How is your DSG gearbox performing?

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Ekhangel
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:19 pm

Re: How is your DSG gearbox performing?

Post by Ekhangel » Mon May 04, 2020 6:03 am

Have any of you experienced the car not responding when pressing the accelerator (very) lightly and then moving off abruptly? I read about this somewhere on the web as being one of the DSG's design flaws, perhaps a symptom of failure, but I'm not sure where this actually comes from. It is annoying though, even if it doesn't happen too often.
'19 Tiguan Allspace 1.5 TSI; apologise for non-native language flaws

windshear
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:34 am

Re: How is your DSG gearbox performing?

Post by windshear » Mon May 04, 2020 6:39 am

Maybe it is asked any other place but how do we know which version of DSG we have on the Tig?

I have the 2.0 TDI 190hp 4Motion and either it has DQ500 or DQ381-7A. But how to know for sure? In the service manual the gearbox is defined as D7A.

User avatar
mrew42
Posts: 1181
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:09 am
Location: Havering

Re: How is your DSG gearbox performing?

Post by mrew42 » Mon May 04, 2020 7:24 am

Ekhangel wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:03 am
Have any of you experienced the car not responding when pressing the accelerator (very) lightly and then moving off abruptly? I read about this somewhere on the web as being one of the DSG's design flaws, perhaps a symptom of failure, but I'm not sure where this actually comes from. It is annoying though, even if it doesn't happen too often.
Yes, on my 1.4Tsi I had previously. In traffic it could lead to very 'lumpy' progress. The DSG box sometimes seemed to pause, fogetting what it was doing before engaging gear to move off.
I had a bit of that with my new 2.0 TDi 150, but have since changed the throttle response to 'Direct' using Carista and the problem appears to have gone away, though I won't be absolutely certain until I can actually go for drive much further than the local shops!
Toby 1 - MY18 1.4TSI BMT 150 4Motion SE NAV DSG Indium Grey - 03/18-03/20 gone :(
Toby 2 - MY20 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG R Line Tech Pure White - 03/20-../..

xtrailman
Posts: 1064
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Re: How is your DSG gearbox performing?

Post by xtrailman » Mon May 04, 2020 9:34 am

windshear wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:39 am
Maybe it is asked any other place but how do we know which version of DSG we have on the Tig?

I have the 2.0 TDI 190hp 4Motion and either it has DQ500 or DQ381-7A. But how to know for sure? In the service manual the gearbox is defined as D7A.
I've only read of the DQ500 being fitted in the 190 diesel.

It performs well only giving the odd abrupt down change if i change from eco to sport with no throttle and a cold engine.

I used to get odd behaviour from a torque converter auto in a cx-5, so for me there is nothing to make one better than the other, I have no experience of other makes but have read the ZF TC types are the best, such as fitted the the BMW X3.
2019 SEL 190ps diesel.

Ekhangel
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:19 pm

Re: How is your DSG gearbox performing?

Post by Ekhangel » Thu May 21, 2020 6:21 pm

This is BS... The car definitely more often than it should moves off from standstill like it's an electric toy car, not a $50k machine. The whole family gets thrown back and I can't do much about it. Definitely going to push the local dealer to investigate this if things don't get better by some miracle. This volksvehicle is not having a good start with me.

Btw. funny how different experience people have:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... 6-DSG-jerk
'19 Tiguan Allspace 1.5 TSI; apologise for non-native language flaws

User avatar
Jeremy_SWE
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:24 am
Location: Sweden

Re: How is your DSG gearbox performing?

Post by Jeremy_SWE » Thu May 21, 2020 7:45 pm

Something certainly doesn’t seem right, hopefully you can get some help from the dealer.
I’ve owned three cars with DSG’S and never had an issue.

Btw, the posts in the link you added were from 2014. These will be referring to the mk 1 Tiguan.

Good luck with getting your issue sorted.
1.4tsi 150ps DSG6 4M
Pure white
19" Victoria
Ergo-active seats w.massage
Discover media NAVI
Sign assist
AID
Full keyless+electric tailgate
Tow pack w.camera
Aux-heater w.remote
Heated wheel
Dynaudio
Wireless charger
Side/rear scan
Amb.light pack

User avatar
Mr Tig
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:20 pm
Location: Bournemouth - UK

Re: How is your DSG gearbox performing?

Post by Mr Tig » Thu May 21, 2020 8:39 pm

Ekhangel wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:21 pm
This is BS... The car definitely more often than it should moves off from standstill like it's an electric toy car, not a $50k machine. The whole family gets thrown back and I can't do much about it. Definitely going to push the local dealer to investigate this if things don't get better by some miracle. This volksvehicle is not having a good start with me.

Btw. funny how different experience people have:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... 6-DSG-jerk
This certainly doesn’t sound right, when getting the dealer to investigate make sure you take one of the mechanics out and reproduce the fault

If you don’t I can see them saying “non fault found sir, it’s a characteristic of the car’’

Good Luck!
2020 Tiguan R Line Tech 2.0 DSG Diesel 150hp
Spec - Leather - Heated Seats All Round - Running Boards - Gloss Black Mirrors & Spoiler -Tints - Red Brake with Black Hubs & Decals
- Custom R-Line Mats - Pedal Box

Ekhangel
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:19 pm

Re: How is your DSG gearbox performing?

Post by Ekhangel » Fri May 22, 2020 8:47 am

Jeremy_SWE wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:45 pm
Btw, the posts in the link you added were from 2014. These will be referring to the mk 1 Tiguan.
Aye, but some of you folks here sound like you've never driven anything but DSGs and have never had a single jerk from it. Plus, how many differences could there be b/n a 2015 and 2019 DSG tranny? Sure, there might be some, but c'mon. I know, it's a technically different car and somewhat different engines, but the difference shouldn't be this vast.
'19 Tiguan Allspace 1.5 TSI; apologise for non-native language flaws

User avatar
Essjay
Posts: 2797
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:25 pm
Location: West Hertfordshire, UK

Re: How is your DSG gearbox performing?

Post by Essjay » Fri May 22, 2020 10:13 am

Ekhangel wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:47 am
Jeremy_SWE wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:45 pm
Btw, the posts in the link you added were from 2014. These will be referring to the mk 1 Tiguan.
Aye, but some of you folks here sound like you've never driven anything but DSGs and have never had a single jerk from it. Plus, how many differences could there be b/n a 2015 and 2019 DSG tranny? Sure, there might be some, but c'mon. I know, it's a technically different car and somewhat different engines, but the difference shouldn't be this vast.

Well for starters the 2015 DSG is 6 speed and the 2019 is 7 speed. But from what you’ve said, and the advice given so far, a trip to the dealer with a test drive to show them the problem is the route to go down next.

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

Tricky
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:55 pm
Location: Wales, just outside Llandeilo, UK

Re: How is your DSG gearbox performing?

Post by Tricky » Fri May 22, 2020 12:55 pm

Essjay wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:13 am
Well for starters the 2015 DSG is 6 speed and the 2019 is 7 speed. But from what you’ve said, and the advice given so far, a trip to the dealer with a test drive to show them the problem is the route to go down next.

Steve
Eh? My 2015 mk1 4mo is quite definitely a seven speed! Oh and it's the pre SCR engine with the RNS nav so not the transition model.

Post Reply