Service/inspection

All Volkswagen Tiguan related discussions
GaryP

Service/inspection

Post by GaryP » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:14 pm

Hello would someone be able to explain to me what the difference is between an inspection and a service on my Tiguan as it needs an inspection in 20 days and a service in 115days.
Many thanks
Gary

Tammma

Re: Service/inspection

Post by Tammma » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:02 am

One they shine a torch at it, the other they swap out fluids?

GaryP

Post by GaryP » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:04 am

Tammma wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:02 am
One they shine a torch at it, the other they swap out fluids?
So a waste of time then! But probably need it for warranty and would it be included in the service plan??

thejanners

Post by thejanners » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:11 pm

GaryP wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:14 pm
Hello would someone be able to explain to me what the difference is between an inspection and a service on my Tiguan as it needs an inspection in 20 days and a service in 115days.
Many thanks
Gary
This is a bit strange. You should only have one or the other

Normally the inspection means service which is oil and filter

There was a similar post here - viewtopic.php?t=4424
Tungsten Silver R-Line Tech, DSG, Petrol 230 BHP, Mudflaps, Towbar. :D

Tammma

Post by Tammma » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:35 am

Relevant page taken from the manual.

Up to you to work out whether you need an 'inspection'.

20210306_093406.jpg

GaryP

Post by GaryP » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:45 am

Thank you

chillyman50

Post by chillyman50 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:50 pm

you dont need both.

the inspection service happens after one year .
the service normally referred to as the main service is after two years where other work will be carried out.

the
===================================================================================
TIGUAN SEL 190PS TDI-4 MOTION, white metallic silver, DCC, Dynaudio, Voice,Leather/electric seats, Camera, Headlight wsh, sidescan, swivel towbar, added immobiliser,others

John27

Post by John27 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:18 pm

According to the VW website, cars need the following if they are on the fixed annual service:-

"Most Volkswagens require a fixed service. For the first three years of ownership, your car will require an annual service inspection and oil service.

1st service (oil service) – at 9,300 miles or when your car is 12 months old.
2nd service – at 18,600 miles or when your car is 24 months old.
3rd service – at 27,900 miles or when your car is 36 months old.

For Volkswagens older than three years, we recommend either a Minor or Major Service.

Minor Service – recommended every 12 months or 10,000 miles
Major Service – recommended every 2 years or 20,000 miles
For the best results we recommend alternating Minor and Major services."

My car had its second service and inspection earlier this week. The inspection appears to be what they call a complimentary health check where they carry out a visual check on the following:-

Internal - warning lamps, interior lamps, horn, instruments, wipers and washers, seatbelts, clutch, foot and hand brake operation.

External - Body damage, trim, glass, mirrors, external lights, wiper blades and lock operation.

Under Bonnet - Brake fluid condition, battery condition, coolant level, engine oil level, power steering fluid level, drive belts, screenwash level

Brakes and Bearings - Visual check of brake discs, pads, brake hoses and dampers

Underbody and Suspension - Steering, drive shafts, hoses, oil leaks, exhaust system (front, centre and rear silencer)

Other -

Tyres - tread depth and condition

The service was pretty similar to the first service of an oil change etc. I also had the air conditioning refreshed and the pano-roof serviced (which included flushing the drain tubes and lubricating the roof for which the 'special lubricant' costs £44 for a 30ml bottle - £34 on Amazon). They also replaced the pollen filter. Since I have a VW service and maintenance plan, all of this work was covered by the plan (I am not sure I would have bothered with the air con refresh or the sunroof service (I can flush the drain tubes myself) otherwise as I am not convinced that it was needed but as it was at no extra cost - why not?).

I hope this helps
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TSI 230 4Motion DSG - White with Vienna Leather, Head-up Display, TPMS, Side Scan & Voice Activation

GaryP

Post by GaryP » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:30 pm

Thank you John27
Ours went in today for an inspection but on the paperwork it’s due a service in July? Ours is on a service plan so not cost anything. They wanted to charge for the air con service and not mentioned the sunroof.

John27

Post by John27 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:31 am

Hi GaryP
Yes, on a service plan, they just cover the cost of the service. The sunroof and aircon services are normally chargeable unless you have the service and maintenance plan as I have. I wouldn't otherwise bother with either of these unless you are having a specific problem or are unable to flush the roof drain tubes yourself. Interestingly, while they told me about the air con service, I had to ask about the sunroof service (only because I read about it on this forum somewhere).
2019 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TSI 230 4Motion DSG - White with Vienna Leather, Head-up Display, TPMS, Side Scan & Voice Activation