Cubic Telecom

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Tammma

Re: Cubic Telecom

Post by Tammma » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:02 am

A little bit more googling and it looks like you can thank Apple security for not allowing apps to access to wifi/BT/hotspot settings. Looks like a jailbreak is the only way on an iphone...

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... e-is-in-ra

Not wanting to start an apple vs android debate, but this is honestly just a nuisance. This should make my life easier, not harder.

Tripeh - looks like the extra sim is not a bad bet then. Alternatively several people on the forums have gotten dongle/wingle wifi sim plans plugged into the glovebox. Failing that, you could just leave your iphone hotspot on permanently....and live with the added battery drain?

Another alternative, you could leave an old unused iphone/apple product in the glovebox that could activate the apple tether that the car could piggyback off?

phope

Post by phope » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:52 am

The iPhone hotspot turns itself off after 90 seconds if no devices are connected to it, so leaving an old iPhone plugged in doesn't work, as the hotspot will still turn itself off when the ignition is off and car is locked.

It seems to be that only iCloud authenticated devices can connect automatically with no intervention - everything else, including the car will need to have had the hotspot opened manually to allow it to connect.

IMG_3662.jpeg

2020 Tiguan 1.5 Elegance DSG
2017 Arteon 2.0 TSI DSG

Tripleh

Post by Tripleh » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:04 pm

Have tried the single route on my original Mk2 but they seem slow to connect sometimes not at all. Its not just battery drain thats a problem but the iPhone hotspot will not connect automatically to the car, if you get in the car and toggle the hotspot switch off and back on on the phone it will connect but I can't do that every time I get in the car. That would also be the case for leaving a phone in the car. As I say I have tried the free 1gb and it connects the car as soon as I switch on the ignition. Taking the Cubic Telecom one year route works out at roughly 5gb for £8 a month. Which is in line with lots of sims out there.
Tiguan R-Line 1.5 Tsi Evo DSG 2wd
Nightshade Blue
Keyless entry.
Park assist and Rear Camera

Built October 2020

Pezamaria

Post by Pezamaria » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:20 am

Hi all, I’m on an older SEL model from 2017 but I bought myself a usb WiFi dongle and then a Three data only sim (about 24gb for £30ish) and that’s my in car WiFi for anyone’s phone.

Would that help or am I missing something? Apologies if so!
Tiguan SEL 2.0 TDI DSG, Indium Grey, Park assist w/rear view camera, Side scan, Electric tailgate & keyless entry

Tripleh

Post by Tripleh » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:36 am

Pezamaria I went down that route in my original mk2 but found the wingle was pretty slow connecting, plus it was a 3g wingle so personally now I would have to buy a new wingle £40 - £50 plus get a new sim. Thats why I am thinking of going down the Cubic Telecom route which works out at about £8 a month and uses the built in sim. I was just wondering if anyone else had gone down that route
Tiguan R-Line 1.5 Tsi Evo DSG 2wd
Nightshade Blue
Keyless entry.
Park assist and Rear Camera

Built October 2020