Battery Memory savers

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Tammma

Re: Battery Memory savers

Post by Tammma » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:40 pm

Hteepee

I reckon the key must communicate the key battery voltage back to the car...has to be.

T

hteepee

Post by hteepee » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:52 pm

I wondered the same, but don't see how. I don't see how age of battery is how it works (2nd battery fob lives in house unused, but worked when first fob failed). Total mystery, but so long as swapping battery clears message on infotainment screen and continues to operate central locking then that will have to do I guess.
R-Line 190 4Motion DSG White. Swivel Towbar Running Boards.

Blackstar

Post by Blackstar » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:38 pm

hteepee wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:52 pm
I wondered the same, but don't see how. I don't see how age of battery is how it works (2nd battery fob lives in house unused, but worked when first fob failed). Total mystery, but so long as swapping battery clears message on infotainment screen and continues to operate central locking then that will have to do I guess.
Mine came up with the change key fob battery message last week each time I started the car. Just to check on the process before I had access to a replacement, I removed the old battery and then put it straight back in. The message then cleared and stayed away, didn't come back even after several days before I was able to fit a new battery. When I checked the old battery it was coming up as 95% full on the tester. So I guess it can't be based on actual condition - maybe length of time since last changed or else number of times used?
2019 2.0 TDI (190 ps) SEL SCR 4MOTION DSG Atlantic Blue metallic swivelling towbar

Tubemonster

Post by Tubemonster » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:13 am

Carista showed up a fault code on mine No/.204546 which said "Remote Key 2- current too low" I replaced the battery and it hasn't come back.
Last edited by Tubemonster on Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TDI 4Motion 190PS 7 Speed DSG -Factory Tow bar-Keyless-Electric Boot- 360 Area View.

mrew42

Post by mrew42 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:14 am

Blackstar wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:38 pm
hteepee wrote:
Mine came up with the change key fob battery message last week each time I started the car. Just to check on the process before I had access to a replacement, I removed the old battery and then put it straight back in. The message then cleared and stayed away, didn't come back even after several days before I was able to fit a new battery. When I checked the old battery it was coming up as 95% full on the tester. So I guess it can't be based on actual condition - maybe length of time since last changed or else number of times used?
Could be dirty/corroded contacts and taking it out and replacing it was enough to clean it. Bit like when the old TV remote starts playing up so you remove the back and rotate the AAAs and hey presto it works again :D
2020 R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG in Pure White - Carista tweaks, Bumper Protector, Heko Wind Deflectors. Carshades, DTE pedal box

Blackstar

Post by Blackstar » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:54 pm

mrew42 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:14 am
Blackstar wrote:
hteepee wrote:
Could be dirty/corroded contacts and taking it out and replacing it was enough to clean it. Bit like when the old TV remote starts playing up so you remove the back and rotate the AAAs and hey presto it works again :D
That is very possible. I did also wonder about the cold weather as where the key is kept is in part of the house that isn't always heated. Anyway, for the sake of the cost of a battery I've left the new one in and also put a spare new battery in the glovebox in case the other fob goes.
Interesting to see that the OBD does actually sense the battery current.
2019 2.0 TDI (190 ps) SEL SCR 4MOTION DSG Atlantic Blue metallic swivelling towbar

Rory

Post by Rory » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:54 pm

Blackstar wrote:
hteepee wrote:
It came up on daughter's SEAT Ateca (so I'm assuming same system) 3 mths after the dealer changed the key battery. Actually I say "came up" - she hadn't seen the warning at all because with keyless start you don't see it (or maybe it's there extremely briefly). It's only when I turned the ignition on (by trying to start the car without clutch depressed) did the warning become obvious. Seems a poorly thought out way of warning.

So it looks like it is checking the battery condition. Not unheard of - other daughter had a Mitsubishi Colt and that flashed the indicators like mad on unlocking when the key battery was low - didn't know what the heck was going on first time it did it.
near Chester, UK
Sept 2015 Match 150PS TDI 4Motion DSG (hers) - thinking of a mk2, maybe an Allspace, for him. :)
Added Sept 2018 SEAT Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi 2WD manual to the family 'fleet'.