MIB3 USB audio

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
mrew42

Re: MIB3 USB audio

Post by mrew42 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:32 am

Baffles wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:24 am
Digressing a little bit, but with the facelift is there an additional USB port in the console under the arm rest?

I have a car on order and am keen to use an iPod Touch for music still, which I don't really want on display plugged in under the dash.

Thanks all
No, for connectivity (not just charging) there's the 2 in the centre console .
2020 R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG in Pure White - Carista tweaks, Bumper Protector, Heko Wind Deflectors. Carshades, DTE pedal box

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:46 am

Baffles wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:24 am
Digressing a little bit, but with the facelift is there an additional USB port in the console under the arm rest?

I have a car on order and am keen to use an iPod Touch for music still, which I don't really want on display plugged in under the dash.

Thanks all
No, there isn't a USB port in the bin under the armrest. However, you can set the radio up to stream directly from Apple Music without using Apple CarPlay. So, if you have a data plan or you use your phone as a hotspot, just log in with your Apple ID and you can stream direct. No need for an iPod. Or, if you have an iPhone, just use CarPlay

alandoak

Post by alandoak » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:36 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm a newcomer on this forum and I'd like to get back to the USB problem that Andy1979 and Dylan Jones refer to, hoping someone can provide more feedback?

I just took delivery of my new Tiguan last week and the USB problem (taking ages to load, not remembering which song was being played when re-starting the car, general instability) is doing my head in. I've just ordered the Sandisk USB that Andy 1979 recommended and, when I receive it, I'll formatted as exFAT and hope that it solves the main problems.

What I don't want is Dylan's issue i.e. "it takes an age (20 mins) to upload artists and most recent uploads onto the pendrive are last of all to upload."

I love my car - it's my 3rd Tiguan in succession - but, being a huge music fan - this is a real pain to me, particularly when I didn't have this problem with the USB type A or SD card slots in previous models.

I'd really appreciate if anyone else can share their experience e.g. How much music is stored on their USB stick before one experiences loading problems
p.s. My USB has about 50 gig of music i.e. about 8,000 songs

Cheers

Alan

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:05 am

I use CarPlay, all my music comes from Apple Music. No issues with any of the playlists I've created. It might just be me but in this modern age of streaming services, I can't understand why you'd want to use a USB stick to run your music from

mrew42

Post by mrew42 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:32 am

As good as the quality of Apple Music is, It can't beat the FLAC format music I have on the 512gb sd card in my phone. This also works in the sd slot but as I virtually always have my phone plugged in its not an issue.
2020 R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG in Pure White - Carista tweaks, Bumper Protector, Heko Wind Deflectors. Carshades, DTE pedal box

alandoak

Post by alandoak » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:32 am

Thanks for the reply, Blakey, but I struggle to understand why you'd post such a message in a forum designed for people to help each other. Did it occur to you that those of us who are, for example, pensioners might just struggle with more modern technology? I have no idea what CarPlay is and have no desire to find out at this stage of my life but what I do want from VW is a simple system that works efficiently. If VW put in USB slots then they should ensure that they work properly, don't you think? p.s. As an aside, this 67 year old refuses to stream as a matter of principle, preferring to support artists by actually buying cd's and then ripping them to .......USB sticks. Have a good day.

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:22 am

Alan, you say you struggle with modern technology, and yet you’re quite capable of ripping CD’s to usb sticks, presumably using a PC, so not so much of a struggle there then?
I’m pretty sure Blakey and also mrew42 were purely suggesting an alternative to the method you wish to use, and judging by how you worded your original post, you certainly don’t seem a stranger or struggler with modern technology.
If someone has experienced the same problem as you have, I’m sure they’ll be along to help eventually.

If your wish is for someone to assist with your problem, may I tactfully suggest that when someone comes up with a suggestion, you treat it as just that!, they are only trying to help!

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

alandoak

Post by alandoak » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:42 pm

Thanks for the advice, Steve, but I'm afraid I beg to differ. All the other posts in this thread, including mrew42's, are polite and helpful and this particular reply came across as quite rude to me, poo-pooing the idea of using USB. For the record, I didn't say I struggle with modern technology - I said "those of us who are, for example, pensioners might just struggle with MORE modern technology". Ripping cd's to USB sticks is a concept that has been around for many years so that's not a struggle for this old guy . Having said that, I don't wish to get involved in an argument, as I much prefer to look out for other user's advice with the original USB problem. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:17 pm

Alan, I quite understand the sentiment, and I do agree with the fact the some of our older members may lack the ability to deal with yet more modern technology being introduced, as I’m one of them and the same age as yourself!
I’ve come across replies to posts I’ve made in the past where someone has made a comment that I thought wasn’t warranted, and rather than reply to it I’ve bitten my tongue and moved on.

I hope someone will be along soon with an answer to your predicament.

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

alandoak

Post by alandoak » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:24 pm

Cheers, Steve. The postman has just delivered the Sandisk USN that Andy referred to so I'll give it a try and report back. Hoping it does the job.