Retrofit wireless charger

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
thejanners

Re: Retrofit wireless charger

Post by thejanners » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:01 pm

Rusty04 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:47 pm
Hi

Has anyone fitted a retrofit wireless charger that they can recommend?

Ideally one that can be done via a DIY?

Thanks
R
These on Amazon have got good reviews (and not just on Amazon's site)

Tungsten Silver R-Line Tech, DSG, Petrol 230 BHP, Mudflaps, Towbar. :D

Rusty04

Post by Rusty04 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:52 pm

Hi exaudisi

Sounds good would be nice to see some pics of the setup?
Tiguan Allspace RLine Tech
2.0tdi 190 4 motion

JK-VWTiguanR

Post by JK-VWTiguanR » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:04 am

ExAudiSi wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:47 pm
I just bought one of these;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-In-1-Car-Q ... 2749.l2649

Plugs into a USB adapter in the 12v socket. Charges my iPhone 12 Mini with no problems. It's not an OEM looking solution, but for under £15 its fine.
Looking at reviews for this item some people have had issues with the mat causing car issues on other makes and not working very well and it only has a 60% 5 star rating.

Also its a Chinese manufactured item and not CE rated.

How are you finding it?

With all added extras to car electrics the thing that worries me is if something bad happened and it was pinned down to an extra you used and it was not CE approved could your insurance company walk away from any claim.

Anyone know the answer to this?
2019 19-Plate 230hp Tiguan R-Line Tech in White with Loads of Extras
Replaced: 2018 18-Plate 240hp Tiguan R-Line in White with Loads of Extras.

ExAudiSi

Post by ExAudiSi » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:49 pm

Mine has been fine and doesn't appear to be causing any problems.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over the lack of a CE mark on a 5 volt phone charger.
67 Plate, Pure White Tiguan 2.0TDI 4 Motion manual, electric tailgate, Miramar Grey 20" alloys and sports suspension.

ExAudiSi

Post by ExAudiSi » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:28 pm

JK-VWTiguanR wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:04 am

Looking at reviews for this item some people have had issues with the mat causing car issues on other makes and not working very well and it only has a 60% 5 star rating.

How are you finding it?

With all added extras to car electrics the thing that worries me is if something bad happened and it was pinned down to an extra you used and it was not CE approved could your insurance company walk away from any claim.

Just for reference, I had the wireless charger out of my car today and although it is made in China, it is CE marked.
67 Plate, Pure White Tiguan 2.0TDI 4 Motion manual, electric tailgate, Miramar Grey 20" alloys and sports suspension.

Tubemonster

Post by Tubemonster » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:01 pm

ExAudiSi wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:28 pm
JK-VWTiguanR wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:04 am

How are you finding it?

Just for reference, I had the wireless charger out of my car today and although it is made in China, it is CE marked.
Those Chinese wouldn't put a CE on it if it wasn't would they? :lol:
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TDI 4Motion 190PS 7 Speed DSG -Factory Tow bar-Keyless-Electric Boot- 360 Area View.

Essjay

Post by Essjay » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:07 pm

Tubemonster wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:01 pm
Those Chinese wouldn't put a CE on it if it wasn't would they? :lol:

They might, but they’d have to get it past HMRC! 😉

Steve
Tiguan 2.0 TSi 180 SEL DSG 4MOTION (Sept ‘16, MY17).
Caribbean Blue, Vienna "Storm Grey" leather, Keyless and electric tailgate, (TPMS), Area View, Park Assist, HUD, Winter Pack, Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres, Carlinkit Wireless Carplay.

Tubemonster

Post by Tubemonster » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:22 pm

Steve everything from China goes through HMRC ;)
I'm only teasing. They've got such a bad rep that it's hard to believe that they actually make anything that's "legit".
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TDI 4Motion 190PS 7 Speed DSG -Factory Tow bar-Keyless-Electric Boot- 360 Area View.

ExAudiSi

Post by ExAudiSi » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:17 pm

I used to work as a test engineer testing a lot of car parts amongst other things and it's not just the Chinese that don't always follow the rules.

I never said it would or wouldn't meet CE regulations, but it does carry the mark which JK seemed worried about.

colin_thames

Post by colin_thames » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:16 pm

Hi all
I've been reading the various posts on retro-fitting wireless charging and am wondering why there are so many suppliers of third party chargers for Tiguans but most say they are for left hand drive models and the other, identical looking ones say nothing. I understand this for the type that plugs into the cigar lighter, because LHD models have the cigar lighter on the other side, but why don't the ones that are wired in fit? Or do they?

Has anyone tried one of these types?

https://bit.ly/3uJDzmf

I'm wondering if the tray which comes out is actually ambidextrous? Problem is I don't have my Tiguan yet. Delivery mid to late April, so I can't check if the insert might fit. I'm tempted to try one anyway

My other thought is: can the cigar lighter and usb panel be reversed, so that the cigar lighter style chargers like this:
https://bit.ly/3qaDGno would still fit?