General feedback on Elegance model

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Pezamaria

General feedback on Elegance model

Post by Pezamaria » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:38 pm

Hi all,

I used to be on this forum every day for hours back when I was ordering my first Tiguan and waiting for delivery (2017).

It’s now time to choose our next one and we’re looking at the Elegance, petrol DSG 1.5 TSG.

I’ve read through a ton of posts today but I wondered what the general feeling is for the petrol and Elegance line?

I’m sure back in the day I could almost offer reviews on any Tiguan just from the knowledge I’d built up here, so hoping you lovely folk can give me an idea if it’s a bad move or not!

Thanks in advance - and I can’t wait to get back in to my daily visits here!
Tiguan SEL 2.0 TDI DSG, Indium Grey, Park assist w/rear view camera, Side scan, Electric tailgate & keyless entry

KBEE

Re: General feedback on Elegance model

Post by KBEE » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:00 am

My 2p worth:

On paper, Elegance is the best equipped trim for the money. The R-Line has the sporty looks but you get far more tech on the Elegance, so unless you want to add lots of extras (which is a fair thing to do if you have the budget!), Elegance is the way to go in my opinion.

As for the 1.5 engine (150ps), I guess I can comment more directly on that! I think it’s great. Never had any regrets choosing it. It gives a really good mix of performance and economy.

Let’s be honest, you’re not going to smoke too many premium SUVs off at the lights with it, but I’ve never felt it was sluggish. It’s also perfectly good at overtaking and on motorway inclines. Even fully loaded with five and dog or luggage in the boot, it’s well suited to the car.

It makes sense that VW only offer it in 2WD but if you’re not fussed about 4Motion I think it’s your best choice. (Unless you do big mileage and are more suited to a diesel of course)

I know there were some stories in the early days of the engine about kangarooing but I’ve never had a problem (though admittedly the DSG was meant to mask the problem). There was a software update a while back that did improve the responsiveness at low revs - noticeably- and apparently solved all those issues.

I hope that helps!
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 1.5 Petrol DSG, Indium Grey

phope

Post by phope » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:52 pm

All the tech listed in your sig for your SEL is now standard on the Elegance, but some extra cost on the R-Line - plus some stuff like the top spec headlights are now extra cost on R-Line but standard fit on Elegance. Unless you're fussed about the 20" wheels and bodykit, then Elegance is the sweet spot in the range now.

Mine was a stock order that I couldn't spec myself, but I'd be tempted, if speccing, to add the £50 extra on Elegance to get the full Assistance Pack Plus for drivers assistance kit - seems to be a quirk of the different specs - R-Line has the full set, whereas Elegance has less assistants.

I find the 1.5 Elegance more than adequate for day to day driving- seems smooth enough.
2020 Tiguan 1.5 Elegance DSG
2017 Arteon 2.0 TSI DSG

iamkplunk

Post by iamkplunk » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:06 pm

KBEE wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:00 am
My 2p worth:

On paper, Elegance is the best equipped trim for the money. The R-Line has the sporty looks but you get far more tech on the Elegance, so unless you want to add lots of extras (which is a fair thing to do if you have the budget!), Elegance is the way to go in my opinion.

As for the 1.5 engine (150ps), I guess I can comment more directly on that! I think it’s great. Never had any regrets choosing it. It gives a really good mix of performance and economy.

Let’s be honest, you’re not going to smoke too many premium SUVs off at the lights with it, but I’ve never felt it was sluggish. It’s also perfectly good at overtaking and on motorway inclines. Even fully loaded with five and dog or luggage in the boot, it’s well suited to the car.

It makes sense that VW only offer it in 2WD but if you’re not fussed about 4Motion I think it’s your best choice. (Unless you do big mileage and are more suited to a diesel of course)

I know there were some stories in the early days of the engine about kangarooing but I’ve never had a problem (though admittedly the DSG was meant to mask the problem). There was a software update a while back that did improve the responsiveness at low revs - noticeably- and apparently solved all those issues.

I hope that helps!
+1 to this.

Suppose it depends what you're coming from and looking for... I came from a 2017 Audi S3 as I was wanting something slightly cheaper to run and maintain and more space. I love the tech although some of it is probably unnecessary but I like the little things of the ambient lighting colours, digital dash, sunroof, heated steering wheel. The small things. It's quiet on the road and a comfy drive, huge boot with auto open and shut and overall looks smart in Reflex Silver. The 1.5 Petrol DSG is smooth, can't feel the gear changes, and is quick enough to comfortable overtake - I some times feel it might slightly rev higher before changing gear but I guess that's more my driving but yeah. Overall the 1.5 DSG is comfortable, quick enough and a nice drive.

Andy1979

Post by Andy1979 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:00 pm

Just moved from 2.0 TDI 150 DSG 2017 SEL Tiguan to 1.5 TSI Petrol DSG Elegance. I'm really happy - feels smoother and is no slower. Economy takes a hit, but cheaper to buy and much lower depreciation so don't worry about petrol costs unless doing mega miles each year.
Tiguan Elegance 150 TSI DSG 2WD Moonstone Grey

Pezamaria

Post by Pezamaria » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:57 pm

Thanks all so much, great to hear your views and know it’s not one to avoid. I’m glad you’re all happy with yours too.

Having dived in to several posts yesterday I love that CarPlay is now wireless, so I think we’re also going to add the wireless phone charger too - no more wires!
Tiguan SEL 2.0 TDI DSG, Indium Grey, Park assist w/rear view camera, Side scan, Electric tailgate & keyless entry

mrchinchin25

Post by mrchinchin25 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:38 pm

Just got a Petrol 1.5 DSG Elegance myself. Like everyone has said, looked at the Trim and tech between this and the R-Line, went for the Elegance.

For me, must haves are rear-view camera, whilst nice-to-haves but definitely sold me are keyless entry and auto-open boot.

So far, not done many miles due to the current lockdown. But I've found it great to drive, not been on a motorway but have been on a few faster A roads and a fair bit of around town pottering and country roads.

Me personally I've come from a 2.0 Diesel manual Tiguan (2016-2019) and 1.6 Diesel manual Golf (2019-2021). Had no issues getting used to the DSG setup and find it just as fast as the 2.0 Diesel (and a lot more comfy than a Golf!)

Pezamaria

Post by Pezamaria » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:33 pm

Thanks MrChin for adding to this.

Today we ordered the 1.5 TSI Elegance DSG, adding driver assist plus and the inductive phone charger.

14-16 weeks until delivery so I’ll be haunting this forum during that time and pouring over info on the car’s tech :-)

phope

Post by phope » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:24 am

Sounds good :)
2020 Tiguan 1.5 Elegance DSG
2017 Arteon 2.0 TSI DSG