R-Line rear spoiler recall

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Paulpremier

R-Line rear spoiler recall

Post by Paulpremier » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:38 pm

Has anybody else has a recall letter from VW yet regarding the R-Line rear spoiler, got mine today apparently some issue with the bonding to the tailgate and the possibility of it becoming detached above 35 mph !!. Not a good thing to happen, have got to book it in to have it removed and re-bonded.
R line 2.0 tsi, dsg, 4 motion, indium grey, Vienna leather, keyless + electric tailgate.

sliveredge

Re: R-Line rear spoiler recall

Post by sliveredge » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:20 pm

I think this is oldish topic and one of the fixes is them drilling and screwing it in with the potential of rust issues

Etotheip

Post by Etotheip » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:51 am

Mine went in on Monday for this. They looked at it and said it was fine.
R line, MY2018

Tammma

Post by Tammma » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:28 am

@Paul-

I think there were threads on this earlier when it first came out last year. For your benefit, the recall is listed with the DVLA/DVSA. https://www.check-vehicle-recalls.servi ... 18/recalls

@Etotheip - I thought it was every (RLine) MK2 car within a certain VIN range? https://www.vehicle-recall.co.uk/recall/R/2020/300

I didn't think there was any judgement to it...more like if it was within that VIN range they would apply the fix?

I've seen photos of the fix done. Does not look great I have to say...

T

Etotheip

Post by Etotheip » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:50 pm

Hi,

The dealer didn’t put the two bolts in as described in the recall as they said it was fine :roll:
R line, MY2018

iTomB

Post by iTomB » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:45 pm

I also didn't had the fix done. Lousy drilling job through the spoiler and the body. What about rust ?

John27

Post by John27 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:01 pm

This is a link to this issue earlier on the forum viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6865&hilit=recall

One of later posts says that in Oz, they re-stick the spoiler. Certainly if my car were affected, that is the repair I would want. Indeed, I would seriously consider paying to have this re-stuck rather than the screws (since the UK repair seems to be screws only) - but everything is subject to price?

I am surprised that some dealers are saying some cars are OK and don't need the repair? I understood all affected cars needed the recall fix whether the spoiler was currently loose or not? I might be wrong of course, or perhaps the advice from VW has changed to dealers?
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TSI 230 4Motion DSG - White with Vienna Leather, Head-up Display, TPMS, Side Scan & Voice Activation

Tammma

Post by Tammma » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:58 pm

John27,

Yet I have seen other posts from Oz saying it's the ugly two torx bolts...seemingly not consistent. Perhaps it's dealer to dealer...but I can't see how a specific dealer would go off and use a new adhesive when the technical bulletin calls for two bolts.

Dealers typically don't get a say in this stuff I thought...I guess it's fingers crossed and hope you don't need a fix like etotheip. I'm certainly hoping that I am also in that camp.

Interestingly when I punch in my VIN there is no recall listed against my 18 RLine on dlva...

T

Paulpremier

Post by Paulpremier » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:53 pm

Interesting, my recall letter doesn’t mention anything about fixing with additional bolts, just to remove and re-bond with new adhesive, would not be happy if the tailgate was drilled and as other people say what about rust, will they cover this if it does rust, has anybody got a photo of the repair with the additional bolts please ?.
R line 2.0 tsi, dsg, 4 motion, indium grey, Vienna leather, keyless + electric tailgate.

JK-VWTiguanR

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:22 pm

Anyone who has had the work done able to post some images of the work so we can see what these two bolts look like.
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.