thejanners

Re: DSG Help......may seem dumb :(

Post by thejanners » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:56 pm

Essjay wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:36 pm
johnnytro wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:53 pm
This is very very helpful thank you

Psychologically this will take some getting used to....trusting the car to HANDBRAKE for me 😬😬

Does AUTO work when you pull up and end your journey? Or do you need to pull the actual PARK and the end?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb 😬 25 years of manual to DSG.

Just leave Auto Hold on and the car will do everything else. The handbrake will come on automatically, no need to touch it. You just leave Auto Hold on permanently, no need to do anything else.

Steve
jonnytro - auto hold should be on automatically. You can put on the handbrake for addtional security. Just make sure you dont accidently press the accelerator pedal or you will be off and quickly pressing the brake pedal
Tungsten Silver R-Line Tech, DSG, Petrol 230 BHP, Mudflaps, Towbar. :D

Wildcat

Post by Wildcat » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:57 pm

Hi Johnnytro, if this is your first DSG or Automatic, remember to tell your left leg to go to sleep!!! I remember the first time I drove an automatic, I nearly put myself through the windscreen! My left leg went for the clutch pedal and hit the brake, hard!!! You'll only ever do this once, trust me ;-)
2.0 TDi SWB 150ps 4Motion SEL 6sp man in Atlantic Blue with swivelling towbar MY2019

Statto1927

Post by Statto1927 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:34 pm

johnnytro wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:53 pm
Psychologically this will take some getting used to....trusting the car to HANDBRAKE for me 😬😬
Trust me. Once you’ve tried it, you'll never want to go back to anything else. :D
SEL 2.0 TDI DSG Caribbean Blue 4Motion

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:45 am

A little thing that some have had an issue with on hill starts is the car rolling back after the AH is released by pushing on the accelerator and then not continuing to apply more throttle. The initial push must be continued to pick up the load of the car and giving it enough throttle to move off. Practise in a deserted area if you are unsure. On a steep hill it can require a lot of throttle to prevent the car rolling back. I have never used the handbrake, I suppose it is used if AH is not turned on.
White 162kw/217.246hp, DSG