Battery Memory savers

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Tammma

Battery Memory savers

Post by Tammma » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:44 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone know whether these would even work with a mk2 Tig given the more sophisticated power management? I am referring mainly to the version that plug in via the OBD port.

https://www.ebay.com/motors/blog/memory ... s-battery/
I know the OBD circuit is constantly on so I presume if you supply power via that, you would maintain things whilst the battery itself was ripped out temporarily? Looks like they supply a 9v connection...which would be higher than a flat battery that gives you access to electrics, but obviously no where near enough voltage to start the ignition.

Given the renewed lockdown and the increasing likelihood that I wont be driving anywhere near as much, a topup charge using a c-tek might be in order as the weeks go by. Unfortunately I live in an apartment block with no access to mains power from my spot so Id have to remove the battery and charge it from inside the flat.

I guess the alternative is to go for a long drive to a distant supermarket might be the other way of getting around this!

Separately I found the VW data plug in a crevice of the car that the previous owner had simply left in there. I know We Connect Go is a bit of a gimmick but what happens if you leave the plug connected permanently. Does it draw power? I know if you leave OBDEleven plugged in permanently you will come back to a flat battery as it continues to draw power and broadcast a BT signal. Is it the same with the VW dataplug

thanks,
T

Essjay

Re: Battery Memory savers

Post by Essjay » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:35 pm

I know nothing about Battery Memory Savers, but with regard to the VW Data Plug, I’ve had mine plugged into the OBD since I got it, and only removed it to use my Carista plug, and my battery hasn’t gone flat yet (fingers well and truly crossed🤞🤞).
I would imagine it draws minimal power while not being used, and probably only a very little more when connected via Bluetooth to your phone, at which time you’re engine’s probably running at the same time.

Steve
Last edited by Essjay on Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

Jeremy_SWE

Post by Jeremy_SWE » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:35 pm

My data plug has been connected for 2 1/2 years, no battery drain.
1.4tsi 150ps DSG6 4M
Pure white
19" Victoria
Ergo-active seats w.massage
Discover media NAVI
Sign assist
AID
Full keyless+electric tailgate
Tow pack w.camera
Aux-heater w.remote
Heated wheel
Dynaudio
Wireless charger
Side/rear scan
Amb.light pack

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:53 pm

Essjay wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:35 pm
I know nothing about Battery Memory Savers, but with regard to the VW Data Plug, I’ve had mine plugged into the OBD since I got it, and only removed it to use my Carista plug, and my battery hasn’t gone flat yet (fingers well and truly crossed🤞🤞).
I would imagine it draws minimal power while not being used, and probably only a very little more when connected via Bluetooth to your phone, at which time you’re engine’s probably running at the same time.

Steve

Funny follow on story this morning!. Really cold at 8.00am, and had a shopping order to pick up, so went to open the car (keyless) and....nothing! Doors wouldn’t unlock, boot wouldn’t open, and my immediate thought was, ‘I’ve tempted fate by saying I’ve never had a battery problem’.
Well it was a battery problem, but luckily not in the car, but the key fob!!. I changed the key fob battery about a year ago, and luckily bought a couple of spares at the same time, so 2 minutes to change the battery and ‘hey presto’ all working.👍

Did have me going for a while though! :roll:

Steve
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

Tammma

Post by Tammma » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:18 pm

Steve - never good to tempt fate!

I have a spare stock of 2032's and a screw driver in the glovebox. And a battery jumpstarter in the boot!

Interesting that there was no warning light on the dash - I mustve spotted mine when I did an OBDEleven scan and it mustve come up as a fault.

Interesting on the dataplug...not sure how its any different from OBDEleven...but there you go :)

T

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:22 pm

Tamma, I think you’ll find that the fob takes a CR2025 battery, not a 2032. The only differences in the two is that 25 and 32 are the thickness in mm (2.5 and 3.2), and the 25 is 160mA and the 32 is 230mA. The 2032 might fit, but could be a bit tight, and could damage the contacts!

Steve

Tammma

Post by Tammma » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:50 pm

Steve. Yes. I've got a 2032 in there, yes it was tight but not unreasonably so.

Works fine. Perhaps if I went back to a 2025 it wouldn't be happy.

I have a stack of other devices that use 2032s so I bought about 10 of them off eBay for a few quid.

Admittedly it was just what I had on hand. As you can tell I'll only be putting 32s in there from now on so hopefully no issue.

The YouTube clip I followed also did the same so clearly others have done similar without issue. But for anyone reading this into posterity 2025 is the 'correct' /recommended button cell.

hteepee

Post by hteepee » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:38 am

I wonder what triggers the message on the infotainment screen to "replace key battery"? Tiguan is nearly 3.5 years old. I've had it for the last 3 years and always used the same key. About a week ago I got the message a few times when starting the car then a few days later not even the red LED on the fob worked. 2nd key worked so I put a new (2025) in fob and still nothing. Had another go and gently prized the contacts up before inserting the new (2025) battery. Everything was then back to normal. With this in mind I imagine a (2032) would have fitted and I have plenty spares of those but not sure about the higher output.

???
R-Line 190 4Motion DSG White. Swivel Towbar Running Boards.

JK-VWTiguanR

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:52 am

hteepee wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:38 am
I wonder what triggers the message on the infotainment screen to "replace key battery"? Tiguan is nearly 3.5 years old. I've had it for the last 3 years and always used the same key. About a week ago I got the message a few times when starting the car then a few days later not even the red LED on the fob worked. 2nd key worked so I put a new (2025) in fob and still nothing. Had another go and gently prized the contacts up before inserting the new (2025) battery. Everything was then back to normal. With this in mind I imagine a (2032) would have fitted and I have plenty spares of those but not sure about the higher output.

???
The 2032 is not a higher output, both batteries are 3 volts its just due to the extra size the 2032 has a higher capacity.

2025 capacity is 170 mAH upto 2 Volts
2032 Capacity is 235 mAH upto 2 volts

apart from size and storage capacity they are the same.

Often you can fit a 2032 into a 2025 holder as there is a lot of travel distance on the contacts but sometimes you may find that the holder being used does not offer this.

Use a lot of each at work and in a car key fob the difference in how long each ones lasts will not be a massive issues for most, the original 2025 will last years.
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.

hteepee

Post by hteepee » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:34 am

Thanks for the clarification wrt battery outputs, so I'll use my stash of 2032's next time. First question though which still puzzles me is how does the message to replace fob battery get instigated?? Just curious.
R-Line 190 4Motion DSG White. Swivel Towbar Running Boards.