WiFi hotspots, Dongles and data question

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
User avatar
Newtig
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:48 pm
Location: Dorset

WiFi hotspots, Dongles and data question

Post by Newtig » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:41 pm

Hi all. Have read through the various questions and answers on the forum but really need someone with some patience to explain the wifi in the car :oops:
I'm not a complete "haven't got a clue bloke" but not far off. I have an iphone that is on pay as you go (who still uses that you ask) and rarely use my phone for anything other than making infrequent calls, hence the PAYG. I would like to be able to have Google Earth on my Discover system but think that this is no longer possible, unless you use your phone? Having PAYG, will this mount up horrendous charges as I'd like to have it on live and would it actually work?

I've read that a Dongle can be fitted and this would provide a hotspot in the car for my phone, meaning I could access Whatsapp & Google Earth via the Dongle? Am sure that a few will be reading this thinking, "what's he on about" but never having had wifi option in a car before, sounds like it might be good to have.

I didn't sign up for carnet as couldn't see the benefit to me. I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me an idiots guide to how would be the best and cheapest way to have wifi and will I be able to have what I'm looking for. I've done a load of OBDeleven changes so am not afraid of technology or computers but have no idea at all about dongles, widgets, wombats nor wifi in cars. If anyone is still awake after reading this, I would appreciate some help and advice please. Many thanks.
2020 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 litre TSI 230 ps DSG Pure White. Headlight washers, wind deflectors, door sill protectors plus a few OBDeleven tweaks

User avatar
thejanners
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:52 am
Location: South West Devon

Re: WiFi hotspots, Dongles and data question

Post by thejanners » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:55 pm

Most forum members are using a Huawei E8372 4G Dongle (or Wingle).
Some are fitting it in the boot with a 12 USB adator and cable.
This unit sends out a Wifi signal which is picked up by th head unit
You can get a Three PAYG sim card which allows 200mb free every month or a data sim of xx gb size which is valid for up to 2 years (belive a 24gb item is availble from Three for approx £45)

This link shows what members have done
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4928

If however you intend to use the item which may use more data, there is an issue as you would run out of allowance.
Plenty of members are here to help
Tungsten Silver R-Line Tech, DSG, Petrol 230 BHP, Mudflaps, Towbar. :D

User avatar
Newtig
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:48 pm
Location: Dorset

Re: WiFi hotspots, Dongles and data question

Post by Newtig » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:39 pm

Thanks the janners. Have almost got my head around it but need to do a bit more reading up. Thanks for your help.
2020 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 litre TSI 230 ps DSG Pure White. Headlight washers, wind deflectors, door sill protectors plus a few OBDeleven tweaks

Djhannan
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:37 pm

Re: WiFi hotspots, Dongles and data question

Post by Djhannan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:47 pm

Newtig wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:41 pm
Hi all. Have read through the various questions and answers on the forum but really need someone with some patience to explain the wifi in the car :oops:
I'm not a complete "haven't got a clue bloke" but not far off. I have an iphone that is on pay as you go (who still uses that you ask) and rarely use my phone for anything other than making infrequent calls, hence the PAYG. I would like to be able to have Google Earth on my Discover system but think that this is no longer possible, unless you use your phone? Having PAYG, will this mount up horrendous charges as I'd like to have it on live and would it actually work?

I've read that a Dongle can be fitted and this would provide a hotspot in the car for my phone, meaning I could access Whatsapp & Google Earth via the Dongle? Am sure that a few will be reading this thinking, "what's he on about" but never having had wifi option in a car before, sounds like it might be good to have.

I didn't sign up for carnet as couldn't see the benefit to me. I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me an idiots guide to how would be the best and cheapest way to have wifi and will I be able to have what I'm looking for. I've done a load of OBDeleven changes so am not afraid of technology or computers but have no idea at all about dongles, widgets, wombats nor wifi in cars. If anyone is still awake after reading this, I would appreciate some help and advice please. Many thanks.
Sorry if this is stupid, but as you have a 2020
Tig, you would get CarNet Security and Service free, can’t you retrospectively sign up with your dealer so the service can be activated to your car?
Current - ‘67 reg Tiguan R Line 2.0 TDI DSG, White, keyless start and electric tailgate
On Order - Tiguan R Line Tech 1.5 TSI DSG, Deep Black Pearl, Leather, Discover Pro, Side Scan, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Debadge

Russ123
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:45 pm

Re: WiFi hotspots, Dongles and data question

Post by Russ123 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:27 am

We have a 2020 . And you get car net guide and inform

mrsunnymatharu
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:31 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: WiFi hotspots, Dongles and data question

Post by mrsunnymatharu » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:52 am

This doesn't need to be over complicated. If you want to use Google Maps and Whatsapp in the car you just connect your phone and use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto but you will need a data connection. You just need an appropriate PAYG or Pay Monthly SIM in your phone with enough data. Simple.

If you think that's too simple, then by all means get a wongle and SIM. The free 3 SIM with the 200MB monthly allowance probably won't be enough and you will need to take out a separate SIM. So now you will have 2 SIMs.

The in car data connection for CarNet etc doesn't allow for you to use your own apps
2020 Tiguan 1.5TSI EVO 150PS R-Line Tech 2WD DSG. Indium Grey. Delivered June 20

User avatar
mrew42
Posts: 1639
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:09 am
Location: Havering

Re: WiFi hotspots, Dongles and data question

Post by mrew42 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:15 am

mrsunnymatharu wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:52 am
This doesn't need to be over complicated. If you want to use Google Maps and Whatsapp in the car you just connect your phone and use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto but you will need a data connection. You just need an appropriate PAYG or Pay Monthly SIM in your phone with enough data. Simple.

If you think that's too simple, then by all means get a wongle and SIM. The free 3 SIM with the 200MB monthly allowance probably won't be enough and you will need to take out a separate SIM. So now you will have 2 SIMs.

The in car data connection for CarNet etc doesn't allow for you to use your own apps
Just to mention, that the wongle sim combination gives you data to the head unit and 200Mb is plenty - not heard of anyone exceeding that.
This will give you traffic updates on the builtin map/nav and also point you to petrol stations - with prices - when you get low on fuel.

Plugging in your phone only gives you data for Phone apps displayed on the screen, not data to the head unit.

I have both and only use my phone if I want to use spotify or am going somewhere I am unfamiliar with as I prefer google maps, but for the majority of the time I just use the head unit as is, with a separate data connection (in the boot in a 12v USB socket)
2020 R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG in Pure White - Carista tweaks, Bumper Protector, Heko Wind Deflectors. Carshades, DTE pedal box

User avatar
mrew42
Posts: 1639
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:09 am
Location: Havering

Re: WiFi hotspots, Dongles and data question

Post by mrew42 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:16 am

Newtig wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:41 pm
Hi all. Have read through the various questions and answers on the forum but really need someone with some patience to explain the wifi in the car :oops:
I'm not a complete "haven't got a clue bloke" but not far off. I have an iphone that is on pay as you go (who still uses that you ask) and rarely use my phone for anything other than making infrequent calls, hence the PAYG. I would like to be able to have Google Earth on my Discover system but think that this is no longer possible, unless you use your phone? Having PAYG, will this mount up horrendous charges as I'd like to have it on live and would it actually work?

I've read that a Dongle can be fitted and this would provide a hotspot in the car for my phone, meaning I could access Whatsapp & Google Earth via the Dongle? Am sure that a few will be reading this thinking, "what's he on about" but never having had wifi option in a car before, sounds like it might be good to have.

I didn't sign up for carnet as couldn't see the benefit to me. I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me an idiots guide to how would be the best and cheapest way to have wifi and will I be able to have what I'm looking for. I've done a load of OBDeleven changes so am not afraid of technology or computers but have no idea at all about dongles, widgets, wombats nor wifi in cars. If anyone is still awake after reading this, I would appreciate some help and advice please. Many thanks.
Newtig, feel free to pm me if you want any detail
2020 R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG in Pure White - Carista tweaks, Bumper Protector, Heko Wind Deflectors. Carshades, DTE pedal box

User avatar
Newtig
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:48 pm
Location: Dorset

Re: WiFi hotspots, Dongles and data question

Post by Newtig » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:42 am

Many thanks to all for your replies. I didn't sign up for carnet as I had this "not too sure" feeling about it as it seemed to me that a bit too much info was being sent to VW, etc. Might be down to watching too many spy films but didn't fancy being tracked and traced every time I drove to Waitrose! I think the idea of the wingle dongle whatsit might be the way to go. Will take you up on your offer of sending you a PM mrew42 as try as Ii might, understanding this is not coming easily and don't want to end up with either something I don't need or something that only works every other month or when it's raining!
2020 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 litre TSI 230 ps DSG Pure White. Headlight washers, wind deflectors, door sill protectors plus a few OBDeleven tweaks

User avatar
mrew42
Posts: 1639
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:09 am
Location: Havering

Re: WiFi hotspots, Dongles and data question

Post by mrew42 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:01 am

Newtig wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:42 am
Many thanks to all for your replies. I didn't sign up for carnet as I had this "not too sure" feeling about it as it seemed to me that a bit too much info was being sent to VW, etc. Might be down to watching too many spy films but didn't fancy being tracked and traced every time I drove to Waitrose! I think the idea of the wingle dongle whatsit might be the way to go. Will take you up on your offer of sending you a PM mrew42 as try as Ii might, understanding this is not coming easily and don't want to end up with either something I don't need or something that only works every other month or when it's raining!
8-)
2020 R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG in Pure White - Carista tweaks, Bumper Protector, Heko Wind Deflectors. Carshades, DTE pedal box

Post Reply