I wonder when are are likely to see a Mk3 Tiguan?

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Essjay

I wonder when are are likely to see a Mk3 Tiguan?

Post by Essjay » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:27 pm

Now that the Mk2 facelift Tiguan has taken off and seems to be selling well, although I suspect we will see a few more variants soon such as 2.0l petrol engines and 4Motion, I’m beginning to wonder about the introduction of a brand new Mk3 Tiguan. I know it probably won’t be this year, but I believe we could see some announcement for 2022.

I personally would like to wait for the announcement of a Mk3, as any move for me now to a facelift model will give me little extra over what I have at present. There have been some ‘guesses’ by the motoring press in the past as to what body styling changes would take place, but these seem to have been based on conjecture rather than hard fact. Will it be more of a focus on EV models?, I wouldn’t be surprised, but I am hoping for the introduction of at least one ‘mild’ hybrid in the future for those of us who don’t have off-road parking.

I do think it will have to be a radical change in body shape though, which would be a departure from what VW have done in the past, with only minor body shape changes. I think it should be more streamlined and less ‘boxy’ than the present Mk2, but they will have to be careful about going too far.

There are some interesting body shapes that have just been revealed from makes such as DS (with the new DS4) and Hyundai with the new Tucson, which also makes me think VW should be a bit more adventurous with the Mk3.

One interesting point came up in the news over the last couple of days was where the boss of VW said they weren’t worried about Apple’s entry into the world of EV’s...... just talk, or have they got something else up their sleeve ?. I guess we’ll just have to wait.......lets hope it’s not too long!

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

JBS2472

Re: I wonder when are are likely to see a Mk3 Tiguan?

Post by JBS2472 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:35 pm

I am on my second Mk2 Tig, had a 2016 SEL and then traded in for a 2019 R Line Tech.

Like yourself I believe there should be a more radical style change for the mk3, I saw the renders of the Coupe version but don’t think it is rounded enough compared to Audi, Merc and BMW versions on the market.

I have also been looking at the new Hyundai Tucson, but what has caught my eye is the new Cupra Formentor in V2 trim which also looks very well specced and cheaper than the current Tig in Elegance or R LIne trim.
SEL Indium Grey 2.0Tdi 150 DSG

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:41 pm

2022's optimistic, i'm guessing more like '24/25. Look at the similar timescales for the mk1 facelift, 2011/12 and the mk2 2016.

c_w

Post by c_w » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:45 pm

I think VW will struggle to make it as appealing as the original MK2 R-Line (16-20), it's just such as good looking car IMO and still looks just right on the road. The facelift really hasn't done anything for it, and actually for me looks more like the original mk1 Tiguan now they've dropped the front grill and put twin DRL lights back on it. I also think the rear apron on the regular models with fake exhausts looks cheap and "overdressed" vs the standard diffuser.

JK-VWTiguanR

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:27 pm

JBS2472 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:35 pm
I am on my second Mk2 Tig, had a 2016 SEL and then traded in for a 2019 R Line Tech.

Like yourself I believe there should be a more radical style change for the mk3, I saw the renders of the Coupe version but don’t think it is rounded enough compared to Audi, Merc and BMW versions on the market.

I have also been looking at the new Hyundai Tucson, but what has caught my eye is the new Cupra Formentor in V2 trim which also looks very well specced and cheaper than the current Tig in Elegance or R LIne trim.
Problem for me with the Tucson and others is the square wheel arches, one of the features I like about the Tiguan is the rounded wheel arches, these odd square arches are not for me.
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.

RRR1

Post by RRR1 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:03 pm

Personally the mk2 in Match trim had everything I wanted; I didn't want any of the extras on SEL or R-line models and especially didn't want the sunroof even if it was free. However, a 2.0l petrol manual would be a good enhancement.

The worst thing they can do with the mk3 is use touch buttons instead of physical buttons and knobs.