Removable Tow Bar

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
Mikey Dread

Removable Tow Bar

Post by Mikey Dread » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:39 pm

Afternoon everyone, A bit of advice please if anyone can help.
I want to fit a removable tow bar to my 2017 Tiguan. This is purely for a bike rack with a plate on the back for lights and reg plate.

I thought this would be straightforward and hopefully it will be as soon as I can get these questions answered.

If I'm just using it for a rear light bar do I need the 7 or the 13 pin plug? Do I need to get the software updated as some of the posts I've read seem to indicate this although they mostly seem to be caravan owners?

I'm looking at the Westfalia Detachable Towbar Ball Head Used For VW Tiguan - 2017 Has anyone got one of these? Is there anything involved in fitting the tow bar, ie, is the socket for the towbar and the socket for the electrics already in place?

Many thanks in advance for your help

thejanners

Re: Removable Tow Bar

Post by thejanners » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:52 pm

Welcome to the forum

This has been covered before so please do a search when you can

A removable tow bar would be quite expensive but believe it can be done. Your best bet would be to contact your local tow bar installer

I had a fixed unit fitted by VW as they offered a good deal on my car as it was well within warranty (and others tend to stay away from the back of the car)

An independent installer quoted me £450.00 to supply and fit towbar, 13 pin dedicated electrics and code to the vehicle
Tungsten Silver R-Line Tech, DSG, Petrol 230 BHP, Mudflaps, Towbar. :D

Mikey Dread

Post by Mikey Dread » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:46 pm

that's very helpful, point taken about searching!
I'll contact some local fitters

Cheers

AnastieByte

Post by AnastieByte » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:23 pm

I have a removable tow bar for the same purpose. I went for dedicated electrics to save risking voiding warranty and it disables rear sensors when connected. My advice would be to go for the modern 13 pin although 7 to 13 pin adapters are cheap many racks and caravans are 13 pin.
Sold July 2020 - 2018 150 TDI RLine with Pedal Box
Purchased July 2020 - 2019 240 BiTDi RLine