Rear window problem

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Zobware

Rear window problem

Post by Zobware » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:40 pm

Has anyone experienced this

My daughter pressed the button to open the nearside rear window which worked and then she pulled it up once to close the window the window went two thirds up and then went all the way down to the bottom again. The only way to close it is to keep you finger lifting the button until it is all the way to the top. The offside does not do this?

Any thoughts?

Thanks Zob

Essjay

Re: Rear window problem

Post by Essjay » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:23 pm

Just a thought, but I wonder if it’s possible to pull on the switch too hard and dislodged a contact somewhere?

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

Zobware

Post by Zobware » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:31 pm

Essjay wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:23 pm
Just a thought, but I wonder if it’s possible to pull on the switch too hard and dislodged a contact somewhere?

Steve
Don't think it is that as just tested and it is doing it when using switch from drivers door also. Seems to get two thirds up and then really slows and then goes down. Manged to get it all the way up by pushing up on window and holding swith up. Booked in with dealer for next Thursday, these things happen.

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:43 pm

I believe the windows themselves should have a ‘foreign object sensor’ so that it avoids trapping things (such as young children) when closing them. It sounds like the window is coming up against some obstruction whilst closing, which is making it open again. Maybe it’s slipped in one of the rails which is causing it to tighten as it rises.
Let’s hope the dealer has an easy fix!

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

Blackstar

Post by Blackstar » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:06 pm

Our sunroof does this sometimes - gets as far as making contact with the pop-up wind deflector then as it starts to push it down, it suddenly reverses and re-opens itself. It also does this sometimes when closing using the remote. The only way to overcome it is to push and hold the control in the car.

I had put it down to an oversensitive anti-finger-jamming device and added it to the couple of snagging items to be sorted next time it's at the dealers, assuming it doesn't get any worse meanwhile.
2019 2.0 TDI (190 ps) SEL SCR 4MOTION DSG Atlantic Blue metallic swivelling towbar

hantshog

Post by hantshog » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:53 pm

Try lubricating the track where the glass runs both sides. Perhaps silicone spray, furniture polish or wax candle. Anything to hand that is slippery.
Indium Grey, 190 R line

Zobware

Post by Zobware » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:13 am

hantshog wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:53 pm
Try lubricating the track where the glass runs both sides. Perhaps silicone spray, furniture polish or wax candle. Anything to hand that is slippery.
All fixed apparently it was just lubrication on the tracks that was needed. Took dealer only a few minutes and said it shoudl not happen again.

hantshog

Post by hantshog » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:30 pm

.....I got one right for a change..... ;)

It will happen again, as there is possibly a very slight misalignment, either in the door tracks or the metal cradle the glass slides up and down in. Just remember to help it along with chosen lubricant every now and then....
Indium Grey, 190 R line

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:22 pm

The 'foreign object detection' is I believe based on motor load, and the default action is to back off. It can also do this if it's lost power for some reason. You re-teach it by holding the switch to go all the way up, and all the way down, so it detects where the limits are.