3 child seats in 2nd row?

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Aledowen

3 child seats in 2nd row?

Post by Aledowen » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:19 pm

Hi all,

My partner and I are expecting sleep depriver #3 in October and so are looking at larger cars.

We’ve been impressed with the Tiguan Allspace, but can’t decide if the 2nd row can take 3 car seats. The oldest is 5 so only needs a booster, while terror 2 and 3 will be in seat belt fitted child seats.

I know it won’t fit 2 iso fix seats and a booster, but am eager to know if anyone else has 3 seats in the second row, and how comfy is it for the kids?

I hope it’snpossible, otherwise it’ll be the Sharan for us 😫. Any advice and photos greatly appreciated!

N15MGD

Re: 3 child seats in 2nd row?

Post by N15MGD » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:47 pm

Firstly congratulations

Although I’m not as far along as you I’m only expecting my first, ive been using the joie fit guide as I really like the idea of the i-Spin 360

Now don’t take this as gospel but it looks as I’ll be the bearer of bad news as for the Tiguan Allspace it says

806AC1F6-E368-479E-BEF7-188AAA8A840E.png

Where as for the Sharan it says

BA65AEF9-BB54-48FD-BC05-0884DD85EC61.png

Obviously other seats and manufacturers may support your request

Good luck
Factory R-Line 240 Atlantic Blue, Leather heated front & rear, Discover Nav Pro, Dynaudio, TPMS, Keyless entry & tailgate, Area view with park assist, Heads up display and Side scan.

Retrofit genuine running boards with mud flaps and sunblinds

Aledowen

Post by Aledowen » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:58 pm

Thanks! I’ve seen that guide, or something similar, but thought it was specifically to do with iso fix points, seeing as it states you can’t fit a child seat in the front passenger, while it is of course possible.
I’ve tried two iso fixes in the back and know you can’t put much in the centre, but was hoping someone on here has successfully fitted 3 x non isofix seats in there, as there is a bit of positional flexibility with them.
I’ve arranged a test drive in the next coming days and will take some seats with me to try out. It may be a case of me stuffing a square peg into a round hole though!

KBEE

Post by KBEE » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:39 pm

Much as I love my Tiguan, I’d recommend having a look at the Peugeot 5008 if you want three child seats across the middle row.

The seats are all individual “proper” seats so the children will have equal space (no one should feel hard done by if they get the unpopular “middle”). They all have ISOFIX points too.

Personally I think it’s nicer than the Sharan and other “people carrier“ cars.

Whatever you decide, congrats on number 3 and good luck!
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 1.5 Petrol DSG, Indium Grey

Aledowen

Post by Aledowen » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:48 pm

I did favour the 5008 originally, but our local mechanic told my mrs that they were unreliable and put her off it. Shame as it’s a nice looking car.. thanks tho.. I think i’m forcing a dead point with the Tiguan, but I had to look into it.. Many thanks!

ozone456

Post by ozone456 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:56 pm

See this vid though it refers to Australian Tiguan. I’m not sure if the specs match..

And here the review of the standard Tiguan
18/04/19: MY19 2.0 TSI 230 4Motion R-Line Tech DSG - White, Dynaudio, Emergency Assists , Headlight Washer, Tyre Pressure Monitor.

Aledowen

Post by Aledowen » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:05 pm

Thanks again. I’d seen her article, but not the video. It looks damn tight there doesn’t it! I was hoping an owner would come on here and tell me it was possible and easy - doesn’t look likely!

bunbury

Post by bunbury » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:10 pm

Last year I moved down from an S-MAX to Tiguan as we no longer need the 7 seats.
S-MAX was excellent for 3 kids and 5+2 seats.
The middle row are all full-size seats which makes a huge difference. They are leather/alcantara in the top spec, which independently slide (they slide like the Tiguan seats, but each of the three middle row seats can move or fold independently, and there is awesome room in the back for debris from 3 kids when the two rear seats are flat, as the car is 40cm longer than the standard Tiguan. There is also a proper flat rear floor area when you fold any of the rear 5 seats down so many rear seat options for journeys as they grow up.
Recommend a look for 3 kids as S-MAX takes rear middle row 3 car seats or boosters.

I almost regret losing my 11.5 year old SMAX 2.5T Titanium X - a local garage owner we know well bought it and is still running it for the extended family and I walk past it most days, but my Tiguan is great and I am a fan of the flexibility of the seat options in Tiguan too, now the kids have grown up and I don't need the extra seats.

There are options if you look out there..
I had a Sharan VR6 and then a Galaxy GhiaX v6 - same car with Ford badge - for over 10 years before the S-Max, and they were great at the time, but the S-MAX is a much nicer drive, so we are thinking similar thoughts.
2.0 TSI SEL DSG 4Motion Indium Grey, now 190PS
Options: Leather, DCC, Full Elec Tailgate, Keyless, Park Assist Rear Cam, TPMS, Voice Control, TowBar
Order:12Jul18. Left factory: 5th & collected 30th March 19 :D

JaiCee

Post by JaiCee » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:10 am

If it helps you can easily fit extra seats in the Allspace. Also a friend has just had twins so now has 4 in the back row of their Octavia which has a similar back row to the Tiguan using a multimac seat. If you're willing to change your seats it will fit.

CNC

Post by CNC » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:29 pm

Aledowen wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:48 pm
I did favour the 5008 originally, but our local mechanic told my mrs that they were unreliable and put her off it. Shame as it’s a nice looking car.. thanks tho.. I think i’m forcing a dead point with the Tiguan, but I had to look into it.. Many thanks!
According to the Driver Power 2020 survey Peugeot came well ahead of VW in the reliability stakes

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/172392/ ... power-2020
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged