DSG Help......may seem dumb :(

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
johnnytro

DSG Help......may seem dumb :(

Post by johnnytro » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:29 am

All, this may seem a silly question to many of you, so my apologies in advance. This will be my FIRST DSG ever and know the basics but ready also some cautions. Again apologies for the dumb ass questions

- Park - is obvious. When you have done and finished a journey

- Reverse - also obvious

- Neutral - so when in Neutral does the hand break engage automatically ?

- D/S - does this rely on you ALWAYS changing? or will the system overside you and change up or down (high or low revs)
Drive - standard ?
Sport ? you need to change?

- Also, lights. Heard that crawling whilst in drive is hard on the DSG. When at red light or stationary for a sale period of time do you just HOLD the break? or do you go into Neutral or park to save wear and tear

Any other tips please??

chillyman50

Re: DSG Help......may seem dumb :(

Post by chillyman50 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:55 am

Park - is obvious. When you have done and finished a journey

- Reverse - also obvious

- Neutral - so when in Neutral does the hand break engage automatically ? NO

- D/S - does this rely on you ALWAYS changing? or will the system overside you and change up or down (high or low revs) YES
Drive - standard ? YES
Sport ? you need to change? YES IF IN DRIVE AND YOU PULL THE LEAVER DOWN IT WILL GO INTO SPORT GEAR. HOWEVER IF YOU CHNAGE THE SETTING TO SPORT THEM YOU ARE FULL IN SPORT MODE WITH THE OTHER CHNAGES, CHASSIS, acc ETC

- Also, lights. Heard that crawling whilst in drive is hard on the DSG. NO NOT THAT I HAVE SEEN
When at red light or stationary for a sale period of time do you just HOLD the break? or do you go into Neutral or park to save wear and tear YOU THE HOLD BUTTON PRESS IT WHEN YOU GET IN THE CAR AND ITWILL AUTO ENGAGE EACH TIME YOU STOP. IT IS NOT THE SAME A SA FULL HANDBREAK BUT WOEKS IN 99% OF CASES.

HOPE THAT HELPS
===================================================================================
TIGUAN SEL 190PS TDI-4 MOTION, white metallic silver, DCC, Dynaudio, Voice,Leather/electric seats, Camera, Headlight wsh, sidescan, swivel towbar, added immobiliser,others

johnnytro

Post by johnnytro » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:16 am

This does help 🙏

With regards to stopping and starting. Sorry can you advise more about what you mean by just pressing the hold button ?

So this is automatically off? You have to turn in on every time you get in the car?

And when you come to the lights you just leave the car in drive and hold break? You never every go into N or P to save clutch ?

John27

Post by John27 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:17 am

Once I pull away from start up, I leave my car in drive (or sport) until I have finished my journey. I never need to place it into Neutral or Park just because I am stationary in traffic or at a traffic light, for instance. On brakes, I leave my car permanently in Auto Hold (I never touch it and it is permanently on) but as chillyman50 says, you could set it each time you get in the car if you wish. In Auto Hold, when you come to a complete stop by pressing the foot-brake, a green brake light appears on the dash and now all your brakes are on (even if you now take your foot off the brake pedal). When you are ready to pull away, just press the accelerator and the brakes release automatically (great on a hill as you never roll back). Worth reading the manual on this and there may be some videos on YouTube as well. Definitely ask the seller (dealer?) for a demonstration.

No dual clutch gear box (like VW's DSG) likes crawling along as it can place excessive wear on the clutches and create heat. If you can, it is much better to let a gap appear and then drive up and stop again. I don't think crawling along for a short time or distance will have much impact but if stuck for a while in a slow moving large traffic jam, then I would avoid crawling if at all possible.

Good luck with your new car when you get it.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TSI 230 4Motion DSG - White with Vienna Leather, Head-up Display, TPMS, Side Scan & Voice Activation

CNC

Post by CNC » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:32 am

Spend a few minutes watching the videos posted here, they may help you to understand how the system works.

2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

CNC

Post by CNC » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:58 am

John27 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:17 am
No dual clutch gear box (like VW's DSG) likes crawling along as it can place excessive wear on the clutches and create heat. If you can, it is much better to let a gap appear and then drive up and stop again. I don't think crawling along for a short time or distance will have much impact but if stuck for a while in a slow moving large traffic jam, then I would avoid crawling if at all possible.
The DSG software allows for creep so reduces clutch pressure to minimise wear in the circumstances you mention, see the reply fom VW UK kindly supplied by forum member Tricky.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1065&start=20
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with reversing camera & park assist plus fully debadged

johnnytro

Post by johnnytro » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:53 pm

This is very very helpful thank you

Psychologically this will take some getting used to....trusting the car to HANDBRAKE for me 😬😬

Does AUTO work when you pull up and end your journey? Or do you need to pull the actual PARK and the end?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb 😬 25 years of manual to DSG.

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:36 pm

johnnytro wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:53 pm
This is very very helpful thank you

Psychologically this will take some getting used to....trusting the car to HANDBRAKE for me 😬😬

Does AUTO work when you pull up and end your journey? Or do you need to pull the actual PARK and the end?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb 😬 25 years of manual to DSG.

Just leave Auto Hold on and the car will do everything else. The handbrake will come on automatically, no need to touch it. You just leave Auto Hold on permanently, no need to do anything else.

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

johnnytro

Post by johnnytro » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:32 pm

The car will also know the correct time to choose HOLD and PARK? .......my drive is on a hill ........'worry' lol

Can you also know it straight from D into S whilst driving? or stationery only?
and same questions for driving modes?

Thank you all so so much for your help. PRICELESS.

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:40 pm

johnnytro wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:32 pm
The car will also know the correct time to choose HOLD and PARK? .......my drive is on a hill ........'worry' lol

Can you also know it straight from D into S whilst driving? or stationery only?
and same questions for driving modes?

Thank you all so so much for your help. PRICELESS.

If you want to select ‘Sport’ mode, you just move the gear lever back at any time and you will see the Drive selector letter in the dash display change from ‘D’ to ‘S’. In Sport mode the gearbox will hold onto each gear longer, allowing greater acceleration, and change down earlier as well. If you flick the gear-lever back again it will change back to normal drive (D) again.
You can use the gear ‘paddles’ on the steering wheel to manually change up or down the gears in either mode, and to go back to fully ‘auto’ mode just hold the up shift paddle for a couple of seconds.

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.