Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Boot floor panel

29K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  stevehallyboy 
#1 ·
Hello all

I'm just away to place an order on a lease Tiguan, part of a batch of stock coming in to the country in the next few weeks - waiting to see what colours are available. Lease deal seems very good in comparison to several PCP quotes obtained (over £4k less over 4 years when tallying everything up)

This will replace a 2017 A4 Avant Black Edition that I got at the time in preference to a Tiguan SEL - A4 has been a great car but have had four Audi Avants since 2007, wife fancies a change to something a little higher riding and I've also fallen out with our local Audi dealer since the last purchase :D

It's a 1.5 TSI Elegance DSG - the batch coming in apparently have zero options fitted over and above the standard spec. Will likely go for Pure White as none of the metallics really stand out and as it's a lease, I see no point in trying to pay extra for stuff not needed, with the Elegance spec already high. I guess the Driving Assistance Pack Plus for only £50 would have been nice, but oh well...

I noticed tonight on the configurator and brochure that as the batch of cars have no additional options, it won't come with a spare wheel, which then means it has a deeper boot without the variable load floor. I'd prefer the flat boot panel as it makes it easier for our 10 year dog to get in and out and lie on at an even height like in the pic below.

I plan on getting the dog guard shown, but is the variable height boot floor panel part available from VW dealers at a reasonable price and can it be retrofitted without much hassle?

Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Vehicle Carnivore

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·
Hi Phope,

I bought a Tiguan Elegance 1.5 dsg about a month ago and as it was a stock car it had no spare wheel or variable load cover, something I really wanted. But I needed a car quickly and went for the stock one.

There are are no fittings attached to the side panels to take a variable boot floor, it just comes with a floor cover, no tools and a self sealing kit - not confidence inspiring!

I enquired the cost of my local dealer supplying a space saver, jack and locking screw assembly. It came to £403!

So I sourced a space saver spare and tools from a breaker and then purchased the spare wheel locking bolt and screw cap from VW. That gave me my spare wheel capability for a total cost of £122. (To factory order, £251).

I then built the floor level up by 50mm by using Kingspan insulation from Wickes - about £6. I fitted it so that the existing floor cover was supported around its edges on the insulation and this cleared the spacesaver spare height by about 10mm. I clad the Kingspan in Gaffertape so that the bits wouldn't come off and cause a mess. It also gave a lot of room to securely store the jack and tools as well! An added bonus was that It also made the car quieter.

So, a good result.

I also wanted the £50 option driving assist plus option too, but when I spoke with the broker he was unable to clarify exactly what it was. It now appears that it only applies to the manual car, so the dsg elegance has it already fitted - happy days.

All in all a lovely car which I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Feel free to come back with any questions etc.,

John

#6 ·
1947jld said:
There are are no fittings attached to the side panels to take a variable boot floor, it just comes with a floor cover, no tools and a self sealing kit - not confidence inspiring!
Just to add, that's the same for mine. I had a pre-facelift car before and, comparing the two boot compartments:

- Plastic fittings at the side to support a variable boot floor are missing
- Storage compartment on left-hand-side is missing
- Boot floor panel is essentially fabric with no real structure, which is fine as it just sits on the actual boot floor. In the old car, the variable boot floor is pretty solid, about 15mm thick.
- Think there's also a plastic ridge panel in front of the seats in the boot pre-facelift, as when I tried the old boot floor in the new car, it was too small.
- As you've described, the spare is surrounded by expanded polystyrene, which holds the tools.
- Even the plastics either side of the parcel shelf are different - in the old car, they had spring clips which held the boot floor in place when accessing the spare.

All that said, it does leave you with a usefully bigger boot and supposedly the tyres are 'self sealing'. That won't help you with your Labrador though!

To convert to factory style, which presumably uses all the parts from the pre-facelift cars, would require quite a lot of bits (understand why they are charging £250 for this) and therefore a breaker might be your best option, or a DIY solution as described above.

#7 ·
I'm just planning to buy a full size "Auckland" spare, part number 5NA601025F according to eBay items.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=5NA601025F&_sacat=0

I prefer to have a full-size spare, and will get a replacement tyre the same type when I see what comes when delivered - I've done that with the last few cars I've had without spares, and usually make my money back when coming to sell

Will see what tools come with the car and buy others as needed like emergency jack, etc

#8 ·
Andy1979 said:
1947jld said:
Just to add, that's the same for mine. I had a pre-facelift car before and, comparing the two boot compartments:

- Plastic fittings at the side to support a variable boot floor are missing
- Storage compartment on left-hand-side is missing
- Boot floor panel is essentially fabric with no real structure, which is fine as it just sits on the actual boot floor. In the old car, the variable boot floor is pretty solid, about 15mm thick.
- Think there's also a plastic ridge panel in front of the seats in the boot pre-facelift, as when I tried the old boot floor in the new car, it was too small.
- As you've described, the spare is surrounded by expanded polystyrene, which holds the tools.
- Even the plastics either side of the parcel shelf are different - in the old car, they had spring clips which held the boot floor in place when accessing the spare.

All that said, it does leave you with a usefully bigger boot and supposedly the tyres are 'self sealing'. That won't help you with your Labrador though!

To convert to factory style, which presumably uses all the parts from the pre-facelift cars, would require quite a lot of bits (understand why they are charging £250 for this) and therefore a breaker might be your best option, or a DIY solution as described above.
I was hoping it would be possible to purchase a space saver and put it straight into the space where my pre facelift spare sits, I'm assuming now from your post that this is not possible, is the space no longer there ? Or am I missing something, any help appreciated.

#9 ·
1947jld said:
Hi Phope,

I then built the floor level up by 50mm by using Kingspan insulation from Wickes - about £6. I fitted it so that the existing floor cover was supported around its edges on the insulation and this cleared the spacesaver spare height by about 10mm. I clad the Kingspan in Gaffertape so that the bits wouldn't come off and cause a mess. It also gave a lot of room to securely store the jack and tools as well! An added bonus was that It also made the car quieter.

So, a good result.

I also wanted the £50 option driving assist plus option too, but when I spoke with the broker he was unable to clarify exactly what it was. It now appears that it only applies to the manual car, so the dsg elegance has it already fitted - happy days.

All in all a lovely car which I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Feel free to come back with any questions etc.,

John
Any chance of a photo please ?

#10 ·
Chris S said:
I was hoping it would be possible to purchase a space saver and put it straight into the space where my pre facelift spare sits, I'm assuming now from your post that this is not possible, is the space no longer there ? Or am I missing something, any help appreciated.
The space is still there (I have a much bigger boot as a result), it's just that the indentation in the floor for the spacesaver is very shallow, so the spacesaver is surrounded by polystyrene (unlike the Ateca and Karoq where the spare always fits under the mat (in the 2WD variants at least). The variable boot floor requires a lot of plastic fittings that are also missing.

Here are some photos. First two are my old car. Last two are from Autotrader and is what my new car looks like:
Car Vehicle Trunk Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

Vehicle Car Trunk Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design

Clearly some cost saving going on in the facelift, but I'm actually glad of the extra space.

Attachments

#11 ·
Andy1979 thanks for your reply, I can see the problem now, hopefully I'll be able to work something out to enable me to carry a space saver, I know it's not a problem for some but personally I don't like running without a spare, if anyone has any suggestions would be appreciated.....thanks.

#12 ·
Hi Chris S,

I'm attempting to send some piccys across of my installation- hope they help.

The supports are made of Kingspan insulation for lightness and strength, taped over for aesthetics and wearability.

Works really well for me 🤗

Attachments

#14 ·
Hi just received delivery of New R line Tiquan ...I wanted to protect boot floor and sides wondering if any thing currently on market fits the facelift Tiquan with lower boot floor ...be glad if any advice ...I think most things advertised are got Tiquan 11 not sure if boot shape has changed now ?

#16 ·
I have a Tiguan 2TDI 4 motion for 11 years & have been thinking of replacing it with a leased 1.5 TSI Elegance DSG. The boot space has been great for our Golden Retriever dog. Having looked on line at the new model I am disappointed to see the redesigned deep boot space which isn't suitable for a dog. I have been reading with interest the suggestions of adapting the height of the boot floor & looked at the photos etc. Can somebody please inform me how a space saver wheel would be secured to the boot floor & do the fittings etc come with the space saver wheel kit? Then is the existing boot floor panel taken up & repositioned over the space saver wheel & the kingspan insulation to become the new boot floor? Finally is this boot floor cover sturdy enough to support the weight of a large dog etc ?

#17 ·
Hi,

The spacesaver spare is located onto the boot floor by means of a large plastic locating bolt and screw cap. Part no: V3GO 803 899 E, cost: £12.25 inc. Vat. This fits into a slide recess in the boot floor and is very secure.

I bought an unused MK2 spacesaver and jack from a vehicle breaker for £110 delivered, cheap enough I thought.

The boot floor covering that is supplied is a thinnish board with a surround of about 60mm which is floppy. I think it would be strong enough to support a dog provided the Kingspan insulation is positioned to support the cover in the rigid area. It's very easy to arrange it so and wrap the insulation in gaffer tape to stop any bits coming of the insulation.

I've also soundproofed the metal floor and parcel shelf to complete the job.

Hope that helps 🤗

#19 ·
Hi all, I'm leasing a 2021 Tiguan (collection in March but it's already been built), and have been really disappointed to find out the false floor no longer comes as standard. I'm not so bothered by the lack of spare wheel, but I want somewhere to hide my rubbish (picnic blanket, shopping bags etc) and I want a flat load bay when my seats are down. I've confirmed with 3 VW dealerships that they cannot retrofit this floor. I think I'll do the following:

• Get a piece of plywood (or similar), cut it to fit the boot well at the height the variable floor would sit at.
  • Cut a frame for the plywood to sit on (perhaps with the Kingspan insulation posted above).
  • Stick the matt to the plywood with some strong adhesive, that way it looks more or less genuine when it's sat in the boot (so I don't keep reminding myself I've botched the whole thing with a plank of plywood :p).

Thoughts on this? Does anyone suggest a material over plywood? An alternative was buying the genuine variable floor from the dealer and propping that up with the insulation, but this will cost me ~£320 and I don't think it will actually fit properly as it looks like there will be a gap between the back seats and the variable floor (looking at photos, boots fitted with the floor properly also have a little ledge between the floor and the seats that the floor meets flush against). Bit disappointed to be looking at botch jobs already on a brand new £40k lease car :(

#20 ·
I'd have a look for someone breaking a Mk2 Tiguan and buy the boot floor bits from them including the moulded foam supports that go around the spare wheel. Must be possible to get them for less than £320?

#22 ·
Yes, there will be a lip of about 40mm.
Why not build up the floor height to your (and your dog's) requirements using appropriate thickness Kingspan? Cheap and light and you can tailor it as needed.
If the dogs heavy, use a thin ply board to support his weight under the boot floor covering.

#23 ·
1947jld said:
Yes, there will be a lip of about 40mm.
Why not build up the floor height to your (and your dog's) requirements using appropriate thickness Kingspan? Cheap and light and you can tailor it as needed.
If the dogs heavy, use a thin ply board to support his weight under the boot floor covering.
Did you use a pre facelift spacesaver?

Would a false floor, spare surround etc from a broken pre-facelift fit into a facelift?

#24 ·
I don't know if the polystyrene surround from a previous Tiguan will fit into a 2.5 facelift. I suspect that a Tiguan 2.0 may well do so. A visit to you supplying dealer may well let you check if it will?

When I researched how a spacesaver would fit into a 2.5, I contacted my local VW spares department who advised me of the spacesaver spare size to fit. It was off a Tiguan 2.0. They also provided the part number for the plastic locking bolt which I provided in a previous post.

#25 ·
1947jld said:
Hi Chris S,

I'm attempting to send some piccys across of my installation- hope they help.

The supports are made of Kingspan insulation for lightness and strength, taped over for aesthetics and wearability.

Works really well for me 🤗
I am so glad you showed these pictures. I got my new Tiguan last week and was gutted to open the boot and find the sunken boot floor. I came from a Hyundai and expected VW to be a step up in quality. This boot certainly is not.
I am going to try what you have done too. I have some left over insulation from a Garden office.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.