESSY.
Electric Tailgate.
Area View.
8 Speakers.
Exterior Badge Delete.
Pure White.

CNC

Post by CNC » Fri May 01, 2020 2:13 pm

It seems as far as the DSG goes you either get a really good one or you don't. I have a different model DSG to you (DQ500) and mine has never been anywhere near as smooth as the DSG in the wifes car (DQ200). The wife's car is so smooth and silky, and mine just isn't. Mine's not bad, just not as smooth as others I have had previously or tried. While working away earlier this year I hired a 2.0 TDI DSG Octavia and that was great, way better than mine, although I think the gearbox was a DQ380?, so different again.
I suspect if you mention it to your dealer they will say it's fine, some are just like that and it seems that's how both yours and mine are.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Fri May 01, 2020 2:23 pm

CNC wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:13 pm
It seems as far as the DSG goes you either get a really good one or you don't. I have a different model DSG to you (DQ500) and mine has never been anywhere near as smooth as the DSG in the wifes car (DQ200). The wife's car is so smooth and silky, and mine just isn't. Mine's not bad, just not as smooth as others I have had previously or tried. While working away earlier this year I hired a 2.0 TDI DSG Octavia and that was great, way better than mine, although I think the gearbox was a DQ380?, so different again.
I suspect if you mention it to your dealer they will say it's fine, some are just like that and it seems that's how both yours and mine are.

CNC, I have the same DQ500 in my 2.0l TSi, and it really is smooth, never known it to be jerky at all. Do you think that there may be any difference mating it with a diesel rather than petrol?, although I wouldn’t have thought that should make any difference.

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

archie159

Post by archie159 » Fri May 01, 2020 3:24 pm

Mine is good - as good as any I have had (and having lived till recently for many years in countries where all cars are autos, without exception, I've probably driven versions from just about every main manufacturer there is!).
2017 Tiguan 2.0 TDI 150hp auto (second hand)

CNC

Post by CNC » Fri May 01, 2020 3:49 pm

Essjay wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:23 pm
CNC wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:13 pm

CNC, I have the same DQ500 in my 2.0l TSi, and it really is smooth, never known it to be jerky at all. Do you think that there may be any difference mating it with a diesel rather than petrol?, although I wouldn’t have thought that should make any difference.

Steve
I wouldn't describe it as jerky, just not as smooth as other DSG cars I've driven, there's obviously an underlying reason somewhere as to why it's not as smooth as it could be, perhaps in the tolerance of the DSG components, maybe how accurately it's been calibrated etc, but from my own experiences and what I've read on this and other forums some are smoother than others.
Mine's not bad by any means, just not as silky as others I've driven, and if I hadn't driven any other DSG's I say it's fine. I have also had the slight noise others have mentioned, at slow speed in 2nd & 3 rd gears, but you really have to listen very carefully with the radio off and concentrate to hear it. It has displayed these 'annoyances' since new and now with 84k on the clock its exactly the same - at least it hasn't got worse.
It's had two DSG oil changes and I always get the garage to do a factory reset on the DSG mechatronics unit so it's up to date with the latest software.
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

Ekhangel

Post by Ekhangel » Fri May 01, 2020 6:21 pm

M'kay, so I'm not alone. I would have to drive another Tiguan to learn how my car actually compares to others. I did drive another 1.5 Highline when purchasing but it was a short test drive and I didn't focus that much on the transmission.

So how would the lucky folk here describe the shifting smoothness? Butter smooth? Like no shifting sensations noticeable whatsoever?

CNC

Post by CNC » Fri May 01, 2020 6:51 pm

Ekhangel wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:21 pm
So how would the lucky folk here describe the shifting smoothness? Butter smooth? Like no shifting sensations noticeable whatsoever?
My Tiguan with DQ500 = reasonably good, could be a little better 2nd-3rd.
Wife's Octavia with DQ200 = excellent, no sensation whatever the gear, speed or load.

The Tiguan 1.5 TSI DSG has the DQ381 so different again.

Ekhangel

Post by Ekhangel » Fri May 01, 2020 7:35 pm

Wow. I have yet to drive a car like your wife's Octavia.