All Season tyres?

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Darthblader

All Season tyres?

Post by Darthblader » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:48 am

I've bought a used 2017 Tiguan 2.0 diesel 4Motion DSG SE, collecting it on Wednesday. Currently fitted with Firestone Destination on the front and some Continental sport Contact on the back. Fronts look very new, rears look a bit thin. 235/55 R18

We live in a very hilly rural area (West Dorset/East Devon), narrow lanes, and poor road surfaces. I'm thinking of swapping the tyres for something 'All Season' - e.g. Michelin Cross Climate or similar - to give more sure-footedness in the winter months.

Is there any downside to All Season tyres - noise, wear rate, harshness etc., or should I just stick with what we have, maybe Firestone all round?

Anyone have any favourites? I'm particularly keen to keep road noise to a minimum, not too fussed about wear or cost.

chillyman50

Re: All Season tyres?

Post by chillyman50 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:55 am

Michelin Cross Climate are one of the best, i would go with them. if you get a lot of snow then you may wish to consider snow chains.
===================================================================================
TIGUAN SEL 190PS TDI-4 MOTION, white metallic silver, DCC, Dynaudio, Voice,Leather/electric seats, Camera, Headlight wsh, sidescan, swivel towbar, added immobiliser,others

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:12 am

I would second Chillyman’s recommendation of the Michelin CrossClimates. Very good tyres, I swapped all my Scorpion Verde over to the Michelin’s last September, and after todays Full Service, all 4 are still in excess of 6.5mm. Like you, I’m in the south of the country which doesn’t seem to get the worst of winter weather, so you should be ok.

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

Darthblader

Post by Darthblader » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:20 am

Are Cross Climates any noisier than 'summer' tyres?

N15MGD

Post by N15MGD » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:55 am

Essjay wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:12 am
I would second Chillyman’s recommendation of the Michelin CrossClimates. Very good tyres, I swapped all my Scorpion Verde over to the Michelin’s last September, and after todays Full Service, all 4 are still in excess of 6.5mm. Like you, I’m in the south of the country which doesn’t seem to get the worst of winter weather, so you should be ok.

Steve
Steve do you find the Michelin better than the Pirelli in sense of noise and fuel consumption as I have Scorpions and must admit am impressed with the wear on them
Factory R-Line 240 Atlantic Blue, Leather heated front & rear, Discover Nav Pro, Dynaudio, TPMS, Keyless entry & tailgate, Area view with park assist, Heads up display and Side scan.

Retrofit genuine running boards with mud flaps and sunblinds

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:06 pm

The main reason for the change was that I was experiencing ‘cracking’ of the sidewall where it joins the tread on all 4 of the Scorpions, which others on here have also experienced. I put it down to the low mileage I do now I’ve retired. So I then decided on All Season tyres and the Michelins had the best write ups.
As for road noise, the Michelins are possible just a tad noisier than the Scorpions, although you’d be hard pushed to notice it. I’ve not noticed any fuel consumption issues really, as in the last 6 months the mileage has been considerably lower (for obvious reasons).

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

archie159

Post by archie159 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:54 pm

We have similar roads around here (not a great surprise, as I'm not that far from you!). I put Michelin Cross Climates on my other car (and they stay on all year round), but it was hard to find them in the right size for the Tiguan's wheels. In the end, I got a set of Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons G2 for the tiguan, fitted on their own 17" alloys (slightly smaller than the original wheels). The set of 4 wheels plus rims was cheaper than 4 all-seasons to fit the original wheels, and now I can swap the complete sets over on the Tiguan spring/autumn on my own. The Goodyears are pretty quiet (if anything, slighly quieter than the summer tyres on the main set of wheels), and the reviews on them were very good. I think (from the reviews) they might be slighly more winter oriented than the Michelins. I'm not sure what I'll do when the summer tyres wear out - I might just stick with the Goodyears on their smaller rims, as I think that rim/tyre combination is a bit smoother over the million potholes we have on the roads around here.
2017 Tiguan 2.0 TDI 150hp auto (second hand)

Alexc

Post by Alexc » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:55 pm

My Tiguan came with cross climate and they are good.

Previous car was a Touareg and I put General Grabbers on that that when the bridgestones wore down (very quickly) and was well pleased with their performance
2016 SE Nav 2.0 TDi DSG

carib230sel

Post by carib230sel » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:41 pm

CrossClimates have a good reputation for being quiet with good ride quality. Price is reasonable here:

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m146b0s8055p ... se%3A_69dB
2019 230tsi SEL 4motion inc HUD, Keyless, Progressive Steering, Eton UG speakers.

JaiCee

Post by JaiCee » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:10 pm

archie159 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:54 pm
We have similar roads around here (not a great surprise, as I'm not that far from you!). I put Michelin Cross Climates on my other car (and they stay on all year round), but it was hard to find them in the right size for the Tiguan's wheels. In the end, I got a set of Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons G2 for the tiguan, fitted on their own 17" alloys (slightly smaller than the original wheels). The set of 4 wheels plus rims was cheaper than 4 all-seasons to fit the original wheels, and now I can swap the complete sets over on the Tiguan spring/autumn on my own. The Goodyears are pretty quiet (if anything, slighly quieter than the summer tyres on the main set of wheels), and the reviews on them were very good. I think (from the reviews) they might be slighly more winter oriented than the Michelins. I'm not sure what I'll do when the summer tyres wear out - I might just stick with the Goodyears on their smaller rims, as I think that rim/tyre combination is a bit smoother over the million potholes we have on the roads around here.
Do you know where you got them from as I'm interested in doing the same